LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi
User Name
Password
Bodhi This forum is for the discussion of Bodhi Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2018, 06:12 AM   #1
fuzzyrider
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Volume hotkeys stopped working!!!


My fn + arrow key up and down just all of a sudden stopped working properly...

basically sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, or most of the time it doesnt work at all.

this happened just a day ago, my other fn hotkeys work, such as fn+f6

can someone help? i've tried updating, upgrading, reinstalling pulseaudio, changing hotkey to something different.. im out of options now but a complete reinstallation of bodhilinux

any help?
 
Old 06-11-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 19 MATE
Posts: 6,079
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933
Hi fuzzyrider, and welcome to LQ.

That sounds very much to me like a hardware problem. Have you tried a different keyboard?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
Charles4809
Bodhi Developer
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Zeist, The Netherlands
Distribution: Bodhi Linux, Win 10
Posts: 38

Rep: Reputation: 7
Hi, did you update your system recently and if so, what commands did you use?

The moksha package got upgraded and that includes an integrated pulse-mixer. If the old pulse-mixer was not properly removed there might be a conflict in using these hotkeys.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
rbtylee
Bodhi Developer
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Location: Ladson, SC US
Distribution: Bodhi
Posts: 17

Rep: Reputation: 12
I agree with hydrurga. First I would rule out hardware errors. If you don't have another keyboard try to boot an ISO and see if it also has the same issue.

OK if it is not an hardware error, try to delete your .e folder and restart moksha (or reboot). Your .e folder is a hidden folder in your home directory. If that fails then I really don't know. But for reference what version of Bodhi are you using?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 19 MATE
Posts: 6,079
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4809 View Post
Hi, did you update your system recently and if so, what commands did you use?

The moksha package got upgraded and that includes an integrated pulse-mixer. If the old pulse-mixer was not properly removed there might be a conflict in using these hotkeys.
Ah, I didn't consider that something else could be grabbing those keys, Charles. Definitely more plausible than my hardware fault theory!
 
Old 06-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
fuzzyrider
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtylee View Post
I agree with hydrurga. First I would rule out hardware errors. If you don't have another keyboard try to boot an ISO and see if it also has the same issue.

OK if it is not an hardware error, try to delete your .e folder and restart moksha (or reboot). Your .e folder is a hidden folder in your home directory. If that fails then I really don't know. But for reference what version of Bodhi are you using?
thanks everyone for your replies, so since I started this thread I attempted to use my fn keys from a LiveUSB and it worked, so I confirmed that it was not a hardware issue, then I moved on to your reply and deleted the .e folder and I have no idea why but this worked, even though my desktop looked drastically different ( i dont mind really )!!

thanks a lot!
 
Old 06-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #7
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 19 MATE
Posts: 6,079
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933Reputation: 1933
Great to hear!

If you want, you can mark this thread as "Solved" (see "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread).
 
Old 06-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
rbtylee
Bodhi Developer
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Location: Ladson, SC US
Distribution: Bodhi
Posts: 17

Rep: Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyrider View Post
thanks everyone for your replies, so since I started this thread I attempted to use my fn keys from a LiveUSB and it worked, so I confirmed that it was not a hardware issue, then I moved on to your reply and deleted the .e folder and I have no idea why but this worked, even though my desktop looked drastically different ( i dont mind really )!!

thanks a lot!
Glad to have helped. You can fix your desktop if you remembered how you customized it.

As to why this happened, it is unlikely Charles suggestion that an update caused it. If you are using Bodhi 4.x then yes there is a new version of moksha in the repos but it is in the testing repo. If you are using the testing repo then yes conceivably that could have caused it. Since our old forums are gone I can't link to my post on testing this version of moksha but surely I suggested to remove the .e folder after upgrading to Moksha 3.0rc.

But anyway not many use this testing repo so I feel it unlikely that caused your issue. But if the the files in the .e folder get corrupted enlightenment or moksha can act "funny." The most likely cause of this is an improper shutdown like losing power while the system is updating the files. It has been an issue as long as I have been using e or Moksha and I suppose since I have taken a major role in Moksha development, maybe I should investigate possible fixes for this in the code. Perhaps some verification of the critical files. But honestly that would be low priority for me as under normal usage this seldom happens anymore, it used to happen alot in the early days of enlightenment (and Bodhi). Not as often now, it has been years since I have had to delete this folder to fix an issue on any of my systems.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #9
Charles4809
Bodhi Developer
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Zeist, The Netherlands
Distribution: Bodhi Linux, Win 10
Posts: 38

Rep: Reputation: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtylee View Post
//If you are using Bodhi 4.x then yes there is a new version of moksha in the repos but it is in the testing repo. //
Did not realize testing was still enabled on this old rig.

Quote:
// Not as often now, it has been years since I have had to delete this folder to fix an issue on any of my systems.
I agree, can hardly remember when was the last time I deleted the .e folder
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LVM Mount Physical Volume/Logical Volume without a working Volume Group mpivintis Linux - Newbie 10 01-11-2014 07:02 AM
Volume, Hotkeys, and Kubuntu 8.04 Toonses82 Ubuntu 6 08-04-2008 09:01 PM
Gnome: make volume hotkeys alter PCM chanel instead of MASTER (ALSA) qwijibow Linux - General 1 11-13-2005 09:42 PM
fluxbox hotkeys not working fatblueduck Linux - Software 4 02-27-2005 04:23 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration