LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > 2016 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards
User Name
Password
2016 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards This forum is for the 2016 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards.
You can now vote for your favorite projects/products of 2016. This is your chance to be heard! Voting ends on February 7th.


Notices


View Poll Results: Desktop Distribution of the Year
antiX 6 0.71%
Arch 68 8.08%
BunsenLabs 5 0.59%
Chakra 1 0.12%
Debian 98 11.64%
Devuan 8 0.95%
elementary OS 7 0.83%
Fedora 74 8.79%
Gentoo 11 1.31%
Linux Deepin 0 0%
Linux Lite 4 0.48%
Linux Mint 131 15.56%
Linux Mint Debian Edition 5 0.59%
Mageia 19 2.26%
Manjaro 14 1.66%
MX Linux 28 3.33%
Nanolinux 3 0.36%
openSUSE 52 6.18%
PClinuxOS 28 3.33%
Peach OSI 0 0%
Peppermint 4 0.48%
Puppy 1 0.12%
Sabayon 5 0.59%
Salix 4 0.48%
Slackware 135 16.03%
Solus 6 0.71%
SolydXK 0 0%
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 1 0.12%
Ubuntu 118 14.01%
Void Linux 3 0.36%
Zorin OS 3 0.36%
Voters: 842. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #46
Myk267
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 311
Blog Entries: 14

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanlinux View Post
This is a category for Desktop distribution.

I am aware that the server distribution page refers to Linux - as people want Linux servers. That doesn't change the fact that for their desktop page they avoid all reference to Linux - pretending, instead, that this is something unique "the Ubuntu desktop operating system" and, yes, I do know that you can find some references to Linux on the wiki page but that doesn't alter the fact that nowhere on the Desktop page of the Ubuntu web site is their any mention of Linux

Of course, despite their pretence, uname will reveal that Linux is hidden inside.
The only thing which can be verified is that, so far, Canonical hasn't written the word "Linux" on the page https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop. There's no evidence of them avoiding, or pretending to do anything else that you claim.

I've demonstrated that Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, and therefore fine to discuss and include in polls here on LinuxQuestions.

Though, https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop conveniently looks like it's a desktop distribution, you know, for this thread's poll options.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #47
weirdwolf
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2007
Location: 1 AU from a G2V star
Distribution: PCLinuxOS LXDE
Posts: 184

Rep: Reputation: 385Reputation: 385Reputation: 385Reputation: 385
PCLinuxOS
 
Old 01-12-2017, 01:31 AM   #48
onlyonemac
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Distribution: Linux Mint 17 MATE Edition
Posts: 53

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I voted Ubuntu, but seriously I mean Ubuntu MATE. Should really be a separate option.
 
Old 01-12-2017, 02:42 AM   #49
hydrurga
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 18.2 MATE
Posts: 3,491
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 1196Reputation: 1196Reputation: 1196Reputation: 1196Reputation: 1196Reputation: 1196Reputation: 1196Reputation: 1196Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonemac View Post
I voted Ubuntu, but seriously I mean Ubuntu MATE. Should really be a separate option.
If we had separate options for all the different distro/desktop environment combinations, I couldn't imagine how long the list would be. :-) I assume therefore that you're joking?
 
Old 01-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #50
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Laptops: Debian Jessie XFCE, NAS: OpenMediaVault 3.0
Posts: 1,355

Rep: Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
If we had separate options for all the different distro/desktop environment combinations, I couldn't imagine how long the list would be. :-) I assume therefore that you're joking?
No kidding.. if you want to vote for MATE, there's a Desktop Environment of the year poll..
 
Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #51
teresaejunior
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2013
Location: /home
Distribution: Xubuntu
Posts: 105

Rep: Reputation: 14
Xubuntu has great defaults. Just install a few of my favorite apps on top of it.
 
Old 01-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #52
nebutron
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Distribution: elementary/openmediavault/debian.
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Tried elementary a couple of months ago and can't bring myself to let go. Works great on my laptop. Stupid easy to use.
 
Old 01-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #53
revbish
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Location: Bethlehem, Georgia, US
Distribution: Tahrpup-64 6.0.5, AntiX, ROSA
Posts: 35

Rep: Reputation: 14
Tahrpup64 is my fave. Does everything I need & want it to, & I'm wagering all the average joe or jane wants to do, too. I love it!

Last edited by revbish; 01-17-2017 at 06:56 PM.
 
Old 01-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #54
joshg253
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Bellevue, WA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Arch, but installed via Architect, Arch Anywhere, or Archlinux Ultimate Install.
 
Old 01-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #55
slacknoff
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Location: North Carolina,USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 stable
Posts: 17

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Slackware. I like the control it gives me and feel it is as secure as it gets
Plus, no systemD.
 
Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #56
jackaccyou
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2017
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi, i just recently few days ago and i have already activated my account, but i still can't vote
 
Old 01-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #57
Xinef5
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2016
Distribution: Mint 18 Sarah MATE
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaccyou View Post
Hi, i just recently few days ago and i have already activated my account, but i still can't vote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
* You must have at least one post to be able to vote.
--jeremy
So you should be able to vote now, since you just posted.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #58
jackaccyou
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2017
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinef5 View Post
So you should be able to vote now, since you just posted.
o yes, didn't realize i have to post at least once to vote.. haha thx!
 
Old 01-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #59
redcat15
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Russia
Distribution: Linux Gentoo
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Gentoo is my favorite distribution.
 
Old 01-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #60
aguador
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Location: Madrid, Spain
Distribution: Mageia (Cauldron)
Posts: 53

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebutron View Post
Tried elementary a couple of months ago and can't bring myself to let go. Works great on my laptop. Stupid easy to use.
I would honestly love to hear more as I have never seen the charm. Is it only ease of use? What about functionality? What do you use the laptop for? It is merely an Ubuntu remix, so what makes it a better distro?

Linux.com went so far as to predict that elmentryOS would rise to the top of the DistroWatch ratings, yet every review I have read suggests that it still has a lot of kinks (if not bugs) to be ironed out, so that it comes down to easy-to-use-but-not-quite-ready-for-prime-time eye candy. A highly critical review (in line with the nature of the reviewer): http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/e...-0-4-loki.html; a less negative but still critical review: https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?i...031#elementary.

I know that I said good things about Solus which still needs a bit of work, but elementary has been floating out there longer and has not been built (mostly) from the ground up as has Solus.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desktop Distribution of the Year jeremy 2015 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 69 02-13-2016 09:40 PM
Desktop Distribution of the Year jeremy 2013 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 189 02-16-2014 07:19 AM
Desktop Distribution of the Year jeremy 2011 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 163 08-28-2012 12:26 AM
Desktop Distribution of the Year jeremy 2009 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 227 06-15-2010 05:10 AM
Desktop Distribution of the Year jeremy 2007 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards 239 06-02-2008 11:49 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > 2016 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration