LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Arch (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/arch-29/)
-   -   can't get wireless to work (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/arch-29/cant-get-wireless-to-work-4175601555/)

BW-userx 03-13-2017 04:16 PM

arch also states you can use iw to do all of this.
Code:

iw command        wireless_tools command        Description
iw dev wlan0 link        iwconfig wlan0        Getting link status.
iw dev wlan0 scan        iwlist wlan0 scan        Scanning for available access points.
iw dev wlan0 set type ibss        iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc        Setting the operation mode to ad-hoc.
iw dev wlan0 connect your_essid        iwconfig wlan0 essid your_essid        Connecting to open network.
iw dev wlan0 connect your_essid 2432        iwconfig wlan0 essid your_essid freq 2432M        Connecting to open network specifying channel.
iw dev wlan0 connect your_essid key 0:your_key        iwconfig wlan0 essid your_essid key your_key        Connecting to WEP encrypted network using hexadecimal key.
iwconfig wlan0 essid your_essid key s:your_key        Connecting to WEP encrypted network using ASCII key.
iw dev wlan0 set power_save on        iwconfig wlan0 power on        Enabling power save.


BW-userx 03-13-2017 04:24 PM

this
Code:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo  iwlist wlan0 scan
sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "provider name" key "off" or number

then changes to this as root
Code:

ip link set wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 (may or may not need that one)
iwlist wlan0 scan

get your provider essid and key
Code:

iwconfig wlan0 essid "your_essid" key "your_key"
notice the difference? arch does this too.

bsth123 03-14-2017 09:45 AM

Thank you so much for all your help. You've given above and beyond, But unfortunately laptop is going back to dell, I'd been having problems with my laptop and had been going round and round and round with dell.

They said they could only troubleshoot windows. Well it crashed on me so now they are taking it back, whether I get a new one or not it's going to have windows 10 on it so I have to start again. I think this time I'll install debian and just enjoy my computer instead of fighting it. Thanks for being so great and I'm sorry for your troubles.

BW-userx 03-14-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsth123 (Post 5683298)
Thank you so much for all your help. You've given above and beyond, But unfortunately laptop is going back to dell, I'd been having problems with my laptop and had been going round and round and round with dell.

They said they could only troubleshoot windows. Well it crashed on me so now they are taking it back, whether I get a new one or not it's going to have windows 10 on it so I have to start again. I think this time I'll install debian and just enjoy my computer instead of fighting it. Thanks for being so great and I'm sorry for your troubles.

oh dell -- I only have horror stories about dell.

bsth123 03-14-2017 03:02 PM

I've got two other laptops that are dell and I never had a problem. Now it's too late but next time i'll know better. I've also used HP's and liked them. What do you recommend? I think I'm going to have to buy an extended warranty on this dell. I hate to see how much that will cost.

Ztcoracat 03-14-2017 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsth123 (Post 5683434)
I've got two other laptops that are dell and I never had a problem. Now it's too late but next time i'll know better. I've also used HP's and liked them. What do you recommend? I think I'm going to have to buy an extended warranty on this dell. I hate to see how much that will cost.

Toshibia laptops work well with Linux. Acer's do ok and Asus as well.
Certain HP's overheat:-

Zareason makes desktops and laptop specifically for "Linux only".
https://zareason.com/

-:::-Read the fine print on the extended warranty.......it may not cover what you think.-:::-
Return that Dell if it's not too late.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...ask-an-expert/

https://www.google.com/search?q=443-...ties+laptops&*

BW-userx 03-14-2017 05:13 PM

I have HP Elitebook 8460p been very very good to me

bsth123 03-15-2017 05:26 AM

I want to return it but I don't think that I can. I'm going to read the fine print on the warranty. thanks

Ztcoracat 03-15-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsth123 (Post 5683617)
I want to return it but I don't think that I can. I'm going to read the fine print on the warranty. thanks

Has it been more than 30 days?

You're Welcome.

bsth123 03-15-2017 01:21 PM

Yes it has. I already checked. I can't get my money back. And the hard drive is fried on my backup computer. it's old so I'm not spending money on it. I will probably get a refurbished notebook because I spent so much on that dell. I already have an optical drive I can use. There's no telling when I'll get my laptop back. I have a chromebook that's great but I want debian and a touch screen. Yes I am spoiled. :)

Ztcoracat 03-15-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsth123 (Post 5683810)
Yes it has. I already checked. I can't get my money back. And the hard drive is fried on my backup computer. it's old so I'm not spending money on it. I will probably get a refurbished notebook because I spent so much on that dell. I already have an optical drive I can use. There's no telling when I'll get my laptop back. I have a chromebook that's great but I want debian and a touch screen. Yes I am spoiled. :)

Sorry to hear that.

Maybe try another distro that's lightweight on that Dell. Lubuntu or Anti-x:-
You might just have success.

Debian and a touch screen sounds great!

Best of Luck to you.

cynwulf 03-15-2017 01:50 PM

I believe Arch Linux uses systemd... so referring to their documentation is your best option.

NetworkManager should be easiest rather than attempting manual configuration.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager

bsth123 03-15-2017 02:00 PM

I tried kubuntu and everything worked out of the box. But I found it too easy. I want to be challenged or i'll never learn to be a pro. i bought a book with all the command line uses. One of these days (years :) ) I'd like to try linux from scratch just for the experience. I also intend to give arch another try with a notebook. I get bored easily as you can probably tell.

bsth123 03-15-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynwulf (Post 5683822)
I believe Arch Linux uses systemd... so referring to their documentation is your best option.

NetworkManager should be easiest rather than attempting manual configuration.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager

I was following the documentation. Maybe it'll be easier with a different computer.

ondoho 03-15-2017 03:17 PM

not sure if you're still on archlinux, but this post should have been helpful:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 5682736)
no, that's supposed to be the driver you use, and from your post #1 i see that your wireless uses a different driver.
in fact it seems you simply copied over text from "man wpa_supplicant".
i also suspect that you don't necessarily need to specify the driver at all.

i also don't think your interface is called "wlan0".
from rfkill output, i'd say "phy0", but make sure with the command "ip link".



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.