LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > AIX
User Name
Password
AIX This forum is for the discussion of IBM AIX.
eserver and other IBM related questions are also on topic.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Scott Johnston
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
AIX to RedHat Miagration


Simple question, if you have done it what issues did you deal with?
 
Old 07-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
Keruskerfuerst
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Horgau, Germany
Distribution: Manjaro KDE, Win 10
Posts: 2,197

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
What programs/databases do you want to migrate?
 
Old 07-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,499

Rep: Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Johnston View Post
Simple question, if you have done it what issues did you deal with?
That's like asking "How high is up?" Far too vague to get a meaningful answer.

In broad strokes, you're the same with AIX as you are with any other operating system: applications certified and designed to run on AIX will. Same with Linux. The only 'issue' you may face is one you may face going from one version of Linux to another, and that's scripts. Output from commands may differ, may have different command-line switches, or may not be present at all, and have an AIX equivalent.

You don't really 'migrate' from Linux to AIX...AIX is designed by and SOLD BY IBM, for use on IBM hardware. You purchase it, and CONTINUE to pay for it, and that means hardware support is narrow, but problems are fewer. You're not going to load AIX on any old piece of equipment.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
Scott Johnston
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I am just asking *IF* you have done this migration, what issues did you face. We are just investigating things at this point. We lease the equipment and pay for the OS.

The idea was to have more control over costs.

So for now I am just posting for information.
 
Old 07-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
John VV
LQ Muse
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: A2 area Mi.
Posts: 17,507

Rep: Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618Reputation: 2618
have you asked your RedHat SALES rep
they should be able to guide you to a Tech support person that knows
 
Old 07-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,499

Rep: Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Johnston View Post
I am just asking *IF* you have done this migration, what issues did you face.
Again, it's too broad to answer without any context/details. If you're using Oracle on a server, it'll run just fine on both AIX and Linux...zero issues. If you're using a piece of equipment that is certified to work with AIX, no issues. If you're not, your mileage may vary, since AIX support for hardware is more narrow than for Linux.
Quote:
We are just investigating things at this point. We lease the equipment and pay for the OS. The idea was to have more control over costs.
If you're looking to save money, AIX is *NOT* the way to go. IBM hardware isn't cheap, and neither is their OS. Also, they build in obsolescence. I've had server that were no where NEAR capacity (CPU, RAM, etc.), but the new version of AIX couldn't be loaded on it AT ALL. Their firmware is very picky. And you had BETTER plan on buying IBM racks, power cords, etc., because if you don't you are in an UNSUPPORTED CONFIGURATION. Worked with a company who spent millions a year with IBM...and they moaned about the holes in our server racks being round, instead of square, and said that could 'cause issues'. Seriously.
Quote:
So for now I am just posting for information.
And without context we can't say much at all. AIX isn't really unix, and it's different from Linux. Your issues will be hardware support and scripts.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Scott Johnston
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
have you asked your RedHat SALES rep
they should be able to guide you to a Tech support person that knows
I am not responsible for the OS side. I have no input on that at all. I asked and was told we are using RH.
 
Old 07-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Scott Johnston
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Again, it's too broad to answer without any context/details. If you're using Oracle on a server, it'll run just fine on both AIX and Linux...zero issues. If you're using a piece of equipment that is certified to work with AIX, no issues. If you're not, your mileage may vary, since AIX support for hardware is more narrow than for Linux.

If you're looking to save money, AIX is *NOT* the way to go. IBM hardware isn't cheap, and neither is their OS. Also, they build in obsolescence. I've had server that were no where NEAR capacity (CPU, RAM, etc.), but the new version of AIX couldn't be loaded on it AT ALL. Their firmware is very picky. And you had BETTER plan on buying IBM racks, power cords, etc., because if you don't you are in an UNSUPPORTED CONFIGURATION. Worked with a company who spent millions a year with IBM...and they moaned about the holes in our server racks being round, instead of square, and said that could 'cause issues'. Seriously.

And without context we can't say much at all. AIX isn't really unix, and it's different from Linux. Your issues will be hardware support and scripts.

I didn't want to go into details. You probabaly don't even know what the MV-RDMS database is and that's the coding part. I have that covered.

As I said, we want leave AIX.
 
Old 07-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,499

Rep: Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Johnston View Post
I didn't want to go into details. You probabaly don't even know what the MV-RDMS database is and that's the coding part. I have that covered.
Yes, thanks...I do know what RDMS is.
Quote:
As I said, we want leave AIX.
Then proceed; again, without ANY context, we can't even begin to guess if you'll have issues or not. Scripts may (or may not) work, but if you're purchasing RHEL or SLES, there are complete compatibility lists for hardware, and lots of certified software. JohnVV pointed out that you can contact your sales rep and ask. Most enterprise hardware will work just fine with Linux....but again, no details=we don't know.
 
Old 07-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #10
Scott Johnston
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Yes, thanks...I do know what RDMS is.
I did not write "RDMS" I wrote MV-RDMS. It's not a traditional DB. I'm not going to explain it to you because you come off like an ass.

As far as any "details", anything I would provide would not be any more useful because I an not the sys admin, I'm a Sr Software Engineer.

That is why I made the question very general.

Have a nice day.
 
Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,499

Rep: Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Johnston View Post
I did not write "RDMS" I wrote MV-RDMS. It's not a traditional DB. I'm not going to explain it to you because you come off like an ass.
I know what you wrote, and I know what it is.
Quote:
As far as any "details", anything I would provide would not be any more useful because I an not the sys admin, I'm a Sr Software Engineer. That is why I made the question very general.

Have a nice day.
If you're not in charge of the system, then why are you concerning yourself with the migration? You asked for advice, and people tried to help you, and this is how you respond? Good luck, you'll certainly need it.
 
Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
jpollard
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Location: Washington DC area
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Slackware
Posts: 4,880

Rep: Reputation: 1489Reputation: 1489Reputation: 1489Reputation: 1489Reputation: 1489Reputation: 1489Reputation: 1489Reputation: 1489Reputation: 1489Reputation: 1489
If you want general application issues - the big one is SELinux.

It provides very good mandatory access controls. The differences between what IBM uses for MAC and SELinux are fairly large...

The secondary problem is more related to shell scripts. If AIX has bash installed then the scripts using bash will not be much of an issue. But converting from other shells on AIX to bash sometimes doesn't go well. Adding zsh/ksh to RH may help.
 
Old 07-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #13
Scott Johnston
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
I know what you wrote, and I know what it is.

If you're not in charge of the system, then why are you concerning yourself with the migration? You asked for advice, and people tried to help you, and this is how you respond? Good luck, you'll certainly need it.
So what is "MV"?

You started with the insulting dialog.

I am in charge of the verification of all our code (6700 programs) to the new platform. Migration is not a one man job. The sys admin has NO CLUE how to handle the code.

I asked the general question and expected general ideas and answers. Frankly you were the only one to complain. I expect you aren't well liked in real life.

Ce'est la vie! Have a nice day!

Last edited by Scott Johnston; 07-07-2015 at 10:25 AM.
 
Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #14
Scott Johnston
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Posts: 26

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollard View Post
If you want general application issues - the big one is SELinux.

It provides very good mandatory access controls. The differences between what IBM uses for MAC and SELinux are fairly large...

The secondary problem is more related to shell scripts. If AIX has bash installed then the scripts using bash will not be much of an issue. But converting from other shells on AIX to bash sometimes doesn't go well. Adding zsh/ksh to RH may help.
Thanks, now I will have to find out which shells are installed on RH. I'm pretty sure both systems are bash, but that is a very good point I didn't think of!
 
Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 23,499

Rep: Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721Reputation: 6721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Johnston View Post
So what is "MV"?
You started with the insulting dialog.
Please, point out where I did so. Aside from asking you for details, I did try (several times), to point out to you that pretty much shells are going to change, as well as some commands for scripts. Since you're a programmer, you obviously already know the differences between architectures of PPC vs. x64 (but again, you don't provide ANY about what hardware is changing).
Quote:
I am in charge of the verification of all our code (6700 programs) to the new platform. Migration is not a one man job.
If you are honestly in charge of 6700 programs, good luck. It isn't a one man job, but you appear to be lacking many of the communications skills you'll need to work with a team.
Quote:
The sys admin has NO CLUE how to handle the code.
...because they don't have to. The job of the systems admin is to make the system work, and get the resources available to the people who need them, like the coders and users.
Quote:
I asked the general question and expected general ideas and answers. Frankly you were the only one to complain.
And you GOT general ideas and answers...but didn't seem to like them. No one complained, we asked you for details, and you whined and started insulting people. Again, good luck if you are actually a team leader.
Quote:
I expect you aren't well liked in real life.
And you'd be very wrong.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Step by Step Migration Process of AIX to RedHat & Hp-UX to RedHat austinbravo Linux - Newbie 5 06-07-2010 06:26 PM
RedHat on AIX LPAR ruffnek217 Red Hat 1 07-28-2009 02:39 PM
Redhat and AIX sj_johney Linux - General 3 05-05-2007 12:12 PM
Redhat exported NFS; mounted on AIX dochs Red Hat 0 10-28-2004 05:02 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > AIX

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration