LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > 4MLinux
User Name
Password
4MLinux This forum is for the discussion of 4MLinux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2020, 03:01 AM   #1
Edward4m
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Location: Delft, The Netherlands
Distribution: 4mlinux
Posts: 65

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
USB-C - Internet LAN Netwerk Adapter


HI ZK and other 4m enthusiasts,
Before I even consider buying a new HP laptop with a touchscreen, without an ethernet port, the following question springs to mind:
Will 4m Linux recognize an ethernet lan connection if I use an USB-C - Internet LAN Network Adapter?
Or is this not advisable at all?
Experiences anyone?
Thanks in advance, greetings!

Last edited by Edward4m; 11-21-2020 at 03:43 AM.
 
Old 11-21-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 17,708
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522
It depends on the wireless chipset in the adapter.

Some manufacturers of USB wireless adapters provide much better Linux support than others.

It might help if you provide the make/model of the adapter and research what chipset it contains. If you don't already have the adapter, I would recommend buying from a vendor that specializes in native Linux computers, such as ThinkPenguin.com.

Full Disclosure: I have no connection with ThinkPenguin except as an occasional, but satisfied customer. I have purchased several USB wireless adapters from them over the years and they have all worked.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:08 AM   #3
Edward4m
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Location: Delft, The Netherlands
Distribution: 4mlinux
Posts: 65

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
It depends on the wireless chipset in the adapter.

Some manufacturers of USB wireless adapters provide much better Linux support than others.

It might help if you provide the make/model of the adapter and research what chipset it contains. If you don't already have the adapter, I would recommend buying from a vendor that specializes in native Linux computers, such as ThinkPenguin.com.

Full Disclosure: I have no connection with ThinkPenguin except as an occasional, but satisfied customer. I have purchased several USB wireless adapters from them over the years and they have all worked.
Hi Frank,
perhaps it is my shortcoming in the English language that has led to a misunderstanding.
I didn't mean a wireless adapter but wired.
Nevertheless, your reply has helped me a lot. There is quite a lot of crap of this type of device on the market apparently. No surprise there and I rest my case.
What do surprises me, perhaps a bit naive, is that a lot of new laptop/notebooks comes without an ethernet connector.
And on the Thinkpenquin website they sell a dailup modem!
Try to explain a Dutch person that a lot of people in the USA, to name but one country, still rely on dailup..
Anyway, getting a bit carried away here.
Even though I am quite certain that a (proper) wired USB-c - ethernet adapter will work with 4M Linux I will leave this thread unsolved until I or someone else confirms that it will.
Greetings!
 
Old 11-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 21,907

Rep: Reputation: 4298Reputation: 4298Reputation: 4298Reputation: 4298Reputation: 4298Reputation: 4298Reputation: 4298Reputation: 4298Reputation: 4298Reputation: 4298Reputation: 4298
frankbell is still correct, it depends on the chipset of the device and the kernel version you are running.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethe...11&s=pc&sr=1-4

This should be plug and play for kernels >=3.9
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
zk1234
4MLinux Maintainer
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Poland
Distribution: 4MLinux, Slackware
Posts: 1,145

Rep: Reputation: 211Reputation: 211Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
frankbell is still correct, it depends on the chipset of the device and the kernel version you are running.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethe...11&s=pc&sr=1-4

This should be plug and play for kernels >=3.9
So my guess is that the device in question should work under 4MLinux.

.
 
Old 11-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
Edward4m
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2015
Location: Delft, The Netherlands
Distribution: 4mlinux
Posts: 65

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by zk1234 View Post
So my guess is that the device in question should work under 4MLinux.

.
My guess too! All be it that the price is almost to good to be true. But customer service seems to be okay.
"Solved" as far as I am concerned!
 
Old 11-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #7
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 17,708
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522Reputation: 5522
Quote:
Nevertheless, your reply has helped me a lot. There is quite a lot of crap of this type of device on the market apparently. No surprise there and I rest my case.
When you said "USB," I just leapt to the conclusion you meant a USB wireless adapter. I'm glad I could help, even if I misunderstood your question! And thanks for filling me in on the rest of the story.

Quote:
What do surprises me, perhaps a bit naive, is that a lot of new laptop/notebooks comes without an ethernet connector.
It really is quite appalling. Many persons are all wifi all the time, but the notion that the ethernet port might go the way of the parallel port is, quite frankly, appalling.

I think some manufacturers are so enamored of slim styles that they have chosen to sacrifice functionality just to shave a millimeter or two off the profile of the machine.

Quote:
Try to explain a Dutch person that a lot of people in the USA, to name but one country, still rely on dailup..
The U. S. A. is a big country, and many parts of it are comparatively empty of people, almost unpopulated in fact.

In the moderately and highly populated parts, cable and other forms of broadband connections are readily available. But when you get into some of the least populated parts, such as, for example, the Appalachian highlands (western Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina; and eastern Kentucky and Tennessee; and northwestern Georgia) or communities in the western desert/mountain states (Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Wyoming, and so on) broadband is often still unavailable outside of the urban/suburban areas.

Heck, my brother lives not three hours from me in a relatively populous rural part of Virginia, and his internet connection is by directional wireless and his television is by Direct TV, as cable does not reach to where he lives.

Last edited by frankbell; 11-22-2020 at 07:37 PM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Built-in USB Ethernet adapter vs. (standard) Ethernet adapter bgs@pt Linux - Networking 1 01-06-2013 08:05 PM
Fedora 9 and Network Adapter 3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 11g Compact USB Adapter mpharkin Linux - Newbie 1 09-20-2008 05:18 AM
LAN Adapter and Wireless adapter stopping each other? Quirrel Linux - Wireless Networking 1 06-12-2007 04:41 PM
Lisa setup small netwerk twinkers Linux - Software 0 05-17-2006 07:58 AM
How to Connect to a windows netwerk with a linux pc DraXon_Linux General 2 08-02-2004 08:32 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > 4MLinux

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration