LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #46
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,418

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155

Thank you Brains for explaining all of that information for me. I appreciate it.

I think I'd like to just boot into Mint and take care of it that way 'if' necessary.

-:::-I've learned not to do things with my Linux boxes when I'm tired. I will re-read your post #44 tomorrow after a good nights sleep and go from there.-:::-

Quote:
But it's highly unlikely you'll need to reinstall mdadm.
I believe you are right.

I don't think that mdadm has it's hooks in the boot process at all. You?
 
Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #47
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 971

Rep: Reputation: 259Reputation: 259Reputation: 259
It is possible that mdadm was installed automatically because the installer noticed 3 drives were present.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #48
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,418

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains View Post
It is possible that mdadm was installed automatically because the installer noticed 3 drives were present.
Yeah, I'm thinking that's what happened:-

Anyway.....I re-read post #44 and basically I need to run this:

Code:
mount /dev/xxxx /mnt       
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
chroot /mnt
apt install mdadm
exit 
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do umount /mnt$i; done
umount /mnt
in the terminal of my Mint installation: only if mdadm needs to be installed again, and
than reboot into Debian....right?

Any other details I should know?
 
Old 03-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #49
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 971

Rep: Reputation: 259Reputation: 259Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Any other details I should know?
When you go to uninstall via command line with apt, it'll give a list of everything that will get uninstalled before you confirm, copy and paste that list into a text editor and store it in Mint. Good to keep track.
 
Old 03-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #50
descendant_command
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,692

Rep: Reputation: 517Reputation: 517Reputation: 517Reputation: 517Reputation: 517Reputation: 517
It gets logged in /var/log/apt as well.
 
Old 03-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #51
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,418

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains View Post
When you go to uninstall via command line with apt, it'll give a list of everything that will get uninstalled before you confirm, copy and paste that list into a text editor and store it in Mint. Good to keep track.
Thank you-

If after removing mdadm Debian won't boot I'll have to check first if chroot is installed in Mint.

I'll let you know what happens.
 
Old 03-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #52
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 19.1 MATE
Posts: 7,519
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 2640Reputation: 2640Reputation: 2640Reputation: 2640Reputation: 2640Reputation: 2640Reputation: 2640Reputation: 2640Reputation: 2640Reputation: 2640Reputation: 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Thank you-

If after removing mdadm Debian won't boot I'll have to check first if chroot is installed in Mint.

I'll let you know what happens.
I haven't been following the rest of this thread so apologies if I'm off the mark here, but the chroot command comes in the coreutils package and thus is available in Mint. It's in /usr/sbin.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #53
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,418

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
I haven't been following the rest of this thread so apologies if I'm off the mark here, but the chroot command comes in the coreutils package and thus is available in Mint. It's in /usr/sbin.
Thanks for letting me know:-
 
Old 03-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #54
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,418

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155
After removing mdadm Debian now boots in 3 to 5 seconds. The error message at boot up is gone. Thank you Brains-

The mdadm directory and the mdadm.conf is still in the /etc/ root directory.

Now, I've never used gksudo. Can I just use apt to remove the mdadm directory?
 
Old 03-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #55
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,418

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155
In other words just run this:

Code:
sudo rm -r nameofdirectory
 
Old 03-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #56
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 971

Rep: Reputation: 259Reputation: 259Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
In other words just run this:

Code:
sudo rm -r nameofdirectory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Can I just use apt to remove the mdadm directory?
Use command as root or sudo: rm -rf /etc/mdadm
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #57
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 971

Rep: Reputation: 259Reputation: 259Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
After removing mdadm Debian now boots in 3 to 5 seconds.
Of my 6 Linux distros, Debian Testing is the fastest at getting to a usable desktop, and that's with heavy weight KDE.
 
Old 03-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #58
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,418

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains View Post
Of my 6 Linux distros, Debian Testing is the fastest at getting to a usable desktop, and that's with heavy weight KDE.
Considering that KDE is a RAM hog; that's great news.

Is your Debian Testing on an SSD or a regular HDD? How many seconds till a usable DE?

-:::-Taking a break than I'll rm that directory and mark this solved:--:::-
 
Old 03-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #59
Brains
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Distribution: Debian testing
Posts: 971

Rep: Reputation: 259Reputation: 259Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztcoracat View Post
Considering that KDE is a RAM hog; that's great news.

Is your Debian Testing on an SSD or a regular HDD? How many seconds till a usable DE?

-:::-Taking a break than I'll rm that directory and mark this solved:--:::-
On an SSD, 16GB ram, I would say around 8-10 seconds.
You can also try command: sudo apt autoremove to see if that will remove the directory. Below is from the man page.
Code:
autoremove (apt-get(8))
           autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed as dependencies changed or the package(s)
           needing them were removed in the meantime.

           You should check that the list does not include applications you have grown to like even though they were once installed just as a dependency of another package. You can mark such a
           package as manually installed by using apt-mark(8). Packages which you have installed explicitly via install are also never proposed for automatic removal.
 
Old 03-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #60
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware, MX 18
Posts: 9,418

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155Reputation: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains View Post
On an SSD, 16GB ram, I would say around 8-10 seconds.
You can also try command: sudo apt autoremove to see if that will remove the directory. Below is from the man page.
Code:
autoremove (apt-get(8))
           autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed as dependencies changed or the package(s)
           needing them were removed in the meantime.

           You should check that the list does not include applications you have grown to like even though they were once installed just as a dependency of another package. You can mark such a
           package as manually installed by using apt-mark(8). Packages which you have installed explicitly via install are also never proposed for automatic removal.
Thanks to you my Debian system now boots in 5 seconds to get me to the login.

My PS3 just locked up. Seems like there is always something going on.

Last edited by Ztcoracat; 03-09-2019 at 06:34 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long time member, long time *nix user, about time to say hi. stuman LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 0 10-15-2013 07:35 AM
Aboout "with very long lines",how long is very long? yun1st Linux - Newbie 4 07-20-2012 03:38 PM
long long long: Too long for GCC Kenny_Strawn Programming 5 09-18-2010 01:14 AM
Fedora9 now taking long time to boot terry-duell Fedora 7 12-10-2008 10:16 PM
SuSE 10.1 taking a long time to boot up adityavpratap SUSE / openSUSE 2 07-04-2006 06:51 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration