LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #31
replica9000
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Debian, FreeBSD, Android
Posts: 1,053
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgsboson View Post
Yes, but this is a thread about debootstrap - not cd neinstalls. Debian is offering more programs for people to use.
The programs will be a complete waste if nobody uses them. Their benefits never be understood.
I'm just trying to learn about the debootstrap program and see what benefits it can offer.
I'm glad you're not giving up so easily, but using debootstrap is more for someone experienced building up a system with minimal tools included. Be glad you didn't try the variant=minbase option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
That is the reason I posted that website. If copying the /etc/network/interfaces from the host system isn't working maybe setting up static ip and/or copy /etc/resolv.conf from the host system will help, if your using a wired connection. Before you use wireless, firmware will have to be installed and extra configuration steps taken.

It is if everything works. If not, then you got to pop the hood, as the saying goes, find out what is wrong and fix it. Which usually means using the command line and lots of googling.
In the test I did yesterday, I used Mint 17.1. The /etc/network/interfaces file doesn't included entries for eth0. I'll have to update the OP later since copying that file won't be a reliable option.
 
Old 01-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #32
Higgsboson
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian 8 Cinnamon/Xfce/gnome classic Debian live usb
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
That is the reason I posted that website. If copying the /etc/network/interfaces from the host system isn't working maybe setting up static ip and/or copy /etc/resolv.conf from the host system will help, if your using a wired connection. Before you use wireless, firmware will have to be installed and extra configuration steps taken.
I went into /etc/network/interfaces on the host system (debian live USB) and it shows the following:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
If I go into /etc/resolv.config on the host system - then it seems to be showing my IP address. So this might be a good option.

However, before I did the debootstrap install I partitioned my hdd with gparted.
But after the install, I realised I was getting an error code for all my partitions:
Code:
root@debian:/# fdisk -l /dev/sda1
Disk /dev/sda1: 41.9 GB, 41943040000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5099 cylinders, total 81920000 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
So now I'm checking up this error code on a different thread.
Funny thing is, debootstrap did seem to have a successful install albeit without a shell and no apparent network connection.
Once I've sorted out the partition problem, I might well re-install with debootstrap and copy /etc/resolv.conf from the host system like you suggested.
Thanks for your help!
 
Old 01-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #33
replica9000
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Debian, FreeBSD, Android
Posts: 1,053
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgsboson View Post
I went into /etc/network/interfaces on the host system (debian live USB) and it shows the following:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
If I go into /etc/resolv.config on the host system - then it seems to be showing my IP address. So this might be a good option.
/etc/network/interfaces should like this:
Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgsboson View Post
However, before I did the debootstrap install I partitioned my hdd with gparted.
But after the install, I realised I was getting an error code for all my partitions:
Code:
root@debian:/# fdisk -l /dev/sda1
Disk /dev/sda1: 41.9 GB, 41943040000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5099 cylinders, total 81920000 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
So now I'm checking up this error code on a different thread.
Funny thing is, debootstrap did seem to have a successful install albeit without a shell and no apparent network connection.
Once I've sorted out the partition problem, I might well re-install with debootstrap and copy /etc/resolv.conf from the host system like you suggested.
Thanks for your help!
You probably want to use fdisk -l /dev/sda instead of fdisk -l /dev/sda1
 
Old 01-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #34
EDDY1
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 6,838

Rep: Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649
@higgsbosn
I think that you jumped into an arena which is too advanced for you.
Learning how to install from cd would be 1st step.
chrooting & recovering a broken system would be 2nd
Debootstrapping 3rd
Then installing LFS, Gentoo or Arch.
 
Old 01-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #35
Higgsboson
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian 8 Cinnamon/Xfce/gnome classic Debian live usb
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica9000 View Post
/etc/network/interfaces should like this:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
This is good to know. I may try copying this onto the relevant file on the hdd and rebooting.

Quote:
You probably want to use fdisk -l /dev/sda instead of fdisk -l /dev/sda1
I see. I'm using the fdisk cmd incorrectly. Well, that's a relief! I thought all my partitions were messed up! Thanks dude!
 
Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #36
Higgsboson
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian 8 Cinnamon/Xfce/gnome classic Debian live usb
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDY1 View Post
@higgsbosn
I think that you jumped into an arena which is too advanced for you.
Learning how to install from cd would be 1st step.
chrooting & recovering a broken system would be 2nd
Debootstrapping 3rd
Then installing LFS, Gentoo or Arch.
The dvd rw discs have been ordered and are on their way.
 
Old 01-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #37
replica9000
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Debian, FreeBSD, Android
Posts: 1,053
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgsboson View Post
The dvd rw discs have been ordered and are on their way.
You should be able to download a net-install cd image, and copy it to a USB drive instead of burning iso images.

Assuming /dev/sdc is an empty USB drive:
Code:
dd if=debian-7.7.0-amd64-netinst.iso of=/dev/sdc

Last edited by replica9000; 01-06-2015 at 12:49 PM.
 
Old 01-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #38
EDDY1
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Oakland,Ca
Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy
Posts: 6,838

Rep: Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgsboson View Post
The dvd rw discs have been ordered and are on their way.
The dvd's or cd's can be downloaded & burned just like the live-cd that you have.
 
Old 01-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #39
Higgsboson
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian 8 Cinnamon/Xfce/gnome classic Debian live usb
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica9000 View Post
You should be able to download a net-install cd image, and copy it to a USB drive instead of burning iso images.
Yes, I've downloaded a debian netinstall .iso onto my live USB.
Unfortunately, the live USB version I have comes without debian-installer.
'Apt-get install debian-installer' doesn't work because Synaptic shows it's just a bunch of page files.
The proper debian-installer is a .iso file. I can fetch that with 'apt-get install' cmd.

But in order to extract the debian-installer .iso and install it - I need debian installer!
That's why I turned to debootstrap.
However, I have a partitioned hdd in ext4 format and a debian live USB without debian-installer. Any possibility I could install a debian OS onto a hard disk without a cd?
 
Old 01-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #40
Higgsboson
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian 8 Cinnamon/Xfce/gnome classic Debian live usb
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDY1 View Post
The dvd's or cd's can be downloaded & burned just like the live-cd that you have.
Yes, I need to burn the .iso onto a disc.
I just don't have the rw discs yet. Never used the rw function on my dvd player. I don't even know if it actually works!

I have a debian live USB. The debian OS was installed onto USB via a downloaded 'bootloader' program. There wasn't any burning of discs needed.
 
Old 01-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #41
colorpurple21859
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: florida panhandle
Distribution: slackware64-current, puppy, ubuntu
Posts: 2,144

Rep: Reputation: 302Reputation: 302Reputation: 302Reputation: 302
What menu options do you get when you first boot the usb?
 
Old 01-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #42
Head_on_a_Stick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: London, England
Distribution: Arch & Debian
Posts: 1,183

Rep: Reputation: 283Reputation: 283Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgsboson View Post
Yes, I've downloaded a debian netinstall .iso onto my live USB.
Unfortunately, the live USB version I have comes without debian-installer.
'Apt-get install debian-installer' doesn't work because Synaptic shows it's just a bunch of page files.
The proper debian-installer is a .iso file. I can fetch that with 'apt-get install' cmd.

But in order to extract the debian-installer .iso and install it - I need debian installer!
That's why I turned to debootstrap.
However, I have a partitioned hdd in ext4 format and a debian live USB without debian-installer. Any possibility I could install a debian OS onto a hard disk without a cd?
You have this all mixed up -- the .iso needs to be transferred verbatim to a USB stick; just "copying" it or "downloading" it on to the USB stick will not work.

You do not "extract" the .iso, you just transfer the contents to the USB stick.

As I have already told you, the "debian-installer" package is not the Debian Installer -- it is the documentation for the installer.

Download the netinstall .iso and then use this command:
Code:
sudo dd if=netinstall.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4096;sync
Where "netinstall.iso" is the name of the .iso and "/dev/sdb" is the location of your USB stick (plug in the stick in & then run the command `dmesg|tail` to find this).

Once the `dd` command has finished, you can reboot the computer (with the stick in) and select the USB stick from your firmware (BIOS) menu -- it will then boot up from the USB stick and run the installer.
 
Old 01-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #43
Higgsboson
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian 8 Cinnamon/Xfce/gnome classic Debian live usb
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorpurple21859 View Post
What menu options do you get when you first boot the usb?
That's a good point. There isn't any login screen - debian opens up automatically. The gnome shell doesn't load.

If I want to be 'root', I open the root terminal - no password is needed.
My debian live USB was installed via Yumi bootloader (from pendrivelinux). It's a scaled down version of the proper live debian USB because it doesn't have debian installer.

There are few bootloaders which will allow you to install linux onto a USB from a Windows environment.
And even if you use the well-known Unetbootin program, it will see your well-known Sandisk USB as a hard disk and therefore will not run.
 
Old 01-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #44
Higgsboson
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian 8 Cinnamon/Xfce/gnome classic Debian live usb
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
Download the netinstall .iso and then use this command:
Code:
sudo dd if=netinstall.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4096;sync
Where "netinstall.iso" is the name of the .iso and "/dev/sdb" is the location of your USB stick (plug in the stick in & then run the command `dmesg|tail` to find this).
I don't have a linux OS on hard disk.
The only linux OS I have is on the live USB I'm using right now.

I'm not sure I can transfer a .iso file onto the USB while I'm using the same USB as the operating system.
 
Old 01-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #45
Head_on_a_Stick
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: London, England
Distribution: Arch & Debian
Posts: 1,183

Rep: Reputation: 283Reputation: 283Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgsboson View Post
I'm not sure I can transfer a .iso file onto the USB while I'm using the same USB as the operating system.
No, you can't.

You could transfer it to a different USB stick though.

If you have a working Windows system, you can use the "USBWriter" utility to transfer the .iso:
http://sourceforge.net/p/usbwriter/wiki/Documentation/
 
  


Reply

Tags
chroot, debian, debootstrap, ubuntu


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
chroot debian 32 bits on amd64 debootstrap error. mariogarcia Debian 2 02-23-2011 02:20 AM
Debian PPC Install errors (debootstrap, error 1) kdepa Debian 3 03-29-2007 06:27 AM
LXer: Installing Debian GNU/Linux using debootstrap LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-21-2006 10:21 AM
Debian install error /usr/lib/debootstrap/pkgdetails GT_Onizuka Debian 0 11-01-2005 01:11 AM
There have a error with debootstrap install debian cbz789 Debian 2 04-22-2005 06:20 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration