LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Bodhi (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/bodhi-92/)
-   -   Translation updates at GitHub: how quickly are they applied? (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/bodhi-92/translation-updates-at-github-how-quickly-are-they-applied-4175667426/)

Kiezel 01-10-2020 04:17 AM

Translation updates at GitHub: how quickly are they applied?
 
I'm a Dutch translator for various other projects, and I'm currently well under way with a complete revision of the Dutch translation for Moksha. Because the current Dutch translation is in bad shape.

I expect to be able to submit my new Dutch translation at GitHub in the next few days. How long will it approximately take before it'll be rolled out by means of the updates?

P.S.: I always like to do a live test of my translations, so from time to time I pump the relevant .mo file in my system for testing. It took me a while to find out that there was no moksha.mo, but that I had to replace the existing enlightenment.mo.... :)

the_waiter 01-10-2020 06:32 AM

It would be fantastic in case you can contribute to translating job.

I can offer all info related to this work as I did this for slovak locales. Give me some time for preparing because I have some family plans during the weekend. I will you know

Stefan

rbtylee 01-10-2020 06:43 AM

That is excellent news on Dutch translation :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiezel (Post 6076611)
...
I expect to be able to submit my new Dutch translation at GitHub in the next few days. How long will it approximately take before it'll be rolled out by means of the updates?
...

Considering I am the one that usually packages moksha and adds the updated version to the repos, I can probably make it happen within a day or so of the change being added to Moksha's github page. Depends upon my work schedule more than anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiezel (Post 6076611)
...
It took me a while to find out that there was no moksha.mo, but that I had to replace the existing enlightenment.mo.... :)

Ah yes, Moksha as an e17 fork still thinks it is e17. Perhaps in time I will deal with that and make everything from localization stuff to folder and bin names free of the enlightenment references. But for now we live with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_waiter (Post 6076647)
...

I can offer all info related to this work as I did this for slovak locales. Give me some time for preparing because I have some family plans during the weekend. I will you know

Stefan

Unsure if you need Štefan's help. Either way, you or Štefan let me know when to redo the deb files and I will add it to the repos as promptly as I can.

Kiezel 01-10-2020 11:08 AM

Good to hear! I need no help, because I've contributed Dutch translations at GitHub for other projects as well.

I'll let you know in this thread, when my pull request has been done. :)

Kiezel 01-10-2020 03:31 PM

Translation job done, and pull request submitted:
https://github.com/JeffHoogland/moksha/pull/106

The Dutch translation in the pull request is fully revised and very nearly complete. Not entirely complete, but that concerns only a couple of strings of minor importance, which I'll tackle once I find the time for it.

Hope this helps! :)

the_waiter 01-10-2020 03:34 PM

Translation updates at GitHub: how quickly are they applied?
 
What? I spent 2 weeks with translation to slovak. You are ready within one day?

Kiezel 01-10-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_waiter (Post 6076854)
What? I spent 2 weeks with translation to slovak. You are ready within one day?

Two days. :cool:

I work fast when I have the time, and I had the time. Plus I've been translating for several projects since 2011 (Xfce, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, LXDE, and several more). So I've seen almost all strings before: no need to rack my brain for the right translation.

rbtylee 01-10-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiezel (Post 6076853)
Translation job done, and pull request submitted:
https://github.com/JeffHoogland/moksha/pull/106

The Dutch translation in the pull request is fully revised and very nearly complete. Not entirely complete, but that concerns only a couple of strings of minor importance, which I'll tackle once I find the time for it.

Hope this helps! :)

OK I will see what i can get done this weekend on rebuilding the deb files to incorporate your changes. Much thanks.

the_waiter 01-10-2020 04:27 PM

Translation updates at GitHub: how quickly are they applied?
 
Cool. Nice to hear although as I am not dutch there is no chance to check the translation quality ;)

Kiezel 01-10-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_waiter (Post 6076869)
as I am not dutch there is no chance to check the translation quality ;)

Correct. I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it.

Perhaps you can be reassured a bit by my previous translation activities:

I'm an administrator for the Linux Mint Dutch translation team (Pjotr12345):
https://launchpad.net/~linuxmint-tra...members#active

Member of the Dutch Ubuntu translators team (Pjotr12345):
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-nl/+members#active

Administrator for the Dutch MATE translation team and for the Dutch Xfce translation team (Pjotr123):
https://www.transifex.com/user/profile/Pjotr123/

And for some smaller projects, like the Whisker menu and so forth.

rbtylee 01-10-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiezel (Post 6076881)
Correct. I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it.

Perhaps you can be reassured a bit by my previous translation activities: ...

Google translate and other such tools are good enough to check but I feel there is no need. Thanks again.

the_waiter 01-11-2020 12:42 AM

Translation updates at GitHub: how quickly are they applied?
 
OK, now I believe :) Big thanx

rbtylee 01-11-2020 08:55 AM

Moksha has been updated. Perhaps I should have did more testing of some of the recent changes but hopefully there will be no problems.

Kiezel 01-11-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbtylee (Post 6077089)
Moksha has been updated. Perhaps I should have did more testing of some of the recent changes but hopefully there will be no problems.

There are no problems in a Dutch localized Bodhi because of my new translations. Even if I say so myself, it's a huge improvement compared with the old translations. Thanks for the Moksha update!

In the coming week, I intend to create a new pull request for the Dutch translations with some minor improvements and additions. After that, I'll consider the Dutch translating job as done for now.

My next target will be to replace Lubuntu in my online documentation at https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com (English) and https://makkelijkelinuxtips.blogspot.com (Dutch) by Bodhi Linux, as the distro I recommend for people who need an OS that's even lighter than Linux Mint Xfce and Xubuntu.

I already like Bodhi a lot. Good job! :)

Maybe one question: could Midori perhaps be uncoupled as "hard" dependency for the Bodhi app store? First thing I do is to install Firefox and Chromium, so I've no need for a poorly maintained and therefore probably insecure Midori.... I'd like to be able to uninstall Midori without losing the Bodhi app store as well.

rbtylee 01-12-2020 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiezel (Post 6077293)
There are no problems in a Dutch localized Bodhi because of my new translations. Even if I say so myself, it's a huge improvement compared with the old translations. Thanks for the Moksha update!...

Whatever problems arise wouldn't be from your translations it would be from some recent commits to Moksha. Should be no problems tho, at least no new problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiezel (Post 6077293)
... Maybe one question: could Midori perhaps be uncoupled as "hard" dependency for the Bodhi app store? First thing I do is to install Firefox and Chromium, so I've no need for a poorly maintained and therefore probably insecure Midori.... I'd like to be able to uninstall Midori without losing the Bodhi app store as well.

Yep, all that package does is install a menu item, but I agree there should be no hard dependency on Midori or any other web browser. That package has been around a long time and the deb file appears to have been created by an old no long active team member, Deepspeed. I went ahead and changed the menu item to launch x-www-browser and changed the Depends to a recommend field, recommending midori or firefox or chromium-browser. That should satisfy most people. Note x-www-browser has to properly set, but it appears to be set in a default install of BL 5.0, at least the 64 bit version ... I looked in a VM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiezel (Post 6077293)
...My next target will be to replace Lubuntu in my online documentation at https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com (English) and https://makkelijkelinuxtips.blogspot.com (Dutch) by Bodhi Linux, as the distro I recommend for people who need an OS that's even lighter than Linux Mint Xfce and Xubuntu.

I already like Bodhi a lot. Good job! :)

Thank you :D All blogs reviews recommendations for Bodhi online helps us alot.

Looking forward to your future Dutch language localization commits and great Job with this.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.