LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > 2016 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards
User Name
Password
2016 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards This forum is for the 2016 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards.
You can now vote for your favorite projects/products of 2016. This is your chance to be heard! Voting ends on February 7th.


Notices


View Poll Results: Raster Graphics Editor of the Year
CinePaint 0 0%
darktable 11 5.88%
DigiKam 5 2.67%
GIMP 143 76.47%
GNU Paint 2 1.07%
Krita 15 8.02%
RawTherapee 9 4.81%
Shotwell 2 1.07%
Tux Paint 0 0%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #16
normanlinux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Distribution: Arch and SuSE
Posts: 151

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Really?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
you what?
i never had any problems with this.
also i just tried it, exporting a .png image to .jpg simply by changing the extension in the save dialog, and the resulting image is indeed JPEG encoded.

version: GIMP 2.8.18
How did you manage that? - see attached screenshot from Gimp 2.8.18
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_Gimp.png
Views:	14
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	23925  
 
Old 01-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #17
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,979
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanlinux View Post
How did you manage that? - see attached screenshot from Gimp 2.8.18
lol, you are confusing exporting with saving.
saving is for XCF files only (as it says in the dialog), that's a gimp file format with all layers and other info, like a photoshop file (forgot which extension they use).

what you really want is "Export" or "Export as... " .
 
Old 01-10-2017, 06:10 AM   #18
normanlinux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Distribution: Arch and SuSE
Posts: 151

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
lol, you are confusing exporting with saving.
saving is for XCF files only (as it says in the dialog), that's a gimp file format with all layers and other info, like a photoshop file (forgot which extension they use).

what you really want is "Export" or "Export as... " .
No, this is just what I was referring to in my original post that you misunderstood.

I have been using Gimp since the early releases and I, like almost all users, found it very useful to be able to save out a png or (occasionally) jpeg by simply changing the extension - much as you can do when you save in LibreOffice, for example.

When the team behind Gimp decided to disallow that, there were a lot of complaints from users. The reaction of the team was to the effect of you are only users, We are the creators so we know best.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #19
Xinef5
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Mint 18 Sarah MATE
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanlinux View Post
When the team behind Gimp decided to disallow that, there were a lot of complaints from users. The reaction of the team was to the effect of you are only users, We are the creators so we know best.
One thing I don't understand is why the community didn't solve it the usual way - just make a fork with this feature, and convince various distros to use the fork instead of the primary GIMP. As long as the fork would auto-merge all primary-GIMP updates in order not to fall behind, it would seem like a logical solution in the open source world.

I mean, there is software where it makes sense to keep exporting and saving separate for various reasons:
- In inkscape you export to png, which cannot be easily converted back to svg. Also, you may choose to export only a part/selection of the entire scene.
- In Blender it's also common to export only the selected object, and when exporting to various formats you lose various parts of the information, so once again it doesn't make much sense to reimport a given thing back to blender.

In GIMP though, it's nothing uncommon to export to jpg/png or other raster format, and then reimport to GIMP to work on something again. Sometimes losing the information about layers and change history is desired, in order not to clutter a larger project with layers and history from sub-projects for example. Also in GIMP, exporting is always done on the entire image. One more notable thing is that very often people work on a single layer, if there is no need for more, in which case very little info is lost when exporting. Thus I find it understandable that many people would prefer to have exporting and saving unified into the same interface. Now, there's nothing wrong with people who prefer otherwise, that's why it could be made an optional toggle in GIMP options, just like single-window mode is, or as I said, a fork would work.

Personally, I don't care much because once you know what's going on, it does not take any extra work. But for the sake of people who use gimp for the first time and are confused why they can't save to jpg, I guess it would make sense. No big deal though. I'm more curious why the community didn't solve it yet, even though they're perfectly able to do so. Or rather, why the solution didn't catch on, considering most users (AFAIK) would prefer it and there are already various GIMP forks. Yet most distros still stick to the original GIMP.




_________
EDIT: Now that I think about it, the easiest explanation is this:
- Since GIMP is a raster editor, it's very common to open jpgs/pngs/gifs/bmps etc.
Therefore it's odd that the save function does not mimic the open behaviour (which will import non-xcf files).

Last edited by Xinef5; 01-10-2017 at 07:28 AM.
 
Old 01-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #20
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,979
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682
tl;dr

the gist here is:
what normanlinux wants is possible with gimp, and always has been.
maybe the terminology has changed at some point - what was once called "Save" is now called "Export".

i can see how a lot of users would complain about that...
 
Old 01-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #21
Xinef5
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Mint 18 Sarah MATE
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
tl;dr

the gist here is:
what normanlinux wants is possible with gimp, and always has been.
maybe the terminology has changed at some point - what was once called "Save" is now called "Export".

i can see how a lot of users would complain about that...
I think what normanlinux wants is for the save and export menu options (and thus also keyboard shortcuts) to be merged into a single save option, that is capable of both saving to .xcf and to any image format. Thus by changing extension (in the text field) from .xcf to .jpg you could export instead of saving. And thus ctrl-s / ctrl-shift-s could also be used to export. That's a behavior many users would expect.



Now this is just one of many similar situations, where a significant number of users demand a (simple) feature, but the developers don't want to add it for silly reasons. (One common reason is because old users would be confused by new behavior, but then the solution is to make the feature optional)

One other case I can remember is with Blender where the default behavior on exit was to discard changes. Many users demanded for a feature where Blender would prompt "do you want to save/discard/cancel ?" if you tried to exit with unsaved changes, like most serious software do. Blender developers answered that "It's a tool for professionals, we assume when you exit, you know what you're doing" or something along those lines.

But at least after some time it ended up as an optional feature, that you can turn on in preferences, although it might still be off by default

Last edited by Xinef5; 01-11-2017 at 03:20 PM.
 
Old 01-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #22
normanlinux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Distribution: Arch and SuSE
Posts: 151

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Angry Not wanted to add, retain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinef5 View Post
I think what normanlinux wants is for the save and export menu options (and thus also keyboard shortcuts) to be merged into a single save option, that is capable of both saving to .xcf and to any image format. Thus by changing extension (in the text field) from .xcf to .jpg you could export instead of saving. And thus ctrl-s / ctrl-shift-s could also be used to export. That's a behavior many users would expect.



Now this is just one of many similar situations, where a significant number of users demand a (simple) feature, but the developers don't want to add it for silly reasons. (One common reason is because old users would be confused by new behavior, but then the solution is to make the feature optional)

One other case I can remember is with Blender where the default behavior on exit was to discard changes. Many users demanded for a feature where Blender would prompt "do you want to save/discard/cancel ?" if you tried to exit with unsaved changes, like most serious software do. Blender developers answered that "It's a tool for professionals, we assume when you exit, you know what you're doing" or something along those lines.

But at least after some time it ended up as an optional feature, that you can turn on in preferences, although it might still be off by default
It is not something that I wanted added to Gimp, it is something that was there from the beginning but that the developers opted to remove against the wishes of their users.

Prior to 2.8, if you wanted to work on an image and save the result as a png or jpg that is exactly what you did, and then you could exit. Just a couple of keystrokes. Now, you need to choose menu option "Export as" (yes, I know that you can use shft-control-E) then quit, then choose to discard changes. It is this last, annoying, step that users didn't want.

Make no mistake, I still like Gimp and I have, over 15 years, both used and taught it - including rewriting Photoshop based teaching material for use in a prison's education department, where students were able to gain qualifications in Photoshop based exams using Gimp so that they could exercise their skills at home once released
 
Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #23
Xinef5
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Mint 18 Sarah MATE
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanlinux View Post
It is not something that I wanted added to Gimp, it is something that was there from the beginning but that the developers opted to remove against the wishes of their users.
Ok, sorry if that's the case. I've used GIMP for over a decade, but I don't remember this behavior change. Which might be caused by the faulty memory chips of my brain. Pretty hard to get them replaced with new ones :/ And backups are hard to do.
 
Old 01-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #24
normanlinux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Distribution: Arch and SuSE
Posts: 151

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinef5 View Post
. . . might be caused by the faulty memory chips of my brain. Pretty hard to get them replaced with new ones :/ And backups are hard to do.

Hah, EggTimers disease - like the rest of us!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:59 AM   #25
msdobrescu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Romania
Distribution: Sabayon
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 3
I can't mix them all here.
darktable, RawTherapee, DigiKam are for photography development and should not be mixed here. I don't know CinePaint...
They can't paint as Gimp and they serve a different purpose.
Where is Inkscape, a great tool for vector graphics? Calligra? I can't find their section...

Last edited by msdobrescu; 01-18-2017 at 03:01 AM.
 
Old 01-21-2017, 02:32 AM   #26
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,979
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdobrescu View Post
Where is Inkscape, a great tool for vector graphics?
this poll is for raster graphics as opposed to vector graphics.
is there another poll for vector graphics editor of the year? probably should be.
 
Old 01-22-2017, 03:36 AM   #27
msdobrescu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Romania
Distribution: Sabayon
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 3
To be opposed, there must be that vector graphics poll.

Anyway, photography means raw processing, which is a pretty specific technology and approach, so I wouldn't include them in this poll too.
 
Old 02-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #28
dchmelik
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Washington state, USA
Distribution: NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OpenSolaris, Slackware, Salix, FreeSlack, Android
Posts: 267

Rep: Reputation: 24
GIMP is most powerful, but for certain techniques, I prefer one or more of gPaint, KolourPaint, Libre Office Draw, mtPaint, MyPaint, Pinta, XPaint
 
Old 02-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #29
onlyonemac
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Distribution: Linux Mint 17 MATE Edition
Posts: 53

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Long-time GIMP user here, but lately I've been getting into photography and RawTherapee's really useful. I also think Krita's a really good application but sadly I don't have the graphics tablet that I need to get the best out of it.
 
Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 AM   #30
redcat15
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Russia
Distribution: Linux Gentoo
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
GIMP
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Writing your own raster editor? Paralel Linux - General 3 08-20-2009 04:31 AM
LXer: Debate arises over an open raster graphics format LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-08-2006 04:03 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > 2016 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration