LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > DamnSmallLinux
User Name
Password
DamnSmallLinux This forum is for the discussion of DamnSmallLinux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
gychang
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 43

Rep: Reputation: 15
No CD on old thinkpad 560Z, how do I install?


It has Pentium II 233Mhz CPU,with 98MB of RAM, but barely running windows 98. Has no CD but has USB.

Even if I buy an external CD driver, it has no Bios setting for USB boot.

I need to install DSL, but how? Only way I can think is to take the 8G HD out and install on another laptop with CD and switch back but is there any other way??

thanks,

gychang
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
repo
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: May 2001
Location: Belgium
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 8,528

Rep: Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899
Take a look at
http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickr...l#createfloppy
 
Old 01-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
gychang
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 43

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by repo View Post
sorry, I forgot to mention the 560Z has NO floppy drive (originally came with external floppy but since lost).

gychang
 
Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
JohnDA
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 34

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
sorry, I forgot to mention the 560Z has NO floppy drive (originally came with external floppy but since lost).

gychang
May I suggest a good set of matches???

Let me see here.... No CD ROM drive, no floppy drive, bios can't be set to boot to CD ROM if you could add one via a USB port. Sometimes you just have to decide that this sucker is heading into the ground and it's time to punch out!

I picked up a nice Dell Latitude Pentium III with CD ROM drive from EBay for $200. Perhaps you might want to look in that direction.
 
Old 02-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
gychang
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 43

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDA View Post
May I suggest a good set of matches???

Let me see here.... No CD ROM drive, no floppy drive, bios can't be set to boot to CD ROM if you could add one via a USB port. Sometimes you just have to decide that this sucker is heading into the ground and it's time to punch out!

I picked up a nice Dell Latitude Pentium III with CD ROM drive from EBay for $200. Perhaps you might want to look in that direction.
I needed external floppy and now I am all set with DSL linux.

gychang
 
Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
JohnDA
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 34

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
I needed external floppy and now I am all set with DSL linux.

gychang
That's great! I forgot DSL can work from a floppy. It's a nice program and has saved a number of old computers from the trash heap. I've used it on old 486 machines to bring them back to life. I'm glad you worked things out.
 
Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #7
gychang
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Posts: 43

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDA View Post
That's great! I forgot DSL can work from a floppy. It's a nice program and has saved a number of old computers from the trash heap. I've used it on old 486 machines to bring them back to life. I'm glad you worked things out.
thanks indeed DSL is amazing...

gychang
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install Linux on Thinkpad 600E ManiDhillon Linux - Hardware 5 02-19-2008 09:12 PM
Install Solaris 10 on IBM ThinkPad l_leonard Solaris / OpenSolaris 1 09-06-2007 06:15 PM
Help to install on Thinkpad 350 cwwilson721 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 08-07-2005 05:20 PM
ThinkPad 560z and ALSA problems jvarsoke Linux - Laptop and Netbook 0 02-09-2005 09:45 PM
IBM ThinkPad Install Problems Star3132 Linux - Newbie 1 04-02-2003 02:19 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > DamnSmallLinux

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration