LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
CrazyGuy158
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 105

Rep: Reputation: 1
How to install latest Xfce and LXDE?


Hey guys. I recently installed Debian 6.0.5 Squeeze and from the looks of it, it comes with Gnome 2.

I'd like to know how to install the latest LXDE and the latest Xfce (which is 4.10). I tried googling this, but it wasn't of much help.

I have an xorg server installed already and I've added the Xfce experimental repo to my sources.list but when I'm about to actually install Xfce, I get a bunch of errors which says I miss a few packages, but they're not going to be installed, yada yada yada.
 
Old 06-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 15,827
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209
No yada, yada, yada. If you want us to help you we need the relevant information, which includes your sources.list, the exact command you launched and the exact error messages. We neither can see your screen, access your computer nor read your mind to figure out what is going on.
 
Old 06-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
CrazyGuy158
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 105

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
No yada, yada, yada. If you want us to help you we need the relevant information, which includes your sources.list, the exact command you launched and the exact error messages. We neither can see your screen, access your computer nor read your mind to figure out what is going on.

The guide I followed: http://www.thethoughtsbubble.com/201...in-debian.html

My sources.list
Code:
# 

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.5 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20120512-20:43]/ squeeze main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.5 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20120512-20:43]/ squeeze main

deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
deb-src http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main
The last entry which is highlighted is the experimental repo I was to add. The command I entered: apt-get -t experimental install xfce4

The condump:
Code:
root@debian:/home/martin# apt-get -t experimental install xfce4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 xfce4 : Depends: xfwm4 (>= 4.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: xfconf (>= 4.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: xfce4-settings (>= 4.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: xfce4-panel (>= 4.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: xfdesktop4 (>= 4.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: thunar (>= 1.4.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: gtk2-engines-xfce (>= 3.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: xfce4-session (>= 4.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: xfce4-appfinder (>= 4.10.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: xfce4-mixer (>= 4.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: orage (>= 4.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: libxfce4ui-utils (>= 4.10) but it is not going to be installed
         Recommends: thunar-volman (>= 0.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
         Recommends: xfce4-notifyd but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
 
Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Whatever fits the task best
Posts: 15,827
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209
The problem is rather simple: The guides headline is How to Install XFCE 4.10 in Debian Testing, but you are not using Debian Testing, you are using Stable.
Upgrade to Wheezy/Testing and this will work, but keep in mind that will give you many updates a day, something you didn't want in your other thread.
 
Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
CrazyGuy158
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 105

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
The problem is rather simple: The guides headline is How to Install XFCE 4.10 in Debian Testing, but you are not using Debian Testing, you are using Stable.
Upgrade to Wheezy/Testing and this will work, but keep in mind that will give you many updates a day, something you didn't want in your other thread.
I'll let it slide, then.
 
Old 06-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Posts: 1,432
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 455Reputation: 455Reputation: 455Reputation: 455Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGuy158 View Post
I'd like to know how to install the latest LXDE and the latest Xfce (which is 4.10).
Keep in mind that Stable does not have the latest versions of everything. It is stable, because packages are added after all the bugs have been worked out. So many applications are a version behind the latest, if the latest version is recent.

For future reference; you do not want to mix Unstable or Testing with Stable. It will cause headaches.
 
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
widget
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: S.E. Montana
Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE
Posts: 2,461

Rep: Reputation: 438Reputation: 438Reputation: 438Reputation: 438Reputation: 438
You can also easily install Debian Stable, Squeeze with Xfce (4.6) or Lxde. There is an install disk for that. They come on the same disk and you choose which one to go with in the boot menu.

Not knowing if you need a 32 or 64 bit image (a little info really is nice to have) and as I use 64bit;
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...-1.iso.torrent
or
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...+lxde-CD-1.iso

You can actually upgrade to the newest from Squeeze but this is not recommended because this is not considered stable by Debian definition.

Squeeze backports probably, I don't know, have Xfce4.8.

I use Debian testing as my production OS. I do have Squeeze on here and use it as my secure business OS. As I want it to be stable and secure I do not use backports on it at all or install packages from testing or sid.

Xfce is the DE that I prefer. Lxde is pretty nice to.

You may want to concider installing another / partition, assuming that you install on / and /home, that is Debian Wheezy (testing). You can use the same /home as long as you use a different user name (so that there is no conflict between user configuration files). The two users can use the same regular (non hidden) files as long as they are in the same group.

I have a Wheezy install using Xfce and a Sid install with Lxde sharing a common /home. I also have an install of Squeeze, Wheezy and Sid all using OpenBox sharing a common /home on my test platform as I am trying to broaden my horizons by using OB (Like it very much by the way).

You save a lot of space with a shared /home.

If you have never used testing or Sid, I would recommend you install "apt-listbugs". This will warn you of any KNOWN bugs against a package you are trying to install or upgrade. This can save you a lot of grief.
 
Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
CrazyGuy158
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 105

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget View Post
You can also easily install Debian Stable, Squeeze with Xfce (4.6) or Lxde. There is an install disk for that. They come on the same disk and you choose which one to go with in the boot menu.

Not knowing if you need a 32 or 64 bit image (a little info really is nice to have) and as I use 64bit;
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...-1.iso.torrent
or
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...+lxde-CD-1.iso

You can actually upgrade to the newest from Squeeze but this is not recommended because this is not considered stable by Debian definition.

Squeeze backports probably, I don't know, have Xfce4.8.

I use Debian testing as my production OS. I do have Squeeze on here and use it as my secure business OS. As I want it to be stable and secure I do not use backports on it at all or install packages from testing or sid.

Xfce is the DE that I prefer. Lxde is pretty nice to.

You may want to concider installing another / partition, assuming that you install on / and /home, that is Debian Wheezy (testing). You can use the same /home as long as you use a different user name (so that there is no conflict between user configuration files). The two users can use the same regular (non hidden) files as long as they are in the same group.

I have a Wheezy install using Xfce and a Sid install with Lxde sharing a common /home. I also have an install of Squeeze, Wheezy and Sid all using OpenBox sharing a common /home on my test platform as I am trying to broaden my horizons by using OB (Like it very much by the way).

You save a lot of space with a shared /home.

If you have never used testing or Sid, I would recommend you install "apt-listbugs". This will warn you of any KNOWN bugs against a package you are trying to install or upgrade. This can save you a lot of grief.
I run Ubuntu 12.04 now I have installed the xfce environment now so I'm all good. Thanks anyway, though.
 
Old 07-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #9
nixblog
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 426

Rep: Reputation: 52
If you need version 4.10 of XFCE in Debian you will have to move to testing/sid repos. I use it here and is pretty rock solid.
 
Old 07-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #10
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGuy158 View Post
I run Ubuntu 12.04 now I have installed the xfce environment now so I'm all good. Thanks anyway, though.
xfce4 in 12.04 is 4.8, not 4.10.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/xfce4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixblog View Post
If you need version 4.10 of XFCE in Debian you will have to move to testing/sid repos. I use it here and is pretty rock solid.
Nope, sid/unstable is still at 4.8 now-

http://packages.debian.org/sid/xfce4

To get 4.10 from debian you have to use the experimental repos.
 
Old 07-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
nixblog
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 426

Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
Nope, sid/unstable is still at 4.8 now-

http://packages.debian.org/sid/xfce4

To get 4.10 from debian you have to use the experimental repos.
LOL sorry I was thinking of my Arch install when I wrote that - thanks for highlighting that

My Debian system is actually 4.8 and as I said, is rock solid.

Last edited by nixblog; 07-01-2012 at 04:52 AM.
 
Old 07-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Yeah, I've run debian 'sid' with xfce for ages now, and its never given me any issues.

When I read you post, I actually checked the debian packages just in case 4.10 had come down to sid from experimental when I wasnt looking. LOL.

(I'm not using Xfc4e on my internet/general use computer, or else I would have known the Xfce4 status in sid without checking)
 
Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
CrazyGuy158
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2012
Posts: 105

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
xfce4 in 12.04 is 4.8, not 4.10.
I know. I did install the 4.10 package.

By the way, this thread can be locked and/or removed as i do not run Debian anymore. I run Ubuntu, its derivative.
 
Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Posts: 1,432
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 455Reputation: 455Reputation: 455Reputation: 455Reputation: 455
Instead of removing the thread, why not mark it as solved?
(Use the thread tools at the top of the screen.)
 
Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904Reputation: 904
Threads here are not normally locked or deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGuy158 View Post
I run Ubuntu, its derivative.
They get further and further apart every day.......
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XFCE vs. LXDE rkski Linux - Desktop 7 06-04-2012 05:01 AM
how to start xfce or lxde rng Linux - General 8 01-09-2012 09:34 AM
LXDE vs XFCE flebber Linux - Desktop 13 08-27-2011 03:47 AM
[SOLVED] Change from LXDE to XFCE---> Easy Way ? jv2112 Linux - Newbie 2 09-06-2010 06:01 PM
Xfce, Lxde rolandpish Linux - Desktop 14 07-22-2010 01:44 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration