LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   antiX / MX Linux (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/antix-mx-linux-127/)
-   -   Kernel panic (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/antix-mx-linux-127/kernel-panic-4175665704/)

Crippled 12-09-2019 11:20 PM

Kernel panic
 
I am experiencing random kernel panic incidences. I experienced the same thing with Xubuntu 18.04LTS since last Friday after an update causing boot issues. Saturday's update corrected the booting issues. On Sunday I switched over to using MX Linux 19 with the same kernel panics. The computer will lock up solid where noting works. I did notice a kernel panic message once which the desktop computer was narrowly able to display the split second before it locked up. This rules out a distro problem and points to a hardware problem. I even tried a newer kernel because I have experienced issues with any kernel before 4.20 on my AMD Ryzen 7. I tired to look at the log in Thunar but either it won't open or I get a kernel panic trying to open it. I also can't find anything to open it even though I open Thunar as root. Is "syslog" the correct folder to look at? Does anyone know how I can see the log files and if so how I do get to view them?
Code:

System:    Host: xxxxx Kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1
          Distro: MX-19_x64 patito feo October 21  2019
Machine:  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: TUF X470-PLUS GAMING v: Rev X.0x
          serial: <root required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 4207 date: 12/08/2018
CPU:      Topology: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 4096 KiB
          Speed: 1723 MHz min/max: 1550/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1723 2: 1453 3: 1277
          4: 1277 5: 3191 6: 3081 7: 1335 8: 1460 9: 1745 10: 2483 11: 1348 12: 1479 13: 3057
          14: 2663 15: 2954 16: 1706
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series] driver: radeon v: kernel
          Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: radeon resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
          OpenGL: renderer: AMD CEDAR (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp LLVM 7.0.1)
          v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6
Audio:    Device-1: AMD Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300/7300 Series]
          driver: snd_hda_intel
          Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
          Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
Network:  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
          IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 0c:9d:92:11:18:9b
          IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 3.64 TiB used: 3.22 TiB (88.4%)
          ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Marvell model: Raid VD size: 3.64 TiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 3.58 TiB used: 3.21 TiB (89.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
          ID-2: /boot size: 487.9 MiB used: 271.5 MiB (55.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
          ID-3: swap-1 size: 1.98 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
Sensors:  System Temperatures: cpu: 36.8 C mobo: N/A gpu: radeon temp: 61 C
          Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 360 Uptime: 31m Memory: 23.53 GiB used: 3.49 GiB (14.8%) Shell: bash
          inxi: 3.0.36

Unfortunately GSmartControl can't scan the RAID 10 I have to see if there are any issues with it or not. :(

business_kid 12-10-2019 06:57 AM

I'd boot from an install dvd, another system, or a usb key.

Try /var/log for files. You want
  • /var/log/dmesg
  • /var/log/messages
  • /var/log/syslog
and possibly kern.log in the same location. I don't think systemd has taken over logging - yet.

Crippled 12-10-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by business_kid (Post 6066412)
I'd boot from an install dvd, another system, or a usb key.

Try /var/log for files. You want
  • /var/log/dmesg
  • /var/log/messages
  • /var/log/syslog
and possibly kern.log in the same location. I don't think systemd has taken over logging - yet.

Thanks. MX Linux doesn't use systemD. "/var/log/messages" won't open with FeatherPad because I get an error message saying it's too Huge. I was able to view "/var/log/dmesg and /var/log/syslog". What else could I use to view "/var/log/messages"?

ondoho 12-10-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crippled (Post 6066418)
What else could I use to view "/var/log/messages"?

Code:

less

Crippled 12-13-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondoho (Post 6066584)
Code:

less

less doesn't work. I checked to see if "less" is installed which it is because when I try to open the kernel log less is nowhere to be found.

business_kid 12-14-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crippled (Post 6067650)
less doesn't work. I checked to see if "less" is installed which it is because when I try to open the kernel log less is nowhere to be found.

Telling us less doesn't work without any further explanation is a frustrating waste of type to those trying to help you. You've told us your system is borked without giving us an inkling why. Copy or Explain the exact error and post it.

/usr/bin/less is a paging program. There's also more. Let's see some errors and we can sort your issues.

Crippled 12-14-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by business_kid (Post 6067796)
Telling us less doesn't work without any further explanation is a frustrating waste of type to those trying to help you. You've told us your system is borked without giving us an inkling why. Copy or Explain the exact error and post it.

/usr/bin/less is a paging program. There's also more. Let's see some errors and we can sort your issues.

There is no error. less is in that location you described but can't be opened because nothing is assigned to it to open it. When I right click on kern.log and select "Open Other Application" less is nowhere to be found. I need to know what is in the kernel log so I can see what is causing these kernel panics. How can I view it?

ondoho 12-14-2019 05:02 PM

a kitten just died...
and I am very sad.

business_kid 12-15-2019 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crippled (Post 6067921)
There is no error. less is in that location you described but can't be opened because nothing is assigned to it to open it. When I right click on kern.log and select "Open Other Application" less is nowhere to be found. I need to know what is in the kernel log so I can see what is causing these kernel panics. How can I view it?

OK, use 'less /path/to/logfile' in your case probably 'less /var/log/syslog' or whatever logfile you're looking at. They're typically huge, but the last boot is at the end.

Crippled 12-16-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by business_kid (Post 6068040)
OK, use 'less /path/to/logfile' in your case probably 'less /var/log/syslog' or whatever logfile you're looking at. They're typically huge, but the last boot is at the end.

Thank you. With some trail and error I figured it out that it's the C.L.I. way which worked for me in this case thanks to your help as I am command line illiterate. Strange thing is so far I haven't had any stability issues for the past two days which I wonder if it fixed it's self our I am just lucky nothing happened. The only change was I installed "Watchdog" and was still having full computer lockups but that has eventually seemed to stop happening. Perhaps Watchdog needed to settle in. "Only time will tell.

business_kid 12-17-2019 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crippled
I am command line illiterate

You'd want to fix that. Every program has a man page, so you can run 'man less' to get a quick (or not so quick) rundown of how to use them. Once you master less, cat, more, cp, rm, mv, mkdir, and a few others you can get around and do stuff. Google is full of examples. Just put linux in your search term.

Crippled 12-17-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by business_kid (Post 6068715)
You'd want to fix that. Every program has a man page, so you can run 'man less' to get a quick (or not so quick) rundown of how to use them. Once you master less, cat, more, cp, rm, mv, mkdir, and a few others you can get around and do stuff. Google is full of examples. Just put linux in your search term.

Nothing to fix. 8 bit computing is not for me.

ChuangTzu 12-17-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crippled (Post 6068918)
Nothing to fix. 8 bit computing is not for me.

Not going to get you very far, especially given that most problems can only be solved via the command line. You can't cook without going into the kitchen.

Crippled 12-17-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuangTzu (Post 6068963)
Not going to get you very far, especially given that most problems can only be solved via the command line. You can't cook without going into the kitchen.

I am not looking to get far. All I want is my computer to work. In the early 1980's I tried to work with the command line and I couldn't understand it as it looks like gibberish. Now it's 2019 and I still can't understand it as it still looks like gibberish. The last time I tried the command line I had you reformat my HDD because of it. If a G.U.I. can't do everything the command line does is because of incomplete engineering. My knowledge is in other areas.

ondoho 12-18-2019 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crippled (Post 6068918)
Nothing to fix. 8 bit computing is not for me.

Wrong answer, esp. for system maintenance.

And my computer is either 32 or 64 bit - as is yours.

Seriously, saying that the command line is obsolete is just plain wrong. Look at systemd - fairly new init system, yet totally CLI-centric. Just an example. Or powershell.

Anyhow, you were able to provide inxi output in your first post, put it in code tags. And the nature of your question literally begs for a non-GUI approach from the start.
Why turn away from that a few posts later?

I'm sure you're doing it on purpose. You've been here long enough to know that most advice will involve the CLI, and what sort of reaction you'll get if you ignore that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.