Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back > Blogs > Musings on technology, philosophy, and life in the corporate world
User Name


Hi. I'm a Unix Administrator, mathematics enthusiast, and amateur philosopher. This is where I rant about that which upsets me, laugh about that which amuses me, and jabber about that which holds my interest most: Unix.
Rate this Entry

[ $RANDOM -gt 16383 ] && move_up || move_across

Posted 12-22-2012 at 12:15 AM by rocket357
Updated 12-22-2012 at 12:21 AM by rocket357

My boss has mentioned a big opportunity coming up. He's mentioned it on more than one ocassion, and he has dropped "subtle" hints ("Jon, <VP of my dept> mentioned that he needed a name for an internal candidate to put in charge of a new team, and you were the first one that came to mind") to clue me in that I should be preparing for a new role. The promotion would require travel, involve a very serious increase in responsibility and stress, and a just-as-serious pay increase. The light of the career gods has shined down on me.

At least, that's what I thought. Yesterday a job was posted internally at my company for a research position. I couldn't believe my, right as I hit my stride and I'm open and available for a promotion/transfer/lateral move, my dream job is posted at the company I'm happily employed with. This is big...the one-in-a-million chance that could make me re-think the promotion...has happened. Worse yet, employees are encouraged to move laterally as they want (as long as they have the required time in position and performance marks, which I do).


The promotion will be a tremendous pay increase. The research position? I have no clue. To complicate the matter more, my wife has been increasingly excited over the promotion and I'm sure it scared her to hear me suddenly jabbering about a *different* position in the company. The promotion will require travel, which my wife isn't looking forward to (though I think the pay increase outweighs the travel aspect in her mind). Not so with the research position. The hair couldn't be split any more evenly, I think.

I went to two very close friends of mine and asked their advice. One said apply for the research position and use that for leverage when negotiating the promotion. The other? Stick to your guns and go for the promotion...if you don't like it, switch to research in a year. Ugh. Still split.

Truth is, my family is pretty comfortable living on my current pay. The promotion would be exceptionally nice, though incredibly more stressful. The research position would put me back in that state of awe I found so many years ago when I first started coding...research is unhindered by customer expectations, industry standards, or politics. Well, it is *less* hindered by politics than the promotion would be =)

Therein lies the rub. I have an opportunity to take better care of my family, though I'd be gone more often, with the promotion. With the research position, I'd be chasing my own personal dreams at the expense of my family's financial security (I can't imagine that this research position pays as much as the promotion would, though I could be wrong).

I've applied for the research position (I may not be picked, afterall), and I'm still working towards the promotion. Neither is guaranteed, though the promotion seems more likely. I've decided to hang back and play both sides to see what comes of each.

It still doesn't answer the question of picking family or my own personal goals, though. If you were in my shoes, which path would you choose, and why?
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2171 Comments 8
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8


  1. Old Comment

    Reason? Money is not everything - in my opinion leaving for work in the morning with a smile on my face far outweighs the alternative.
    And research wouldn't worsen your current economical status, right?

    So, your wife gets a happier husband - and perhaps even a little more funds. She even gets to see that happy man on a daily basis...
    Posted 03-01-2013 at 06:23 AM by mafiltenborg mafiltenborg is offline
  2. Old Comment
    What's happened in the few months since you posted this? Inquiring (nosy) minds want to know.
    Posted 03-01-2013 at 09:44 AM by vmccord vmccord is offline
  3. Old Comment
    mafiltenborg, I applied to both, actually. I didn't get a response on the research spot =\

    So to answer you both, mafiltenborg and vmccord, it looks *real* good that the promotion is the route I'll end up going...I had interviews for the promotion a week ago (today), so I should hear something soon, hopefully =)

    I have had the opportunity since I posted this blog entry to go on some of the customer visits and such (that the promotion would require), and it's not nearly as stressful as I had anticipated. It'll be more travel, for sure, but my wife and I are both ok with that.
    Posted 03-01-2013 at 06:18 PM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  4. Old Comment
    That's totally awesome.
    Posted 03-04-2013 at 09:07 AM by vmccord vmccord is offline
  5. Old Comment
    Yup. Looks **REAL** good like the promotion is going to, 100% sure, as long as negotiations go well =)
    Posted 03-07-2013 at 05:32 PM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  6. Old Comment
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaand the promotion is a go. Yay.
    Posted 03-18-2013 at 11:53 PM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  7. Old Comment
    Posted 03-19-2013 at 08:51 AM by vmccord vmccord is offline
  8. Old Comment
    Ty ty ty!
    Posted 03-19-2013 at 06:22 PM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Main Menu
Write for LQ is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration