LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2018, 05:04 AM   #1
DavidtheGeek
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2018
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Is Oracle Solaris more difficult to use and configure than the BSDs?


Hello, I know very little about Solaris.

The subject line sayas it all.

Thanks
 
Old 09-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 / Slackware 14.2 current / Manjaro / Parrot
Posts: 6,943

Rep: Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400
I actually almost talk myself into installing it again yesterday.

Solaris, is not Linux, or BSD. in other words free software and codecs for it are very few, and hard to find. It takes a lot longer to shut down, if you get in a hurry and it is installed on a laptop. Like me.

Looks nice though, it takes up your system as if it is MicroSoft, that is to say it thinks it is special and it is the only OS you need, so its not designed for easy dual booting setup, if you're into that sort of thing.

Using the docs for it in what commands to do what, as some are different is not that hard.

if you can install it on a VM and check it out first. I'd do that first before committing to it for an install onto a hdd.

that is my thoughts on it at the moment.

Last edited by BW-userx; 09-29-2018 at 08:16 AM.
 
Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #3
DavidtheGeek
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2018
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
I actually almost talk myself into installing it again yesterday.

Solaris, is not Linux, or BSD. in other words free software and codecs for it are very few, and hard to find. It takes a lot longer to shut down, if you get in a hurry and it is installed on a laptop. Like me.

Looks nice though, it takes up your system as if it is MicroSoft, that is to say it thinks it is special and it is the only OS you need, so its not designed for easy dual booting setup, if you're into that sort of thing.

Using the docs for it in what commands to do what, as some are different is not that hard.

if you can install it on a VM and check it out first. I'd do that first before committing to it for an install onto a hdd.

that is my thoughts on it at the moment.

I think I will skip solaris as it's not as intuitive to use as a desktop like linux is.

Solaris would become boring if I can't do much with it as a desktop. Solaris was meant for enterprise server solutions anyway. I think I will stick with linux as my main operating system.

Thanks
 
Old 09-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 / Slackware 14.2 current / Manjaro / Parrot
Posts: 6,943

Rep: Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidtheGeek View Post
I think I will skip solaris as it's not as intuitive to use as a desktop like linux is.

Solaris would become boring if I can't do much with it as a desktop. Solaris was meant for enterprise server solutions anyway. I think I will stick with linux as my main operating system.

Thanks
and this 11.4 from 10.x it is very notice-ably slower, like a turtle with three legs slow. I installed it to vbox yesterday and it took over three tries, and each try, I did not put a timer to it, but booting it after installed finished. its just a lot slower then 10.x was.

It is more for a server then anything else. they even removed the desktop to the install, it is now a post add on.
if you have time to just install different OS'es just to see what you see, is not a bad thing, and staying with Linux is not a bad idea either.
 
Old 09-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
DavidtheGeek
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2018
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
and this 11.4 from 10.x it is very notice-ably slower, like a turtle with three legs slow. I installed it to vbox yesterday and it took over three tries, and each try, I did not put a timer to it, but booting it after installed finished. its just a lot slower then 10.x was.

It is more for a server then anything else. they even removed the desktop to the install, it is now a post add on.
if you have time to just install different OS'es just to see what you see, is not a bad thing, and staying with Linux is not a bad idea either.
Linux is and always be my main OS. Thanks
 
Old 09-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 / Slackware 14.2 current / Manjaro / Parrot
Posts: 6,943

Rep: Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400
NP
 
Old 10-01-2018, 05:06 AM   #7
YesItsMe
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 421

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
Oracle Solaris has degraded a lot. The free Solaris...es are actually nice though, even considering desktop usage.
Dedoimedo tested the OpenIndiana flavor a while ago.
 
Old 10-01-2018, 06:20 AM   #8
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Hiding somewhere on planet Earth.
Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system
Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
It is more for a server then anything else. they even removed the desktop to the install, it is now a post add on.
That is not a very good criterion to judge whether or not an OS is primarily meant for servers. It is the norm with the BSDs and at least one Linux distribution (Debian) can be installed that way. The purpose is to let users set up the OS for different uses: server, desktop, e-mail client, etc.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #9
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 / Slackware 14.2 current / Manjaro / Parrot
Posts: 6,943

Rep: Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
That is not a very good criterion to judge whether or not an OS is primarily meant for servers. It is the norm with the BSDs and at least one Linux distribution (Debian) can be installed that way. The purpose is to let users set up the OS for different uses: server, desktop, e-mail client, etc.
it is an inanimate 'object' I can judge it how ever I please right or wrong. it is my option, but a person, Don't judge according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment."

they are all servers Linux, Solaris, BSD, IBM stuff.. dummy terminals were a thing ... ttys .. hum.... why it still got tty's to provided a service to dummy terminals.

http://www.linfo.org/dumb_terminal.html

Last edited by BW-userx; 10-01-2018 at 06:34 AM.
 
Old 10-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #10
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Hiding somewhere on planet Earth.
Distribution: No distribution. OpenBSD operating system
Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
it is an inanimate 'object' I can judge it how ever I please right or wrong.
Why would you want to judge things wrongly? Most people judge things on their merits. If they discover their opinions are inaccurate, based on ignorance, based on erroneous information, etc., they adjust their opinions accordingly. "Right or wrong this is my opinion and I'll share it with others regardless if it is right, wrong, good or bad" does not leave room for discussion, does it?

Quote:
it is my option, but a person, Don't judge according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment."
I cannot decipher the meaning. Something must have been lost in translation.

Quote:
why it still got tty's to provided a service to dummy terminals.
I imagine such set-ups can still be found in some work environments. That brings us back to the point of allowing users to set up their systems for their needs, not mine, yours or the next door neighbour's. Your argument could be extended by typical computer user to claim that the presence of a terminal indicates a server system, because desktop users do not need terminals.
 
Old 10-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #11
fatmac
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey/Hants Border, UK
Posts: 2,639

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
When I tried Open Solaris, (twice, years apart), I found the command line rather long winded, especially when trying to mount external disks. That to me, suggests that it is very much server orientated, setup once & just run it.

You will find the BSDs much more Linux like regarding that sort of thing, & can make a very good laptop or desktop system, as well as being a server.

Last edited by fatmac; 10-01-2018 at 08:09 AM.
 
Old 10-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #12
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 / Slackware 14.2 current / Manjaro / Parrot
Posts: 6,943

Rep: Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
Why would you want to judge things wrongly? Most people judge things on their merits. If they discover their opinions are inaccurate, based on ignorance, based on erroneous information, etc., they adjust their opinions accordingly. "Right or wrong this is my opinion and I'll share it with others regardless if it is right, wrong, good or bad" does not leave room for discussion, does it?

I cannot decipher the meaning. Something must have been lost in translation.

I imagine such set-ups can still be found in some work environments. That brings us back to the point of allowing users to set up their systems for their needs, not mine, yours or the next door neighbour's. Your argument could be extended by typical computer user to claim that the presence of a terminal indicates a server system, because desktop users do not need terminals.
ignornate or not, Solaris is more server, to the point they even removed the desktop to version 11.4 if you want to run it as a desktop knock yourself out. it cannot do much of anything anyways, no video, etc.. it is more for a server then not. that is my educated option.

it is a Unix based OS . so yeah it is meant to be a server, just like Linux, and all of these other ones, WINDOWS (and Apples) on the other hand is meant to be a desktop. they even have a Windows server to separate the two.

what came first the server or the desktop computer?

figure it out.

yet even Windows has it dos box command line, similar to a terminal. so what now?

Last edited by BW-userx; 10-01-2018 at 08:22 AM.
 
Old 10-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #13
YesItsMe
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 421

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
what came first the server or the desktop computer?
The mainframe.
 
Old 10-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #14
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: MID-SOUTH USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 / Slackware 14.2 current / Manjaro / Parrot
Posts: 6,943

Rep: Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesItsMe View Post
The mainframe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by googled it
main·frame
ˈmānˌfrām/
noun
noun: mainframe; plural noun: mainframes

1.
a large high-speed computer, especially one supporting numerous workstations or peripherals.
2.
the central processing unit and primary memory of a computer.
oh yeah forgot about that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semantics
Mainframes are typically built by IBM and usually run z/OS. A server (when referred to in the hardware sense) is a PC with higher reliability / quality parts and runs usually a *NIX variant, or Windows Server. Mainframes can run software services, such as JEE application servers, web servers, etc.
 
Old 10-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #15
YesItsMe
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2014
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 421

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
Even the PDPs where Unix was developed were mainframes.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Is bluetooth difficult to configure in Linux? linuzfreak Linux - Hardware 7 04-29-2014 02:02 PM
Why is it so damn difficult to build some SW in Solaris...? :( Alexvader Solaris / OpenSolaris 10 02-27-2011 05:22 PM
need to configure autostart of oracle database and oracle soa suite on linux bootup sumit.tambekar Linux - Newbie 2 01-24-2011 07:35 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration