LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
synaptical
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4
Posts: 2,020

Rep: Reputation: 48
can't boot 2.6.8.1


i keep getting a "kernel panic, vms: can't mount the root fs," after upgrading my kernel to 2.6.x.

what i did:

downloaded the kernel from kernel.org, untarred it in /usr/src/, made a /usr/src/linux symlink, configured the kernel, make && make modules_install, copied the bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1, copied System.map to /boot, added the image to grub/menu.lst:
Code:
title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8.1
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda2 ro
savedefault
boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.25-1-386
root            (hd0,2)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.4.25-1-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro
initrd          /initrd.img-2.4.25-1-386
savedefault
boot
/boot is ext3 on /dev/hda3, root is /dev/hda2 on xfs. i have ext2, ext3, and xfs built into the kernel.

i've also tried using lilo (preferred bootloader actually), with the same problem then starting for all kernels -- which is why i though i would try it with grub. also, maybe it's worth mentioning that this is after a fresh install (after trying before trashed my webserver ) with only the base system and module-init-tools installed, and a couple of other non-relevant things (ncurses-dev, lynx, etc.)

i saw the "guide to 2.6 kernel on debian," but i don't need an initrd (or maybe i do, it seems ). i guess mainly i'm wondering why the same method that works on every other linux -- and which worked for me when i originally did the 2.4.24 last year -- doesn't work on debian. what am i missing with 2.6?? thx.
 
Old 09-21-2004, 08:24 PM   #2
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,656

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
Should not this be root (hd0,2) like the other image.

[code]
title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8.1
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda2 ro
savedefault
[code]

Other than that maybe you left out support for the chipset on the motherboard.
 
Old 09-21-2004, 08:29 PM   #3
synaptical
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4
Posts: 2,020

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 48
oops, yeah, it was (hd0,2) and i also tried hd0,1 thinking it was looking for initrd on hd0,2.

this is an intel BX440 motherboard, and i believe i have support for that in the kernel.


>edit: i installed lilo again, and now i can boot the original kernel, but not 2.6.8.1. it must be some kernel option -- i'm going back to check that now -- or again, something to do with initrd?

Code:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1
        label="Linux-2.6.8.1"
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-1-386
        label="Linux 2.4.25-0"
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.25-1-386
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only

Last edited by synaptical; 09-21-2004 at 09:10 PM.
 
Old 09-21-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
talkingwires
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: Boone, NC
Distribution: Debian SID
Posts: 49

Rep: Reputation: 15
I followed the Debian Kernel 2.6 Guide and it worked without a hitch. If you're looking for a newer kernel, or one made for your CPU, just change the name of the apt package. Last time I checked, they had 2.6.8 available for most architectures in Unstable (I'm using the K7 build for Athlons). It's a lot easier than building one yourself.
 
Old 09-22-2004, 12:11 AM   #5
synaptical
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4
Posts: 2,020

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally posted by talkingwires
I followed the Debian Kernel 2.6 Guide and it worked without a hitch. If you're looking for a newer kernel, or one made for your CPU, just change the name of the apt package. Last time I checked, they had 2.6.8 available for most architectures in Unstable (I'm using the K7 build for Athlons). It's a lot easier than building one yourself.
i might end up doing that, but esp. since this is a server i'd prefer to try to figure out as much as possible what the problem is first. it's a real hassle to have to bring the computer in (it runs in the garage) and set up a monitor, keyboard, etc. because something got fscked up and i can't boot or ssh in anymore. i'm following the debian.org kernel guide to try it again, i'll see if that works.

i'd also like to find out what's going on with all the VFS errors i'm getting rebooting even after a fresh install. i can't figure out where they're coming from or how to disable whatever's causing them:
Code:
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Partition check:
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel:  /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: [PTBL] [524/255/63] p1 p2 p3 p4
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel:  /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0: [PTBL] [787/128/63] p1
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Journalled Block Device driver loaded
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,2).
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 03:02.
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0(3,2)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: SGI XFS with no debug enabled
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: XFS mounting filesystem ide0(3,2)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,2).
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 03:02.
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0(3,2)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: XFS mounting filesystem ide0(3,2)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Adding Swap: 329272k swap-space (priority -1)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Real Time Clock Driver v1.10f
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: device-mapper: 4.0.5-ioctl (2003-11-18) initialised: dm@uk.sistina.com
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on ide0(3,3), internal journal
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: XFS mounting filesystem ide0(3,4)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on ide1(22,65), internal journal
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
i don't even have ext2, FAT or Reiserfs filesystems compiled into the kernel. is that behavior controlled by the /etc/init.d/mountall.sh script? i'm just wondering if whatever that's about is the same thing causing the VMS kernel panic error with 2.6.
 
Old 09-22-2004, 01:17 AM   #6
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,656

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally posted by synaptical
i might end up doing that, but esp. since this is a server i'd prefer to try to figure out as much as possible what the problem is first. it's a real hassle to have to bring the computer in (it runs in the garage) and set up a monitor, keyboard, etc. because something got fscked up and i can't boot or ssh in anymore. i'm following the debian.org kernel guide to try it again, i'll see if that works.
Save yourself the grief and get it going inside first then put it in the garage. Plus you may want to try this guide http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
Quote:
i'd also like to find out what's going on with all the VFS errors i'm getting rebooting even after a fresh install. i can't figure out where they're coming from or how to disable whatever's causing them:
Code:
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Partition check:
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel:  /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: [PTBL] [524/255/63] p1 p2 p3 p4
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel:  /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0: [PTBL] [787/128/63] p1
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Journalled Block Device driver loaded
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,2).
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 03:02.
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0(3,2)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: SGI XFS with no debug enabled
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: XFS mounting filesystem ide0(3,2)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,2).
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 03:02.
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ide0(3,2)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: XFS mounting filesystem ide0(3,2)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Adding Swap: 329272k swap-space (priority -1)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: Real Time Clock Driver v1.10f
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: device-mapper: 4.0.5-ioctl (2003-11-18) initialised: dm@uk.sistina.com
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on ide0(3,3), internal journal
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: XFS mounting filesystem ide0(3,4)
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on ide1(22,65), internal journal
Sep 21 22:25:31 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
i don't even have ext2, FAT or Reiserfs filesystems compiled into the kernel. is that behavior controlled by the /etc/init.d/mountall.sh script? i'm just wondering if whatever that's about is the same thing causing the VMS kernel panic error with 2.6. [/B]
No those are not causing the error it looks like the modules that are built into the initrd that is installed with the default kernel and are the errors when those file systems are not found.
 
Old 09-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #7
synaptical
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4
Posts: 2,020

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally posted by HappyTux
Save yourself the grief and get it going inside first then put it in the garage. Plus you may want to try this guide http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html


No those are not causing the error it looks like the modules that are built into the initrd that is installed with the default kernel and are the errors when those file systems are not found.
yeah, i do have the computer in here while i'm working on it.

i tried the newbiedoc method (very similar to the debian.org method), and things got really bad. it won't even boot past the processor recognition in the very beginning, but gives some weird error about the "timesource" ("using tsc for high-res timesource" (?)) and just hangs there. maybe it can't handle my old hardware (PII 300).

so i took that botched kernel out, and when i ran lilo again, i got some error about /proc and /dev designations for the ide device:

Warning: ' /proc/partitions does not match 'dev' directory structure.
Name change: /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/disc -> /dev/hdd '


hdd is my disc on IDE2 that i mount to /www. not sure what the error message is about, but at least it wrote the working kernel lilo.conf to the MBR.

anyway, the "debian way" isn't making much sense to me. i fail to understand why those initial initrd fs checks are necessary (or why they even happen) when i'm not booting with an initrd, and i don't understand why it is so problematic just to compile a kernel. i have compiled probably hundreds of kernels since using linux (including one on this very same box when it was libranet debian -- a 2.4 kernel, though), and i've never had a problem like this. i must be missing something about 2.6, some kernel option somewhere, or something to do with the startup sequence. maybe i'll try a 2.4 kernel and see if that works.

>EDIT:
i just compiled a 2.4.26 kernel the "slackware" (i.e., normal ) way, and it works fine. no initrd, no kpkg, no fakeroot, no VFS errors, no hassles. no network either, but the module loads so i think i just missed something simple in the network options -- not used to the 2.4.x setup after using 2.6 for so long.

so i guess i will just keep this for now -- maybe it's not even worth going to 2.6 on this hardware for such a low-end webserver that's really just for light personal use anyway. i still would like to know what the deal is with debian and 2.6, though, in case i decide to upgrade in the future and still want to use debian. it just seems kind of weird that it would fail so badly with panics and that tsc/timesource thing when everything is done the "same as it always was." but unless anyone has definite information, i'm going with 2.4, and this case is closed.

Last edited by synaptical; 09-22-2004 at 05:12 PM.
 
Old 10-01-2004, 05:16 PM   #8
comprookie2000
Gentoo Developer
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale FL.
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 3,291
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 56
I finally got it working for anyone that was like me check here ; http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...76#post1209476
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gentoo-Im dumb and deleted /boot/boot Grub Says: Error 26 : Too many symbolic links smehi Linux - Software 5 06-24-2006 07:25 AM
solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld) Johncy_j Solaris / OpenSolaris 5 08-18-2005 02:47 AM
Dual boot SUSE/XP But SUSE wont let me boot or see boot menu Hairulfr SUSE / openSUSE 9 08-17-2005 01:57 PM
failed features: boot.shm boot.loadmodules boot.swap cccc SUSE / openSUSE 1 08-08-2005 08:23 AM
DUAL BOOT - WIN XP cant be seen/boot on boot - pls help Bluiee Linux - Newbie 1 05-25-2004 06:29 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration