LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Bodhi (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/bodhi-92/)
-   -   Moksha desktop (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/bodhi-92/moksha-desktop-4175642098/)

francoisphil 11-10-2018 07:26 AM

Moksha desktop
 
Suddenly , my desptop became very long to load.From the Moksha picture to the desktop loaded , more than 2 minutes...Any idea?
Thank you

BW-userx 11-10-2018 08:00 AM

did it happen again. I mean can you reproduce the incident?

enigma9o7 11-10-2018 12:58 PM

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but what have you installed since last reboot? Try removing those one at a time to help find what's cuasing the problem.

francoisphil 11-10-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BW-userx (Post 5924775)
did it happen again. I mean can you reproduce the incident?

every time i boot...
i have an image of the system before this happen , i will try restoring it...

BW-userx 11-10-2018 06:15 PM

how does yours log in using the same tty, as in login screen add passwd, goes into login mode, if you switch around the ttys, some jump to a different tty so you can see what is going on in the back ground (sometimes). (slackware for example)

francoisphil 11-11-2018 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigma9o7 (Post 5924843)
Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but what have you installed since last reboot? Try removing those one at a time to help find what's cuasing the problem.

yep . you are right , the problem is i do not remember , i have to compare with an image clonezilla that was working fine...i think i have been playing with ARandR , and also with updates.

BW-userx 11-11-2018 09:00 AM

Yep, that’ll do it , arandr

cordx 11-11-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francoisphil (Post 5924954)
i think i have been playing with ARandR , and also with updates.

using timeshift has helped me a great deal in situations like this. i try to make sure i take a quick system snapshot (i also use clonezilla about once a month just in case) before playing with any kind of system setting or update. because i have it set to take a snapshot daily, any one i do on demand before making a change rarely takes much more than a couple minutes. time well spent if it saves me from a system meltdown. the rollback process was surprisingly easy the first time i tried it. of course, clonezilla isn't terribly complicated either. i just like that with timeshift, if i find a problem with the change right away i can roll back through the gui without having reboot and fire up clonezilla.

BW-userx 11-11-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cordx (Post 5925046)
using timeshift has helped me a great deal in situations like this. i try to make sure i take a quick system snapshot (i also use clonezilla about once a month just in case) before playing with any kind of system setting or update. because i have it set to take a snapshot daily, any one i do on demand before making a change rarely takes much more than a couple minutes. time well spent if it saves me from a system meltdown. the rollback process was surprisingly easy the first time i tried it. of course, clonezilla isn't terribly complicated either. i just like that with timeshift, if i find a problem with the change right away i can roll back through the gui without having reboot and fire up clonezilla.

how much storage space does that take up?

cordx 11-11-2018 10:17 PM

i thought this question would be easier to answer, but of course as with most things os there is some nuance involved. the raw numbers are fairly straightforward. gparted says i have 44.45 gb worth of info total for my three partitions. the clonezilla whole disk image from just a few days ago (minus maybe 1.6 gb or so of files added since) is 16.2 gb which is decent ~2.6 to 1 compression.

timeshift is a bit harder to quantify. at least for me. the raw number is that gparted says i have used 36.4 gb on my external drive after having set everything up ~50 days ago after a fresh install. that is with stock settings of timeshift as far as what it backs up. by default /root and /home/user are excluded along with a couple dozen other directories. obviously if someone wanted to add user files or anything else personal, the numbers would change accordingly.

the reason i added the part about raw numbers is that originally i went into my timeshift folder and just looked at the file manager properties. as it counted to well above the 125 gb that i actually have allotted to that particular partition, it occurred to me that i would have to check a different method. thus the gparted listing of 36+ gb. the file manager says the first snapshot is just over 5 gb and the last just under 8 gb. since that would be closer to 300 gb for all of the snapshots, i am assuming (i am no backup expert, just theorizing on this part) that has to do with links to previous snapshots for files that were unchanged.

that last part may be way more than you were looking for. i just found it interesting when i started looking into it.

francoisphil 11-12-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cordx (Post 5925046)
using timeshift has helped me a great deal in situations like this. i try to make sure i take a quick system snapshot (i also use clonezilla about once a month just in case) before playing with any kind of system setting or update. because i have it set to take a snapshot daily, any one i do on demand before making a change rarely takes much more than a couple minutes. time well spent if it saves me from a system meltdown. the rollback process was surprisingly easy the first time i tried it. of course, clonezilla isn't terribly complicated either. i just like that with timeshift, if i find a problem with the change right away i can roll back through the gui without having reboot and fire up clonezilla.

Thanks for the tip cordx , i will try it, i like particularly this option: "without having reboot and fire up clonezilla"

cordx 11-12-2018 02:43 PM

to clarify, initiating a restore in timeshift will drop it into what looks like terminal mode from which it does have to eventually reboot in order for the changes to be made. the process can be launched from within the present gui session is what i was trying to emphasize. so there what for me was a normal system reboot (as far as elapsed time went) after what also seemed like a fairly quick restore process. just not all of the extra steps of booting into clonezilla and waiting for a full disk restore :)

francoisphil 11-13-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cordx (Post 5925428)
to clarify, initiating a restore in timeshift will drop it into what looks like terminal mode from which it does have to eventually reboot in order for the changes to be made. the process can be launched from within the present gui session is what i was trying to emphasize. so there what for me was a normal system reboot (as far as elapsed time went) after what also seemed like a fairly quick restore process. just not all of the extra steps of booting into clonezilla and waiting for a full disk restore :)

i am using a program called "cadence" for audio purpose , and there is an option "force restart"witch the system apparently does not like!it just freezes , and after a reboot , that's it , 2mn30sec instead of 1mn.i tried timeshift , it does not do anything good in this case , so , go back to clonezilla and restore the partition.;)

cordx 11-13-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francoisphil (Post 5925773)
so , go back to clonezilla and restore the partition.;)

sometimes it is just best to let the ones that work do their job :) good luck


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.