LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Arch
User Name
Password
Arch This Forum is for the discussion of Arch Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
pcninja
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 93

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Trying to take ownership of my 1TB hard drive on Arch


No matter what I do I can't take ownership of my 1TB hard drive. I suspect it is because of it being NTFS. I am using it store my collection of "stuff" and I want full permissions to the drive under linux. Thing is though that full permissions is granted to "root" and not my user account and I can't change the permissions.

Here's my fstab: https://pastebin.com/V7CKn2tp

I thought changing the "user_id" and "group_id" options from 0 to 1000 would help but root is still owner
 
Old 07-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
teckk
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Distribution: FreeBSD Arch
Posts: 3,359

Rep: Reputation: 1017Reputation: 1017Reputation: 1017Reputation: 1017Reputation: 1017Reputation: 1017Reputation: 1017Reputation: 1017
Who mounted it? Root or user?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab
 
Old 07-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
dc.901
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2018
Location: Atlanta, GA - USA
Distribution: CentOS/RHEL, openSuSE/SLES, Ubuntu
Posts: 852

Rep: Reputation: 258Reputation: 258Reputation: 258
Did you try solution stated here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-non-root-user
 
Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware (current), FreeBSD, Win10, It varies
Posts: 9,952

Rep: Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148
NTFS has no permissions per se` in Linux. if mounting in fstab, mount it in /media/someDir.
it would help to have it labeled, so when it shows up in the file manager you will better see it.
if plugging it in well then more info needed for investigation.

if it is not labeled then you get this really long line of letters and numbers.
Code:
$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sdb5        /                ext4        defaults         1   1
/dev/sdb6        /home            ext4        defaults         1   2
/dev/sda1        /media/data1     ext4        defaults         1   2
#/dev/sda2        /media/ntfs1     ntfs-3g     fmask=111,dmask=000 1   0
UUID's can be used in lue of old school drive/partition

Last edited by BW-userx; 07-17-2019 at 09:33 AM.
 
Old 07-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
pcninja
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 93

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckk View Post
Who mounted it? Root or user?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab
I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Also, nothing in the fstab page helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc.901
I took a look at the page and I don't really understand what each option shown there does and it looks very different than what was generated by genfstab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx
NTFS has no permissions per se` in Linux. if mounting in fstab, mount it in /media/someDir.
would that give me full control under my user account? I suspected there was a permissions issue before because I tried to add a torrent for a file I already downloaded and rather seed the file, it started over the download and overwritten the originally completed file.
 
Old 07-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware (current), FreeBSD, Win10, It varies
Posts: 9,952

Rep: Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcninja View Post
would that give me full control under my user account? I suspected there was a permissions issue before because I tried to add a torrent for a file I already downloaded and rather seed the file, it started over the download and overwritten the originally completed file.
I don't fully understand the situation here with a torrent client thing you got going on, and using a partition that you would have permissions on. ie, ext2 ext3, btrfs,

You'd have to look into how to create a torrent, etc.. I do not think it falls under permissions, per se`.
 
Old 07-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
pcninja
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 93

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
I don't fully understand the situation here with a torrent client thing you got going on, and using a partition that you would have permissions on. ie, ext2 ext3, btrfs,
I have files on my 1TB I want accessible between both Windows and Linux that I want to seed 24/7 but when trying too add the same torrents I already downloaded on Windows to my torrent client on Linux, for some odd reason the downloads started over when they should've been seeding.
 
Old 07-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware (current), FreeBSD, Win10, It varies
Posts: 9,952

Rep: Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcninja View Post
I have files on my 1TB I want accessible between both Windows and Linux that I want to seed 24/7 but when trying too add the same torrents I already downloaded on Windows to my torrent client on Linux, for some odd reason the downloads started over when they should've been seeding.
I do not know about between windows and Linux compatibiltiy between the two,but that has to do with the config files that torrent client is using to keep track of what it is downloading and has downloaded and is now seeding.

say if you use qbittorrent and two linux distros, you can copy from one to the other

Code:
cp -r /home/bob/.config/qbittorrent /home/jane/.config
then they will more or less be in sync with each other.

using the same torrent client should need to be used is this situation as well. Due to compliance between the two would be better had.

if you are using the same client and adding the same torrents to both, then do a check on the one. that might work too.

Last edited by BW-userx; 07-17-2019 at 10:20 AM.
 
Old 07-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
pcninja
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 93

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
if you are using the same client and adding the same torrents to both, then do a check on the one. that might work too.
okay so I started slowly adding torrents back on the linux side and most of them did fine but a couple started to download again but thankfully but oddly nothing was overwritten and I checked because I am now on the Windows side again and everything is seeding.

Now my only major barrier to using the linux side more would be keeping my firefox profiles in sync. Could I use symlinks for that, or because I'm relying on NTFS it would break my profile?
 
Old 07-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
ehartman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Delft, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,674

Rep: Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885Reputation: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcninja View Post
okay so I started slowly adding torrents back on the linux side and most of them did fine but a couple started to download again but thankfully but oddly nothing was overwritten and I checked because I am now on the Windows side again and everything is seeding.

Now my only major barrier to using the linux side more would be keeping my firefox profiles in sync.
No, you will need two different profiles as both versions OF firefox have differing options (and of course, pathnames). The easy solution is to keep the Windows profile on the Windows C: disk and the Linux one in your Linux home directory (on a Linux file system, FireFox uses symlinks i.e. for the lock, which ntfs doesn't support).
 
Old 07-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware (current), FreeBSD, Win10, It varies
Posts: 9,952

Rep: Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148
sync'ing firefox ... look in preferences, under sync sign up and they sync what they sync.
book marks and stuff..
 
Old 07-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
pcninja
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 93

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman View Post
No, you will need two different profiles as both versions OF firefox have differing options (and of course, pathnames). The easy solution is to keep the Windows profile on the Windows C: disk and the Linux one in your Linux home directory (on a Linux file system, FireFox uses symlinks i.e. for the lock, which ntfs doesn't support).
what do I do to keep them in sync then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx
sync'ing firefox ... look in preferences, under sync sign up and they sync what they sync.
book marks and stuff..
I don't really trust Mozilla with my private data, are there any alternatives?
 
Old 07-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #13
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware (current), FreeBSD, Win10, It varies
Posts: 9,952

Rep: Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcninja View Post
what do I do to keep them in sync then?



I don't really trust Mozilla with my private data, are there any alternatives?
if you do not trust them then who can you trust?
 
Old 07-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #14
pcninja
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 93

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
if you do not trust them then who can you trust?

other than myself? I don't know 100%. Is there a solution though for keeping my firefox profiles in sync without depending on 3rd party servers?
 
Old 07-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #15
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware (current), FreeBSD, Win10, It varies
Posts: 9,952

Rep: Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcninja View Post
other than myself? I don't know 100%. Is there a solution though for keeping my firefox profiles in sync without depending on 3rd party servers?
mmmm write your own web browser, and host it on a Linux server in your other room?

I'd not be that paranoid, what personal data are you putting into your web browser?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Root ownership vs wheel ownership StupidNewbie Linux - Security 2 08-08-2012 01:52 PM
How long would e2salvage take on a 1TB hard drive? anon004 Linux - General 1 09-23-2010 12:32 AM
New Hard Drive Setup Issues (Is there no hope? Should I take the hard drive back?) complete General 2 07-27-2010 02:08 PM
LXer: Hitachi 1TB 7K1000 Hard Drive LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-12-2008 08:00 PM
why 1tb hard drive has 878mb space only? pleasehelpme Linux - Newbie 2 12-10-2007 11:25 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Arch

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration