LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   4MLinux (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/4mlinux-115/)
-   -   The 4MLinux 35 series. (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/4mlinux-115/the-4mlinux-35-series-4175682805/)

zk1234 09-27-2020 02:39 PM

The 4MLinux 35 series.
 
This thread is for tracking the development of the 4MLinux 35 series.

4MLinux 35.0 Core BETA released.
This is a core system (only about 10 MB in size) for the 4MLinux 35 series. The system includes: the Linux kernel 5.4.61, GNU C Library 2.32, and BusyBox 1.31.1. The 4MLinux 35 series uses GNU Compiler Collection 10.2.0 to compile programs designed for the x86_64 architecture.

Despite its extremely small size, 4MLinux Core supports both BIOS and UEFI boot modes.

More:
https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.co...-released.html

.

zk1234 09-30-2020 04:43 PM

4MLinux 35.0 BETA released.
 
4MLinux 35.0 BETA is ready for testing. Basically, at this stage of development, 4MLinux BETA has the same features as 4MLinux STABLE, but it provides a huge number of updated packages.

Road map:
September 2020 -> BETA
December 2020 -> STABLE
March 2021 -> OLD STABLE
June 2021 -> EOL

More:
https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.co...-released.html

.

zk1234 10-17-2020 03:27 PM

Antivirus Live CD 35.0-0.103.0 released.
 
Antivirus Live CD is an official 4MLinux fork including the ClamAV scanner. It's designed for users who need a lightweight live CD, which will help them to protect their computers against viruses. The latest version 35.0-0.103.0 is based on 4MLinux 35.0 BETA and ClamAV 0.103.0.

More:
https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.co...-released.html

.

zk1234 11-15-2020 10:57 AM

BakAndImgCD 35.0 released.
 
BakAndImgCD is an official 4MLinux fork, which has been designed to perform the following two tasks: data backup and disk imaging. The 4MLinux Backup Scripts make use of FSArchiver, GNU ddrescue, Partclone, Partimage, rsync, and other utilities. The output files (archives and images) can be optionally compressed and sent to a remote sever (using Ethernet, WiFi, PPP or PPPoE). This release is based on the 4MLinux Backup Scripts 35.0.

More:
https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.co...-released.html

.

zk1234 11-30-2020 02:34 PM

TheSSS 35.0 released.
 
This is a major release based on the 4MLinux Server 35.0, meaning that the components of the LAMP server are now: Linux 5.75, Apache 2.4.46, MariaDB 10.5.7, and PHP (both 5.6.40 and 7.4.12).

You can update your TheSSS by executing the "zk update" command (fully automatic process).

More:
https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.co...-released.html

.

zk1234 12-24-2020 01:53 PM

4MLinux 35.0 STABLE released.
 
The status of the 4MLinux 35.0 series has been changed to STABLE. Edit your documents with LibreOffice 7.0.4.2 and GNOME Office (AbiWord 3.0.4, GIMP 2.10.22, Gnumeric 1.12.48), share your files using DropBox 109.4.517, surf the Internet with Firefox 84.0 and Chromium 83.0.4103.116, send emails via Thunderbird 78.6.0, enjoy your music collection with Audacious 4.0.5, watch your favorite videos with VLC 3.0.11 and mpv 0.32.0, play games powered by Mesa 20.1.7 and Wine 5.21. You can also setup the 4MLinux LAMP Server (Linux 5.4.75, Apache 2.4.46, MariaDB 10.5.7, PHP 5.6.40 and PHP 7.4.12). Perl 5.32.0, Python 2.7.18, and Python 3.8.5 are also available.

As always, the new major release has some new features. Inkscape (vector graphics editor) is now available as a downloadable extension. Dangerous Dave has been added to the collection of games which can be played via DOSBox. Notepad++ (advanced code editor) has been included in the 4MLinux Wine package. Nmap (network scanner) and ircII (IRC client) have been added to the 4MLinux Server.


More:
https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.co...-released.html

.

zk1234 12-29-2020 04:55 PM

TheSSS 35.1 released.
 
This is a minor (point) release based on the 4MLinux Server 35.1, meaning that the components of the LAMP server are now: Linux 5.4.85, Apache 2.4.46, MariaDB 10.5.8, and PHP (both 5.6.40 and 7.4.13).

You can update your TheSSS by executing the "zk update" command (fully automatic process).

More:
https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.co...-released.html

.

linustalman 01-02-2021 01:19 AM

Is Firefox no longer available (the default browser is now NetSurf)? Also - where is Notepadd++ (I read that it was supposed to be there by default for v35)? Thank you. :-)

Edit: I got FF (also Pale Moon) & N++ via the Extensions section of the menu. You're done a sterling job with your distro. Kudos!

zk1234 01-03-2021 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linustalman (Post 6202792)
You're done a sterling job with your distro. Kudos!

Thanks!

.

zk1234 01-24-2021 06:56 AM

4MLinux 35.1 released.
 
This is a minor (point) release in the 4MLinux STABLE channel, which comes with the Linux kernel 5.4.85. The 4MLinux Server now includes Apache 2.4.46, MariaDB 10.5.8, and PHP 7.4.13.
You can update your 4MLinux by executing the "zk update" command in your terminal (fully automatic process).

More:
https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.co...-released.html

.

Edward4m 01-30-2021 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zk1234 (Post 6211299)
This is a minor (point) release in the 4MLinux STABLE channel, which comes with the Linux kernel 5.4.85. The 4MLinux Server now includes Apache 2.4.46, MariaDB 10.5.8, and PHP 7.4.13.
You can update your 4MLinux by executing the "zk update" command in your terminal (fully automatic process).

More:
https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.co...-released.html

.

Hi ZK
Cursor not moving and no internet (ethernet) connection after update to 35.1.
Everything worked fine under 35.0.
Updated several times with same result.
Kind regards!
system: HP Elitebook 745 G3. Should be okay.

zk1234 01-30-2021 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward4m (Post 6213668)
Hi ZK
Cursor not moving and no internet (ethernet) connection after update to 35.1.
Everything worked fine under 35.0.
Updated several times with same result.
Kind regards!
system: HP Elitebook 745 G3. Should be okay.

Hi,

After installing 4MLinux 35.0:
1. Install GRUB (Menu>Maintenance>MiscTools>GNU GRUB).
2. Reboot
After performing these two steps you should have no problem with the "zk update" command.

Best regards,
zk1234

.

zk1234 01-30-2021 01:19 PM

TheSSS 35.2 released.
 
This is a minor (point) release based on the 4MLinux Server 35.2, meaning that the components of the LAMP server are now: Linux 5.4.91, Apache 2.4.46, MariaDB 10.5.8, and PHP (both 5.6.40 and 7.4.14).

You can update your TheSSS by executing the "zk update" command (fully automatic process).

More:
https://4mlinux-releases.blogspot.co...-released.html

.

Edward4m 01-31-2021 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zk1234 (Post 6213729)
Hi,

After installing 4MLinux 35.0:
1. Install GRUB (Menu>Maintenance>MiscTools>GNU GRUB).
2. Reboot
After performing these two steps you should have no problem with the "zk update" command.

Best regards,
zk1234

.

Thank you for your reply!

I have tried several installations, including legacy installs.
The installation and update to 35.1 (and grub) give me no problems but,
when it boots up the script holds for a while at:

Clocksource: switched to clocksource tsc
ata: softreset failed (1st fis failed)

Than the script goes on and stops at

end kernel panic-not syncing
vfs:unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0) ]---

Installing 4mlinux has allways been easy for me, but now I am in the dark.:rolleyes:

zk1234 01-31-2021 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward4m (Post 6214174)
Thank you for your reply!

I have tried several installations, including legacy installs.
The installation and update to 35.1 (and grub) give me no problems but,
when it boots up the script holds for a while at:

Clocksource: switched to clocksource tsc
ata: softreset failed (1st fis failed)

Than the script goes on and stops at

end kernel panic-not syncing
vfs:unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0) ]---

Installing 4mlinux has allways been easy for me, but now I am in the dark.:rolleyes:

Hi,

In your first post: you were able to install 35.0 and upgrade to 35.1. The 35.1 system boots to JWM, but it hangs.
In your second post: unable to boot, kernel panic.

These are two totally different scenarios. Which of them is correct? If the second one, then try to set Secure Boot to disabled in your BIOS. If this does not help, then additionally set Legacy Support to enabled. You should find these two options in the advanced BIOS settings.

.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.