How to replace fire fox 188.8.131.52 with fire fox2 in mepis 6.0
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Get a virtual cloud desktop with the Linux distro that you want in less than five minutes with Shells! With over 10 pre-installed distros to choose from, the worry-free installation life is here! Whether you are a digital nomad or just looking for flexibility, Shells can put your Linux machine on the device that you want to use.
Exclusive for LQ members, get up to 45% off per month. Click here for more info.
By Anonymous at 2007-02-19 13:00
several steps to replace the stock fire fox web browser in MEPIS 6.0.-3.
3. Open a terminal window and select session start new root (super user) terminal
4. Issue the command mkdir /usr/lib/firfox2 which will make a new folder under /usr/lib/ named firefox2.
5. Now click on the Kde menue and select logout.
6. Once the splash screen appears highlight th eroot account and input your root password.
7. once loged in as root navigate to the desktop of the regular user on who's account you untared the original tar archive.
8. open you have found the file click on itr and high light the sub directory named firefox.
9. Once the folder is opened go up to the edit menu an highlight selections> select all (or ctrl+a.
10 Then return to the same menu and select move to which will cause a popup window to apera asking you were you desire to relocate the files to.
11. In the destination section type the absolute path of the directory made in step #4.
12. Navigate to the plugins subdirectory of the original firefox install and ctrl+a to select all and then goo up to edit > move files and in put the absolute directory path of the new plugins directory /usr/lib/firefox2/plugins and hit enter.
13. Your almost there, Now all you need to do is change the directory path in every short cuts as follows '/usr/lib/firefox2/firefox' ( you mus have the exicutable path in singular quotes or it will not work.
14. Optional step. Kdemenu >> System configuration > Kde components > component chooser > web browser > in the following browser again make sure tio make the path absolute by encapsulating the executable path with singular quotes.