LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #46
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luridis View Post
No, because the X developers are depreciating it. They understand it and why this is necessary.

Now, what I find funny is that anyone who would threaten to fork and keep it alive is doomed to fail. Why? Because it's difficult and few people understand X's inner workings as-is. What is funny is that the minute they begin to understand how to maintain it, they'll see exactly why it needs to be replaced. As for the BSD developers... They're better than most and I suspect it wouldn't take them long to estimate that it is better to leave sleeping dogs lie in the case of X11. Certainly, none of their business clients are interested in at as the Tzien developer so eloquently pointed out in the video I linked.
So, then, what's your feeling or best guess then? Clearer, how many years will BSD keep X11 still?
 
Old 07-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #47
Luridis
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Distribution: LFS 8.0 Custom, Merged Usr, Linux 4.9.35
Posts: 472

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
Depends on how long it takes for the Wayland ecosystem to develop. It's slow because things work differently. Qt & Gtk are well underway to tooling support for it. But, there is another angle to this, the back-end is changing too, and also for good reasons.
Code:
Current: Kernel Interface -> OpenGL -> Mesa -> X11 -> Widgets -> Desktop
Future : Kernel Interface -> Vulkan -> Mesa -> Wayland -> Widgets -> Desktop
                                                        \ XWayland -> Old Apps
But Vulkan is also well underway. Game developers for one, are very excited about it. It removes all that unnecessary code in GL that is not needed in a GPU world. OpenGL was not designed for modern hardware interfaces and it just adds extra steps to getting instructions from application to the GPGPUs.

If we don't get all this done within a decade we'll find ourselves in a quagmire of jury-rigged APIs.
 
Old 07-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #48
Luridis
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Distribution: LFS 8.0 Custom, Merged Usr, Linux 4.9.35
Posts: 472

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
Here Xeratul, I dug this up just for you. Proof that Motif apps can still run in a Wayland world without running X11 as the primary display server.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...d-1619051.html

(Note: I've done this myself under Weston. X apps run fine, better if you count the fact that they no longer tear and accordion.)

Last edited by Luridis; 07-28-2017 at 09:25 AM.
 
Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #49
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luridis View Post
Here Xeratul, I dug this up just for you. Proof that Motif apps can still run in a Wayland world without running X11 as the primary display server.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...d-1619051.html

(Note: I've done this myself under Weston. X apps run fine, better if you count the fact that they no longer tear and accordion.)
I don't believe all X11 software on X/Intrinsic will die.
Wayland says that they wont support X11 long, just a early beginning. And then you have a serious issue houston.
 
Old 07-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #50
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,967
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luridis View Post
Is the subject going to change to that controversial program? I'd like to know so I can unsubscribe the thread if that's the case.
No, this is the *BSD section, we generally don't discuss Linux here.
 
Old 07-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #51
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
We just talk about BSD and its future.

Hopefully libX11-dev will be always there, despite XWayland will take over ...
 
Old 07-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #52
Luridis
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Distribution: LFS 8.0 Custom, Merged Usr, Linux 4.9.35
Posts: 472

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
We just talk about BSD and its future.

Hopefully libX11-dev will be always there, despite XWayland will take over ...
I'm sure some incarnation of it will be... After all, there are still cars around that use leaded gasoline. Later, people realized this was a poor design, in spite of the fact that it worked fine. Thankfully, DC-to-the-house didn't have hangers-on "because it works". But, that's what happens when being functional is all that is required to consider something designed well. As they say, a low bar is always socially acceptable.

Last edited by Luridis; 07-30-2017 at 06:22 PM.
 
Old 07-31-2017, 02:41 AM   #53
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luridis View Post
I'm sure some incarnation of it will be... After all, there are still cars around that use leaded gasoline. ...

Do you think that this code will always be there and working on FreeBSD ???
Openmotif-Simple-Example-Card
Programming is good and helpful, and I like that something readily works.
I am kinda sure that in 5-10 years, this library Motif/Intrinsic/X11 will not be so much maintained or no longer. This is terrible with graphics. All go to waste. Even Unix X11 MIT historical library can die forever anytime.

Libs for programming:
Graphic: trust no one.
Term: just trust termcap and ncurses.
Base: just trust few base only: stdio,string,stdlib,...
 
Old 07-31-2017, 03:46 AM   #54
Luridis
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Distribution: LFS 8.0 Custom, Merged Usr, Linux 4.9.35
Posts: 472

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
Do you think that this code will always be there and working on FreeBSD ???
Openmotif-Simple-Example-Card
Programming is good and helpful, and I like that something readily works.
I am kinda sure that in 5-10 years, this library Motif/Intrinsic/X11 will not be so much maintained or no longer. This is terrible with graphics. All go to waste. Even Unix X11 MIT historical library can die forever anytime.

Libs for programming:
Graphic: trust no one.
Term: just trust termcap and ncurses.
Base: just trust few base only: stdio,string,stdlib,...
Hey, I had a screen that looked like that at one time. Unfortunately, my Commodore 64 is long dead.
 
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 AM   #55
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luridis View Post
Hey, I had a screen that looked like that at one time. Unfortunately, my Commodore 64 is long dead.
Motif looks like original Unix systems. Maybe you already see a SUN station Unix with Motif?

Do you think that Blackbox will be maintained and ported to XWayland or Wayland when it replaces X11?
 
Old 08-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #56
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,967
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010Reputation: 1010
Blackbox last released 11 years ago.

Fluxbox, it's descendant, last released two years ago, but has seen little development in recent times because it's pretty much "finished" (unless someone decides to restart development and go full on "dancing baloney").

This software can survive as FreeBSD ports, providing someone is willing to step up and maintain it.
 
Old 08-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #57
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Blackbox last released 11 years ago.

Fluxbox, it's descendant, last released two years ago, but has seen little development in recent times because it's pretty much "finished" (unless someone decides to restart development and go full on "dancing baloney").

This software can survive as FreeBSD ports, providing someone is willing to step up and maintain it.
What to do then, if one would like to keep UNIX original software??
They'll die, but users still want them.
 
Old 08-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #58
jggimi
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2016
Distribution: None. Just OpenBSD.
Posts: 103

Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
... last released ...
I thought it would be interesting to see when the last development patches had been committed. Blackbox - 9 years. Fluxbox - 5 months.
 
Old 08-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #59
Xeratul
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: UNIX
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,357

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 213Reputation: 213Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I thought it would be interesting to see when the last development patches had been committed. Blackbox - 9 years. Fluxbox - 5 months.
Same of Motif. Who really care about origin of Unix / non-gui terminal ...? Not many people.

Usuually, everyone prefer nice and shinning graphical applications.
Ex: https://www.slideshare.net/ICSinc/po...binar-76777857
 
Old 08-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #60
jggimi
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2016
Distribution: None. Just OpenBSD.
Posts: 103

Rep: Reputation: 37
Motif is different, because there is commercial support (ICS) tied to this OSS project. A quick look shows that the project last had a release in March of 2017 (2.3.7) on sf.net but ICS -- who operate the official project website -- is marketing version 2.3.4.

Last edited by jggimi; 08-01-2017 at 06:57 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] /usr/bin/X11/X11/....... 10 X11 subsets & counting walter74 Linux - General 2 06-07-2015 01:36 AM
LXer: What the future holds for PC-BSD LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-07-2013 06:51 PM
Future of Linux, Future of BSD ? tarballed Linux - General 28 01-01-2012 05:04 PM
PC BSD, Open BSD, or Free BSD ? Alexvader *BSD 5 02-08-2010 01:40 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration