ArchThis Forum is for the discussion of Arch Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Okay, so I did an update (the most dreaded moment of the weekend) and now, I'm confronted with some "surprises":
- The desktop switcher and clock are no longer "stuck" to the right top but now "float" somewhere along, how do I get them to stick to the upper right corner as before?
- The user (me, in fact) can no longer switch off the box, only log out. I enter in the GDM screen where I do have a shutdown option. How to I allow the user to shut the box down?
I know...I should know this by now, but my weekend is NOT going as planned and ... oh, well, just nudge me in the right direction, please.
Edit : I use XFCE as desktop, and Arch as distro...
Edit 2 : The shutdown has been solved (sorta) - the shutdown is...somewhere else now. In the Applications menu all the way down. That's typically Arch: there's always something different after an update...
Last edited by ButterflyMelissa; 05-20-2012 at 01:31 AM.
If you use the NVIDIA driver, re-install it, got mine desktop upsidedown and mirrored
What????????? Okay, you win, it's not that bad over here. I do use an NVIDIA here but the up is still up.
What I do have is that the clock and desktop switcher are now not anchored to the right top as before. I observed that on an other box as well, so, I know it's not just my main box, but the others as well...
But, thanks for the heads-up...I'll make a note in case I do get into that trouble...
Yes Nvidia seems to run fine and reports no errors thats the quircky about it.
I recommend that you go to runlevel 3 just do a
NVIDIA*run -a -q -N -s --ui=none
to recompile the nvidia module and straighten the opengl conflicts out. The above options (-a -q -N -s --ui=none) are: accept-licence,questions:give-standard-anwsers,no-network-update,verbose-off,no-user-interface
Thanks jv1212! I just did a quick scan of the thing, no problems there. I was somewhat surprised to see that profound change in behaviour after an update. It is stuff one can learn to live with, but should'nt HAVE to live with.
I'll be curious what the next update will bring. That's why I dont update that often, but only once per two weeks...