LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Zenwalk
User Name
Password
Zenwalk This forum is for the discussion of Zenwalk Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #31
DotHQ
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio, USA
Distribution: Red Hat, Fedora, Knoppix,
Posts: 542

Rep: Reputation: 33

I've used various Unix's and now Linux. Mainly RH / Fedora. What could zenwalk offer me that RH does not do well ....or what advantages does zenwalk have that would prompt me to install it.
 
Old 09-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #32
jpgu
Zenwalk Creator
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Nantes , France
Distribution: Zenwalk
Posts: 19

Rep: Reputation: 0
Code:
Why didnt they develop this zenwalk as like other distros yes may be i am talking about the GUI installers or any other thing which might be missing??
> Just becoz zenwalk should be less is space (MB)
OR
>Developers dont wish to provide it.
OR
>Do developers things its useless .
OR
>Developers thinking that making zenwalk more eye catching and iteractive will cause more overhead to them???

I ask apolozies if any one got annoyed by this post, as i am just curious to know.
Well, Zenwalk is probably one of the most eye-candy GNU/Linux OS around. You will notice the desktop integration, the icon theme uniformity between apps, artwork homogeneity between the boot manager prompt, the boot splash, the Gdm greeter, and desktop theme... as soon as you install it.

This said, Zenwalk provides a graphical ncurses based installation wizard. We believe that it's a very reliable system, because video independant. Of course the video card, network, sound card, and other devices are autoconfigured during the installation process, as well as other little things like numlock.

An Xwindow based installer is useless, yes, really, and can only give you troubles on some machines. The install program is intended to be used only once, so you shouldn't worry about it (I find it lovely btw, it looks more professional than a pink poney

Another example of something that Zenwalk does differently from other Linux systems : removable devices automount is not based on HAL, which is known to be buggy and slow. We do it at low level, with udev... Everything in Zenwalk is designed toward simplicity, reliability and performance !

In Zenwalk, most of system administration tools provide GTK guis, I really believe that you will enjoy its ease of use, and unbeatable speed.

Wait 2 days for Zenwalk 3.0 to be available

Have fun

JP
 
Old 09-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #33
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,043

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotHQ
I've used various Unix's and now Linux. Mainly RH / Fedora. What could zenwalk offer me that RH does not do well ....or what advantages does zenwalk have that would prompt me to install it.
If anything I would say speed and the community. Zenwalk has a great community for support. That was one of the things that made me switch over. That and I loved slackware but needed a good distro for my laptop. Zenwalk was the answer. Just like slackware but has the 2.6 kernel installed by defualt.
 
Old 09-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #34
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,043

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgu
Code:
Why didnt they develop this zenwalk as like other distros yes may be i am talking about the GUI installers or any other thing which might be missing??
> Just becoz zenwalk should be less is space (MB)
OR
>Developers dont wish to provide it.
OR
>Do developers things its useless .
OR
>Developers thinking that making zenwalk more eye catching and iteractive will cause more overhead to them???

I ask apolozies if any one got annoyed by this post, as i am just curious to know.
Well, Zenwalk is probably one of the most eye-candy GNU/Linux OS around. You will notice the desktop integration, the icon theme uniformity between apps, artwork homogeneity between the boot manager prompt, the boot splash, the Gdm greeter, and desktop theme... as soon as you install it.

This said, Zenwalk provides a graphical ncurses based installation wizard. We believe that it's a very reliable system, because video independant. Of course the video card, network, sound card, and other devices are autoconfigured during the installation process, as well as other little things like numlock.

An Xwindow based installer is useless, yes, really, and can only give you troubles on some machines. The install program is intended to be used only once, so you shouldn't worry about it (I find it lovely btw, it looks more professional than a pink poney

Another example of something that Zenwalk does differently from other Linux systems : removable devices automount is not based on HAL, which is known to be buggy and slow. We do it at low level, with udev... Everything in Zenwalk is designed toward simplicity, reliability and performance !

In Zenwalk, most of system administration tools provide GTK guis, I really believe that you will enjoy its ease of use, and unbeatable speed.

Wait 2 days for Zenwalk 3.0 to be available

Have fun

JP
Sweet. So you guys use the GTK tool kit. I was wondering what most people used for a user interface for languages such as C/C++. Now I know.
 
Old 09-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #35
guth
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: France
Distribution: Zenwalk
Posts: 132

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens84
Sweet. So you guys use the GTK tool kit. I was wondering what most people used for a user interface for languages such as C/C++. Now I know.
in fact most of Zenwalk specific tools are in bash script, because (mostly):
- no/few dependance(s)
- easier to modify configuration file
 
Old 09-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #36
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,043

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by guth
in fact most of Zenwalk specific tools are in bash script, because (mostly):
- no/few dependance(s)
- easier to modify configuration file
Really. I seen a book on bash scripting but was not sure If I could do the things that c++ can do. What all do you guys use bash scripting for in Zenwalk. for example was your netconfig program written in C or in bash.
 
Old 09-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #37
guth
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: France
Distribution: Zenwalk
Posts: 132

Rep: Reputation: 15
Code:
guth[~]$ head -1 /usr/sbin/*config |grep -av ELF
==> /usr/sbin/keyboardconfig <==
#!/bin/bash
==> /usr/sbin/localeconfig <==
#!/bin/bash
==> /usr/sbin/mouseconfig <==
#!/bin/sh
==> /usr/sbin/networkconfig <==
#!/bin/bash
==> /usr/sbin/serviceconfig <==
#!/bin/sh
==> /usr/sbin/shadowconfig <==
#!/bin/bash
==> /usr/sbin/timeconfig <==
#!/bin/sh
==> /usr/sbin/userconfig <==
#!/bin/bash
==> /usr/sbin/videoconfig <==
#!/bin/bash
at least those

But C/C++ is a lot more powerfull for a lot of other things.
Scripting is good for configuration/files small modifications, administration ...
C/C++/java/.... are more for applications coding... (servers, big GUIs, games, ....)

Each (type of) language has its + and -, all depend of what you want to do....
 
Old 09-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #38
DrAxeman
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: State of Confusion
Distribution: My other OS is your Solaris box.
Posts: 84

Rep: Reputation: 15
Just your friendly neighborhood geek with a really stupid question...

I saw the notice about this new distro on the LQ homepage and thought I'd stop in.

My first thought was that Zenwalk was referring to itself being a Xen friendly distro... I know understand the the Zen reference is about state of mind.

However, I still should ask: How Xen friendly is Zenwalk?

Thanks,
 
Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #39
coolguy_2005
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: india
Distribution: zenwalk,suse,mandriva
Posts: 56

Rep: Reputation: 15
Well thanks for your valuable information about my doubt Mr. JPGU (Zenwalk creator)

As your saying that zenwalk box has more amazing things inside than from outside, i am sure i wish to give it a try now.
Well i have another doubt here, can any body who have used fedora/suse/mandriva and also zenwalk, can you please explain me how those two distros differ eachother.
And what are the advantages of using zenwalk.

Again its a curious question.
Thanks
 
Old 09-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #40
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,043

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy_2005
Well thanks for your valuable information about my doubt Mr. JPGU (Zenwalk creator)

As your saying that zenwalk box has more amazing things inside than from outside, i am sure i wish to give it a try now.
Well i have another doubt here, can any body who have used fedora/suse/mandriva and also zenwalk, can you please explain me how those two distros differ eachother.
And what are the advantages of using zenwalk.

Again its a curious question.
Thanks
Fedora is not a bad distro but to me it seems like it hides things from you. When I say hide I mean everything has a gui wizard. Also I had speed issues with Fedora and Mandriva.

Don't take this the wrong way but we can sit here all day long and talk about the good parts of Zenwalk till we're all blue in the face. Every person has their own expectations from software and everyone has their own personal distro. Mine is Slackware and Zenwalk. Yours may be something else. I think the best bet would be just to go ahead install it and make your own decision. I did that for fedora, Zenwalk, Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, Mandriva, Gentoo, and Arch linux.
 
Old 09-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #41
AxXium
Zenwalk Admin
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Louisiana, U.S.A.
Distribution: Zenwalk Gnu/Linux
Posts: 258

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy_2005
Well thanks for your valuable information about my doubt Mr. JPGU (Zenwalk creator)

As your saying that zenwalk box has more amazing things inside than from outside, i am sure i wish to give it a try now.
Well i have another doubt here, can any body who have used fedora/suse/mandriva and also zenwalk, can you please explain me how those two distros differ eachother.
And what are the advantages of using zenwalk.

Again its a curious question.
Thanks
I have tried many, many distros including the ones you have mentioned and some you probably never heard of.

Zenwalk is the only Linux group that I wanted to be part of. Others never felt so close to home. Every RPM based distro was slow and terrble to customize and maintain. I felt helpless to a slow moving beast of a distro. Gentoo was amazaing, a great ride and I do not regret trying it. Slackware is really cool but feels dusty and dark.

Zenwalk is indescribable. It perfect IMHO. What do you expect me to say. I love it so much that I asked to be part of it. My love only continues to grow day by day. I never felt this way about software. No I'm not mentally ill with a PC fetish. Zenwalk is a terrific group of people surrounding the software. Once you try it and join the forums, you'll know what I mean.

-Michael
 
Old 09-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #42
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,043

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxXium
I have tried many, many distros including the ones you have mentioned and some you probably never heard of.

Zenwalk is the only Linux group that I wanted to be part of. Others never felt so close to home. Every RPM based distro was slow and terrble to customize and maintain. I felt helpless to a slow moving beast of a distro. Gentoo was amazaing, a great ride and I do not regret trying it. Slackware is really cool but feels dusty and dark.

Zenwalk is indescribable. It perfect IMHO. What do you expect me to say. I love it so much that I asked to be part of it. My love only continues to grow day by day. I never felt this way about software. No I'm not mentally ill with a PC fetish. Zenwalk is a terrific group of people surrounding the software. Once you try it and join the forums, you'll know what I mean.

-Michael
Well said!!!!
 
Old 09-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #43
guth
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: France
Distribution: Zenwalk
Posts: 132

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAxeman
Just your friendly neighborhood geek with a really stupid question...

I saw the notice about this new distro on the LQ homepage and thought I'd stop in.

My first thought was that Zenwalk was referring to itself being a Xen friendly distro... I know understand the the Zen reference is about state of mind.

However, I still should ask: How Xen friendly is Zenwalk?

Thanks,
I don't heard anyone trying to use zenwalk with Xen. But if you do so, please tell us the result of your experiments ... if i had more time i think i'd already try.
 
Old 09-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #44
coolguy_2005
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: india
Distribution: zenwalk,suse,mandriva
Posts: 56

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hey thanks for your opinion MR Admin. Well i am sure of installing it now. Since every body is tlkin alot of about zenwalk, that impresses me to give it a shot now . Very well Axxium you tlked about the people involving in this zenwalk community either a developer or user. I just want to know who are these developers and are they working for bigger companies like novel or sun or any other and one more thing i always wanted to ask is these developers spend lot of time in developing these stuffsm yes they are great people. cheers to those . But i got my zenwalk copy as free i mean i downloaded it off net and these developers though spending lot of time and atlast they sell their work for free, but what i am thinking is how these developers are getting benefited if they keep selling their product for free to every one, yes i know that some people will donate some money but i dont think thats enough for them and for their valuable contributions as well as their beautiful minds.
Again a curious questions about an opensource developer
Thanks.
cheers to all of you people.
 
Old 09-09-2006, 01:42 AM   #45
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,043

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy_2005
Hey thanks for your opinion MR Admin. Well i am sure of installing it now. Since every body is tlkin alot of about zenwalk, that impresses me to give it a shot now . Very well Axxium you tlked about the people involving in this zenwalk community either a developer or user. I just want to know who are these developers and are they working for bigger companies like novel or sun or any other and one more thing i always wanted to ask is these developers spend lot of time in developing these stuffsm yes they are great people. cheers to those . But i got my zenwalk copy as free i mean i downloaded it off net and these developers though spending lot of time and atlast they sell their work for free, but what i am thinking is how these developers are getting benefited if they keep selling their product for free to every one, yes i know that some people will donate some money but i dont think thats enough for them and for their valuable contributions as well as their beautiful minds.
Again a curious questions about an opensource developer
Thanks.
cheers to all of you people.
The developers do this to give back. I am currently trying to get into developement. Currently I just want to be a software tester but then I will move into Development. My reason is simply I have used linux for a while and taken alot (mostly information) but I want to give back. That is what makes open source software so powerful. Why must everything some people do must benifit them? Just to let you know I don't work at Novell, or Sun, but work as a Systems Analysts at a Casino.
 
  


Reply

Tags
zenwalk


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there as good Linux programming forum as LQ forum? kornerr LQ Suggestions & Feedback 5 04-29-2007 03:22 AM
chance for a Zenwalk forum. jstephens84 LQ Suggestions & Feedback 6 08-24-2006 10:03 AM
Linux - Programming Forum , Linux - Tweaks Forum .. is it a bad idea ??? UsualTuxpect LQ Suggestions & Feedback 7 01-16-2006 03:33 AM
LXer: Review: Zenwalk Linux 2.0.1 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-30-2005 07:31 AM
zenwalk linux on toshiba satellite 3000 x4 laptop jimjamjahaa Linux - Laptop and Netbook 0 12-22-2005 08:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration