LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi
User Name
Password
Bodhi This forum is for the discussion of Bodhi Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
madmax25
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2018
Posts: 174

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
BL4.5.0-32bit - How to start Billard-GL in fullscreen mode, please?


After installing Billard-GL I didn't find 1024x600, which is the screen resolution on my netbook, so I decided to start it in fullscreen mode at 800x600 (I have two black bars on each side, now, but that's ok for me, as long as I have a proper aspect ratio).
I also tried to start it in terminology with
Code:
billard-gl -f
which did work fine.

But then I wanted to edit the desktop file of that game.
I found it here:
Code:
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/billard-gl:billard-gl.desktop
Hoping this would affect the game's entry within the main menu, I added a -f at the end of the "EXEC="-line of that desktop file (as sudo, of course), but the game didn't start in fullscreen mode.

How can I make the game start in the way I want it to, please?

Last edited by madmax25; 03-20-2019 at 08:38 AM.
 
Old 03-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
enigma9o7
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Distribution: Bodhi 5 (Ubuntu 18.04)
Posts: 225

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Maybe you edited the wrong desktop file?

Just open the billiard program normally (from menu) then click on the 'edit icon' from the menu that comes when you click the tiny icon in the top left of your window. The command line comes up; add your -f there.
 
Old 03-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
madmax25
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2018
Posts: 174

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yes, I think so, too. Must be the wrong file, but there doesn't seem to be another one.

I don't have an option to edit an icon there, maybe because I'm still running BL4.5.0?

Last edited by madmax25; 03-20-2019 at 03:05 PM.
 
Old 03-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
enigma9o7
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Distribution: Bodhi 5 (Ubuntu 18.04)
Posts: 225

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I just installed that game and you're right, the edit icon option isn't there. It's something about this app itself. It doesn't show it's icon in the corner or on taskbar either, is a white box with a question mark.

Anyway the right desktop file is in /usr/share/applications/billard-gl.desktop, and adding -f to the exec line does work.

And I learned a new german word. Sprog. (The game defaulted to german for me, I had to navigate german menu's to set it to english).
 
Old 03-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
madmax25
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2018
Posts: 174

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Ok, so...
Code:
/usr/share/applications/billard-gl.desktop
...is the path to the wanted desktop file.
Strange, the locate command didn't give me that path, neither did the whereis command.

Are you sure, you found the word Sprog in the game?
Actually, it should be Sprache (that's german for language)
You can find the pronunciation at Google, in case, you'd like to know.

Last edited by madmax25; 03-21-2019 at 11:28 AM.
 
Old 03-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
enigma9o7
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Distribution: Bodhi 5 (Ubuntu 18.04)
Posts: 225

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Not in the game itself, in the setup menus, sprog is the option that sets the language. I didn't pay that much attention, just assumed it was german cuz I think I saw a .de link or something, but I went back and checked, looks like it was default in Danish. First time something didn't come up default in english or my system language tho.

Last edited by enigma9o7; 03-21-2019 at 12:36 PM.
 
Old 03-22-2019, 05:25 AM   #7
rbtylee
Bodhi Developer
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Location: Ladson, SC US
Distribution: Bodhi
Posts: 138

Rep: Reputation: 161Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post
I just installed that game and you're right, the edit icon option isn't there. It's something about this app itself. It doesn't show it's icon in the corner or on taskbar either, is a white box with a question mark.

Anyway the right desktop file is in /usr/share/applications/billard-gl.desktop, and adding -f to the exec line does work.

And I learned a new german word. Sprog. (The game defaulted to german for me, I had to navigate german menu's to set it to english).
OK briefly looked at this issue this morning. This application doesn't install a typical icons, it installs 2 X11 Pixel Map files and it installs them at /usr/share/pixmaps instead of /usr/share/icons. Looking at this it seems neither Moksha nor e22 support icons of this type. Sorta weird for e22 as e22 has support for this, seemingly in /src/bin/e_pixmap.c. Moksha lacks this file.

Unsure how many apps do something similar or whether it is worth investigating further and trying to fix the no icon issue. For the record LXDE also displays a 'generic' icon for it also instead of the x11 pixel map 'icon'.

As to -f option on the command line i haven't had time to look at it.

Last edited by rbtylee; 03-22-2019 at 01:23 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:14 AM   #8
enigma9o7
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Distribution: Bodhi 5 (Ubuntu 18.04)
Posts: 225

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax25 View Post
Strange, the locate command didn't give me that path, neither did the whereis command.
Yeah, that's not that strange. I've tried locate and whereis, and sometimes one might find what I'm looking for, sometimes neither does. I don't think either one is an exhaustive search. I'm sure there is some unix command that actually searches everything (similar to dos dir \filename.ext /s) but I dunno what it is. There is tools/find in pcmanfm too...

Last edited by enigma9o7; 03-23-2019 at 12:28 AM.
 
Old 03-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #9
enigma9o7
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Distribution: Bodhi 5 (Ubuntu 18.04)
Posts: 225

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtylee View Post
Unsure how many apps do something similar or whether it is worth investigating further and trying to fix the no icon issue.
There are lots and lots of people who've been using bodhi far longer than me, but this is the first app I'd ever noticed that behaved that way, so I don't think it's a major issue or you would have experienced it yourself or at least heard about it. When he said that he couldn't get the edit icon menu I was curious enough to install it, and sure enough, he's right as you've already confirmed. (That being said, the bigger issue to me is not the 'generic icon' in corner/taskman, it's the not allowing the normal moksha gui ways of editing the desktop file from that menu to work.)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
rbtylee
Bodhi Developer
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Location: Ladson, SC US
Distribution: Bodhi
Posts: 138

Rep: Reputation: 161Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post
Yeah, that's not that strange. I've tried locate and whereis, and sometimes one might find what I'm looking for, sometimes neither does. I don't think either one is an exhaustive search.
if locate can't find something that you know exist it means its database needs update:

Code:
sudo updatedb


Quote:
I'm sure there is some unix command that actually searches everything (similar to dos dir \filename.ext /s) but I dunno what it is.
Ah perhaps the find command ...
 
Old 03-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
rbtylee
Bodhi Developer
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Location: Ladson, SC US
Distribution: Bodhi
Posts: 138

Rep: Reputation: 161Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax25 View Post
After installing Billard-GL I didn't find 1024x600, which is the screen resolution on my netbook, so I decided to start it in fullscreen mode at 800x600 (I have two black bars on each side, now, but that's ok for me, as long as I have a proper aspect ratio).
I also tried to start it in terminology with
Code:
billard-gl -f
which did work fine.

But then I wanted to edit the desktop file of that game.
I found it here:
Code:
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/billard-gl:billard-gl.desktop
Hoping this would affect the game's entry within the main menu, I added a -f at the end of the "EXEC="-line of that desktop file (as sudo, of course), but the game didn't start in fullscreen mode.

How can I make the game start in the way I want it to, please?
OK this is a little weird, adding -f to the desktop file works for me. At first I thought maybe it was because I am using Moksha 3.1 .. that is unreleased as yet and is moksha in git in my ylee branch. But I reverted back to Moksha 3.0 and it still works.

Unsure why it is not working for you. Can someone else confirm this?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
rbtylee
Bodhi Developer
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Location: Ladson, SC US
Distribution: Bodhi
Posts: 138

Rep: Reputation: 161Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtylee View Post
OK briefly looked at this issue this morning. This application doesn't install a typical icons, it installs 2 X11 Pixel Map files and it installs them at /usr/share/pixmaps instead of /usr/share/icons...
OK further examination reveals a few things of interest here:
  1. First of all the source code to this program is in german or something. I can't easily read it well enough to see what it is doing and how it is doing it. Perhaps I could just open all the files and struggle thru it. Seems like too much work ...
  2. Two, weirdly enough Moksha and e22 both display the icon fine in the menu and Ibar and so on. Just not in the window border.
  3. Three the program is not following ICCCM standards as it should. In particular WM_CLASS Property and WM_NAME Property are not set altho THe Title is set properly. I would like to know what GUI toolkit this program is using as all the common ones would properly set all this ICCCM stuff. Perhap the developer(s) is winging it and doing it all old school using rare x11 code. Regardless, it is done wrong and this leads to Moksha, e22 and lxde and perhaps other WM not displaying the icon in the window border. And in Mokshas or e22s case, the Border menu is borked when it comes to editing the icon.
  4. The application doesn't seem to know what display to open in. It opens in DISPLAY:0 even if opened in DISPLAY:1. First time i have ever saw an app do that.

OK now issue two, i consider a bug. Moksha and e22 both can display the icon despite the weird icon format( X11 Pixel Map) as demonstrated by the icon being displayed in the menu, but the icon is not displayed in the window border. So it is going on my list of bugs that need fixed. But as this is not a common occurance and an obscure app at that this issue is low priority to me.

Last edited by rbtylee; 03-23-2019 at 11:23 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #13
enigma9o7
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: Silicon Valley
Distribution: Bodhi 5 (Ubuntu 18.04)
Posts: 225

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
This kinda stuff always happens. Y'know how I mentioned I'd never seen another app that did the white-box-? icon in taskman/corner until this one?

well I found another. Tuxboot. Not in repos, had to add ppa.

It's an app for creating clonezilla live usb. However it's not exactly the same as that billiards game, as it does allow me to 'create icon' whereas iirc billards didn't even have that. But yet again, can't edit desktop file thru GUI.

Last edited by enigma9o7; 03-23-2019 at 09:07 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BL4.5.0-32bit - How to resize tray icon of TV-Browser, please? madmax25 Bodhi 4 03-09-2019 11:51 AM
BL4.5.0 32bit - Is there any recommendable network monitor? madmax25 Bodhi 2 03-04-2019 04:12 AM
BL4.5.0 32bit - How to use only 5GHz for WiFi? madmax25 Bodhi 3 02-18-2019 10:50 AM
BL4.5.0-32bit - How to remove unused packages without damaging system? madmax25 Bodhi 13 02-07-2019 10:49 AM
No Sound In Billard-GL Mark7 Linux - Software 0 01-19-2008 04:44 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration