LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   2005 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/2005-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-69/)
-   -   Web Development Editor of the Year (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/2005-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-69/web-development-editor-of-the-year-409044/)

KimVette 02-10-2006 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrosim
Kate, but bluefish makes an ok second. I never use it though.

FYI Quanta uses Kate as its editor, but adds a LOT more memu options for text manipulation. The only thing that Kate/Quanta is missing that I REALLY need is macros.

danex50 02-16-2006 02:36 AM

Quanta. Simply for PHP and it's great CSS editor.

d0g 02-16-2006 04:23 AM

NetBeans 5.0...

Mordechai 02-16-2006 11:58 AM

If I were able to use it in Linux, I'd say TopStyle Pro. But, alas...

I tried Quantro and found it lacking. Tried Bluefish and Screem. I'm back with Quantro.

KimVette 02-16-2006 01:42 PM

TopStyle Pro runs very, very well under wine. :)

garion 02-16-2006 04:29 PM

Seems like the Bluefish users think that you **have to** develop WYSIWYG when using Quanta+ otherwise they wouldn't have made the comments they did. Quanta allows you to develop both in code (not just HTML, but PHP, perl, even straight text) as well as WYSIWYG. Quanta+ has so many more useful features that there are only two reason not to use it:

1. You haven't seen all of the features.
2. You are so used to something else that you don't want to spend the time learning Quanta+.

If you look at it in terms of ease of use, number of very useful features and extensibility it is really had to see what someone would want to use anything else.

Jaxn 02-16-2006 06:11 PM

Emacs? Where is Emacs???

pyrosim 02-17-2006 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimVette
FYI Quanta uses Kate as its editor, but adds a LOT more memu options for text manipulation. The only thing that Kate/Quanta is missing that I REALLY need is macros.

Cool! I had not used quanta before, and did not know that it used kate-part. I will check it out. About the macros though... it will happen eventually... hopefully.

scuzzman 02-17-2006 04:55 AM

Quanta is my current editor of choice. Though, I usually use straight HTML (no PHP, CSS, etc) so I simply use Kate.

robeartoesart 02-17-2006 09:36 AM

Quanta all the way.

darthtux 02-19-2006 05:54 AM

I've tried them all and it's still Vim. Vim. Vim. :p

garion 02-19-2006 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimVette
FYI Quanta uses Kate as its editor, but adds a LOT more memu options for text manipulation. The only thing that Kate/Quanta is missing that I REALLY need is macros.

What do you mean by "macro". I am not trying to be pendantic here, it's just that the term "macro" often has different meanings in different contexts. I can create an Action that inputs text blocks, wraps selected text around the selected text, sends the selected text or the whole file through an external script (i.e.perl) and the replaces the selection with the output of the script and so forth.

What is it that you want to do?

KimVette 02-19-2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garion
What do you mean by "macro". I am not trying to be pendantic here, it's just that the term "macro" often has different meanings in different contexts. I can create an Action that inputs text blocks, wraps selected text around the selected text, sends the selected text or the whole file through an external script (i.e.perl) and the replaces the selection with the output of the script and so forth.

What is it that you want to do?

I'm talking about a playback/record feature. Being able to script an action (which technically is a macro, but not in the classic application sense) is fine and all, but it's so time consuming in comparison to TextPad's recording of a couple of actions, then you can go back and edit it to tweak it if you like, and then you can run it against the selection, play through to the end of file, or repeat (n) number of times. All without wasting time writing the skeleton of the script.

In some cases scripting is by far the superior solution,but when it comes to macros, which are intended to save time, having to stop and write code to manipulate your code (or tabular data, or whatever) is idiotic as coding the macro by hand can often take longer than simply editing the text by hand.

amantia 02-21-2006 01:09 PM

Macros
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrosim
Cool! I had not used quanta before, and did not know that it used kate-part. I will check it out. About the macros though... it will happen eventually... hopefully.

What do you mean about macros? Quanta supports code snippets in a various way (actions or abbreviations). If you talk about scriptability, then you can write scripts to modify the content of the document(s) with the DCOP interfaces provided by Quanta and the Kate part.

amantia 02-21-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimVette
I'm talking about a playback/record feature. Being able to script an action (which technically is a macro, but not in the classic application sense) is fine and all, but it's so time consuming in comparison to TextPad's recording of a couple of actions, then you can go back and edit it to tweak it if you like, and then you can run it against the selection, play through to the end of file, or repeat (n) number of times. All without wasting time writing the skeleton of the script.

I don't know about such feature in whole KDE and I believe this should not be application specific, but something provided by the base libraries.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.