LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
tovis
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Budapest
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 74

Rep: Reputation: 15
Modules, daemons - think modular


In most situation I'm using near to minimalistic configurations. Old time I always recompile kernel, but for now Working on test box Dell GX200 - P3 866MHz 256 M RAM onboard NIC (3Com 3c905C), audio (82801AA attached AC'97) and nvidia RIVA TNT2.
I try to use what we have from Etch - a lot of unneded (for me and my purposes) modules and daemons.
I have a secondary NIC - RTL8139D - and two driver modules loaded for it 8139too and 8139cp, I have been tried "blacklist" (/etc/modules.d ) each of them, remove the driver from command line is working for 8139cp - NIC continue working. Remove 8139too - NIC is goes down! OK I've been put into blacklist, reboot, but nothing was changed!
Same situation with thermal, processor and fan ACPI drivers, dm_snapshot, dm_mirror and dm_mod also could not been removed with this method! I do not need this stuff at all!
When I'm try to remove them by hand (modprobe -r unneed) I have message that they are in use!
Who is using dm_* drivers - I have a single 10 G IDE drive and a CD-ROM!?
 
Old 01-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
utanja
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Europe:Salzburg Austria USA:Orlando,Florida;
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 643

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovis View Post
In most situation I'm using near to minimalistic configurations. Old time I always recompile kernel, but for now Working on test box Dell GX200 - P3 866MHz 256 M RAM onboard NIC (3Com 3c905C), audio (82801AA attached AC'97) and nvidia RIVA TNT2.
I try to use what we have from Etch - a lot of unneded (for me and my purposes) modules and daemons.
I have a secondary NIC - RTL8139D - and two driver modules loaded for it 8139too and 8139cp, I have been tried "blacklist" (/etc/modules.d ) each of them, remove the driver from command line is working for 8139cp - NIC continue working. Remove 8139too - NIC is goes down! OK I've been put into blacklist, reboot, but nothing was changed!
Same situation with thermal, processor and fan ACPI drivers, dm_snapshot, dm_mirror and dm_mod also could not been removed with this method! I do not need this stuff at all!
When I'm try to remove them by hand (modprobe -r unneed) I have message that they are in use!
Who is using dm_* drivers - I have a single 10 G IDE drive and a CD-ROM!?
have you tired rebuilding the kernel?...
 
Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Dutch Master
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,686

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
Direct your rant to the Debian dev's, but be more diplomatic then...

Fact is that Debian is not aimed at a Budapest user with minimal hardware and no need for many options. Instead, the Debian dev's aim to get Debian to work on as many hardware configurations as possible: from an old PII to today's quad-core 64-bit processors... That means it has options many people won't use. Either live with it, or ditch Debian and build your own Linux from scratch. Use LFS, Gentoo or even Slackware.
 
Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
tovis
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Budapest
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 74

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
You may be right Dutch Master. I'm trying to configure for my purposes - of course if it is not possible than sorry!
By the way, if unneded modules and daemons could not been stopped that mean it the resulting box could not meat high security level. Also two drivers for the same NIC - is this good for some one, on the world? I have a dirty and quick method - rename apropriate modules, that way the init process could not load them - of course many mean less error messages, but the box will work! - It could not be the answer.
 
Old 01-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
tovis
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Budapest
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 74

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
As I'm told - I'm hide dm_mod, dm_mirror and dm_snapshot - seem to be nothing was changed, also kmirrord kernel daemon is also gone. Box work properly - seem to be. No error messages in syslog and dmesg - it is quite strange!?
Really is this the method?
 
Old 01-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
utanja
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Europe:Salzburg Austria USA:Orlando,Florida;
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 643

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Direct your rant to the Debian dev's, but be more diplomatic then...

Fact is that Debian is not aimed at a Budapest user with minimal hardware and no need for many options. Instead, the Debian dev's aim to get Debian to work on as many hardware configurations as possible: from an old PII to today's quad-core 64-bit processors... That means it has options many people won't use. Either live with it, or ditch Debian and build your own Linux from scratch. Use LFS, Gentoo or even Slackware.
i hope that your first comment was not aimed at me......

for me, rebuilding and removing those hardware devices, daemons etc. has created a nice compact kernel for me...
 
Old 01-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #7
tovis
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Budapest
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 74

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
for me, rebuilding and removing those hardware devices, daemons etc. has created a nice compact kernel for me...
For this the blacklist was enough!?
1. 8139cp vs 8139too
from dmesg ist it clean that the system first try "too" but recognizes that this is not
good for my card and switch to "cp" but "too" stay in memory!?
2. I suspect that some parts are remain from initrd - for example dm_mod and parts - may be
I need to make a new initrd - much less time consuming than make a new kernel from sources.
One thing I relaized with mkinitrd that it is grown against the original! What settings are used to make initial initrd image?
 
Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Dutch Master
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,686

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by utanja View Post
i hope that your first comment was not aimed at me......
No it wasn't. I replied while you were writing yours and I never saw your reply until after I posted mine.
 
Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
utanja
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Europe:Salzburg Austria USA:Orlando,Florida;
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 643

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovis View Post
For this the blacklist was enough!?
1. 8139cp vs 8139too
from dmesg ist it clean that the system first try "too" but recognizes that this is not
good for my card and switch to "cp" but "too" stay in memory!?
2. I suspect that some parts are remain from initrd - for example dm_mod and parts - may be
I need to make a new initrd - much less time consuming than make a new kernel from sources.
One thing I relaized with mkinitrd that it is grown against the original! What settings are used to make initial initrd image?
again.....if you create a new custom kernel you will also get a smaller kernel, initrd etc.....
see the following for instructions

http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_com...on_debian_etch

this will work for debian....stable,testing or unstable.....
 
Old 01-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
tovis
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Budapest
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 74

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks utanja!
I making/compiling kernels started from 2.4.1x, from 486SX up to P4 2.8 GHz ...
I have learned how to compile kernels for different box(es) with result a .deb package.
For now I thought this is the time to use modular kernel - it is and old fight microkernel vs. monolithic. All moduls world in Linux is about this and the problem of devices, with some accent on new hardwares and hardware classes.
I give up it is not that time
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
toshiba modular support cjae Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 05-02-2006 05:11 AM
user space daemons, kernel patches, modules ajitkth Linux - General 0 02-21-2005 08:01 AM
Modular Programming with Plugins oulevon Programming 3 10-30-2004 03:11 PM
Re: modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than lib/modules/2.4.9/modules.d Andy.M Linux - General 1 01-24-2002 01:50 AM
Re: modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than lib/modules/2.4.9/modules.d Andy.M Linux - Newbie 2 01-24-2002 01:40 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration