LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > DamnSmallLinux
User Name
Password
DamnSmallLinux This forum is for the discussion of DamnSmallLinux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
raid517
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2002
Posts: 393

Rep: Reputation: 30
Calling all DSL/XDSL fans!


Hi I love XDSL - it is just so freaking fast (in fact it launches firefox and several other apps much faster than I can launch them on my 3.4 GHZ machine).

In any case I got into the idea of installing Linux on my Xbox with one specific purpose in mind - and that was to turn the Xbox into a hardware based LastFM radio player either by using LastFM player, or by using a combination of Lastfmproxy and Mplayer - which would be a lot better in my view. I also have quite a decent sound system and am quite keen to find a way to get digital out sound working - but this doesn't appear to be possible on the stock included version of ALSA.

So my objectives are as follows.

a) Install LastFM Player or LastFMproxy

b)Install Mplayer

c) Get digital out sound working - which I assume means also upgrading to a newer recent 2.6.x kernel

The thing is I have ran into some snags. First given that XDSL (and DSL in general) is so small, it is naturally missing several important libraries that are required in order to enable me to run LastFM and to compile software effectively. (In other words currently LastFM doesn't run at all in DSL).

So the question is, what are these libraries and how do I get the most recent compatible versions?

Also I believe LastFMProxy is written in Python - so what libraries do I need to install in order to be able to compile and run this? (There are no binaries available for this unfortunately - so it must be compiled).

Additionally, what must I do to install a recent version of Mplayer? One thing I have noticed is that on DSL (since it appears to be based on 'stable' or possibly 'testing') a lot of the apps appear to be very old. (Synaptic for example looks like it is in an almost pre Alpha state). So I am a little worried that I won't be able to get a recent enough version of Mplayer in order for it to be useful. Also again I would love to know what libraries I need to install to both run and compile it successfully?

Lastly - with regard to enabling digital out sound - compiling/installing a new kernel shouldn't be such a big deal for me - as there are plenty of guides that show you very clearly how to do this on the Xbox - but one thing that does concern me is again getting recent enough tools to successfully compile the newest 2.6.x kernels (with Xbox patches applied) I recently tried this with another Debian distro on the Xbox - but that turned into a real mess - because since that also was based on stable/testing, a lot of the tools required for compiling recent kernels were simply too old to be compatible.

I did try going straight from an initial install of DSL 'testing' to 'unstable' in order that I could obtain most recent tools and libraries by adding my own sources.list containing all the latest unstable repositories - but having tried this I ran into a wall of dependency issues - and have therefore been forced to conclude that running XDSL from unstable is simply not possible. ( I would very much like to be corrected on this however). So again, what tools and libraries do I need to install to ensure that I can cleanly and successfully compile a recent 2.6.x kernel version? (I already have a patched 2.6.16.4 kernel just ready and waiting to go - all I need is to know what the right tools are to successfully compile it - and where to get them?)

BTW - for those who don't know LastFM (along with Pandora radio) look set to become the next big thing in the so called 'social music revolution.' It is based around the idea that music listening by definition should be a collaborative experience and that music listeners should be able to share their tastes, passions and interests with others. More than that LastFM (and again also Pandora) have the unique capacity to 'learn' the kind of music you like and (after some training) to play only the kind of artists back to you that you typically like - so it is very much like having your own personal radio station. As a bonus many of the suggestions it throws up are by bands that you may not entirely be familiar with, but that often have the ability to widen your musical listening preferences considerably. I have found hundreds of truly astonishingly good artists that I never knew existed since I started using LastFM. (Proof if anything that the slump in music sales is down to Music execs not knowing what good music is if it jumped up and slapped them in the face).

In any case ever since first installing LastFM I have wanted my own dedicated last FM hardware based radio player - and it seems to me that XDSL and the Xbox is the almost perfect way to achieve this. Again I do not even particularly want a distro I install to do anything else than to work as a dedicated LastFM radio player. I could always install another Linux version (or perhaps another copy of XDSL) if I ever wanted to do anything else other than this with my Xbox. If anyone has ever used LastFM for any length of time - I'm sure you too would agree that a hardware based LastFM player would be too cool for words.

So if any of you guys can help me achieve any of these goal I really will be eternally grateful.

Best regards,

GJ

Last edited by raid517; 05-07-2006 at 04:29 PM.
 
Old 05-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Debian Testing
Posts: 19,192
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid517
In any case I got into the idea of installing Linux on my Xbox with one specific purpose in mind - and that was to turn the Xbox into a hardware based LastFM radio player

<snip>


The thing is I have ran into some snags. First given that XDSL (and DSL in general) is so small, it is naturally missing several important libraries that missing in order to enable me to run it. (In other words currently it doesn't run at all in DSL).

So the question is, what are these libraries and how do I get the most recent compatible versions?
Your first step whpuld be to run it via the command line (open a console and input the command to start it) and see what errors you get. They will usually tell you what is missing.

Also, check the DSL Wiki as it tells you how to go about changing your apt settings so you can get newer packages.

Quote:
Also I believe LastFMProxy is written in Python - so what libraries do I need to install in order to be able to compile and run this? (There are no binaries available for this unfortunately - so it must be compiled).
Once you have apt updated, I would simply grab the Python packages - you will need at least Python itself.

Quote:
Additionally, what must I do to install a recent version of Mplayer? One thing I have noticed is that on DSL (since it appears to be based on 'stable' or possibly 'testing') a lot of the apps appear to be very old. (Synaptic for example looks like it is in an almost pre Alpha state). So I am a little worried that I won't be able to get a recent enough version of Mplayer in order for it to be useful. Also again I would love to know what libraries I need to install to both run and compile it successfully?
You have 2 choices: now you have updated your packages via apt, grab it from synaptic. Or go to www.mplayerhq.hu and compile it all from source.

Quote:
Lastly - with regard to enabling digital out sound - compiling/installing a new kernel shouldn't be such a big deal for me - as there are plenty of guides that show you very clearly how to do this on the Xbox - but one thing that does concern me is again getting recent enough tools to successfully compile the newest 2.6.x kernels (with Xbox patches applied) I recently tried this with another Debian distro on the Xbox - but that turned into a real mess - because since that also was based on stable/testing, a lot of the tools required for compiling recent kernels were simply too old to be compatible.
The FAQs on the DSL wiki says that they are unlikely to include the 2.6 kernel as most things will have been backported to the 2.4 kernel. It may be as simple as recompiling your existing kernel.

This sounds like a great project, should you get this up and running please post an LQ Tutorial about it as it would be of interest to others.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling all Firefly/Serinity fans! ZephyrXero General 2 02-02-2006 01:41 AM
xDSL configuration Saketh Linux - Wireless Networking 19 09-17-2005 09:47 PM
odd recursion: calling "by hand" vs calling by cronscript... prx Programming 4 02-12-2005 04:59 PM
Calling all bash fans.... jong357 Slackware 2 03-16-2004 07:52 PM
cant get online...xDSL linuxboy_inside Linux - Networking 0 10-27-2003 02:40 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > DamnSmallLinux

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration