LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Zenwalk
User Name
Password
Zenwalk This forum is for the discussion of Zenwalk Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #16
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,054

Rep: Reputation: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxXium
Linux skills come with time and work. The fastest way to sharpen those skills is to throw fear out the window. A computer is a machine. Try to break it and then fix it, hehe. Volunteering for testing, reading forum posts and building software packages is where I got my start. Also, I find that I actually learn things by helping others.

You can learn to build packages from the information pages at our latest website http://users.zenwalk.org where we have listed howtos, package rules and other goodies. If your interested in building or have already built packages, email me for an FTP account and submit them. That may be the chance to get your foot in the door.

As far as games go, I run the gaming site. I am in the process of moving my Zenwalk Linux gaming site http://www.zengamer.tuxfamily.org/ to a new site http://tuxgames.net/index.php

The reason for the move is that I can host several distros to create a "Linux" gaming site offering game packages and information to as many distros as possible. Remember, not all distros have major game repositories and we actually have games that Debian doesn't have because they do not have a "D" comppiler. (I read their public gaming mailing list)



AxXium
I just printed out some things from the tuxgames website. I am currently learning C++. What else should I learn to help contribute to Zenwalk and your website www.tuxgames.net. I would like to start out by building a zenwalk rt61 wireless module. I saw on your website that you already have rt2500
 
Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #17
1dude1
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
Distribution: hda1= swap hda2=gentoo hda3=music hda4=slackware10.2
Posts: 101

Rep: Reputation: 15
ok i was just wondering what kind of package manager this distro had becaue i read on the site that it said network managment tool. so i was wondering if maybe it was like portage... and also i was wondering how light weight this distro really is because ubuntu people like but it is not high performance enough for me so if you could tell me on a scall from 1 to 10 (1 being ubuntu speed (breezy badger) and 10 being gentoo and 8 being slackware) that would be great.
 
Old 09-05-2006, 08:00 AM   #18
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,054

Rep: Reputation: 83
I would rate it about a 6 but that is becuase I am using it with a lot of programs. As for the package manager you would use netpkg or if you downloaded a package from linuxpackages.net you would use pkgtool for .tgz
 
Old 09-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #19
coolguy_2005
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: india
Distribution: zenwalk,suse,mandriva
Posts: 56

Rep: Reputation: 15
well yes doing all those things is pritty easy tho, but it would be better if it had a good gui installer like other distro, which will attract users. well i didnt gave up jst coz of gui stuffs but i already have mandriva and suse installed and working awsome. So planned to install it some time later. But still lost first impression when compared to other eye catching distros.
 
Old 09-05-2006, 01:31 PM   #20
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,054

Rep: Reputation: 83
I guess I can see your point. If it is not easy then most users won't give it a try. By easy I mean installation at this point. But I am one who is open to anything and I guess that is how one should be if using linux. Open to trying any idea at least once.
 
Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #21
k9bud
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: Mooresville, IN
Distribution: Mandriva 2007 Official
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
I am curious about Zenwalk, how well it might meet my needs on this Compaq Presario V5201US with a broadcom 4318, Air Force One internal wirelss? I am currently running Mandriva 2006.0, which I don't have support for suspend and power save. I tried Fedora Core 5, which took care of that problem, but I couldn't get the ndiswrapper working to use the Broadcom 4318. Does Zenwalk come with source files so you can compile drivers, such as the driver for the Zydas 1211 chipsets, which I might add works quite well on Mandriva 2006.0. I don't consider myself a newbie, but neither am I an expert. Just curious, Jim
 
Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #22
infiniphunk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Thunder Bay ON
Distribution: Slackware,Zenwalk,Ubuntu
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: 0
Nice to see Zenwalk get on this forum! I've been using Zenwalk as my primary desktop for a while and think its great!

Cheers!

Seti aka Jerome
 
Old 09-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #23
AxXium
Zenwalk Admin
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Louisiana, U.S.A.
Distribution: Zenwalk Gnu/Linux
Posts: 258

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens84
I just printed out some things from the tuxgames website. I am currently learning C++. What else should I learn to help contribute to Zenwalk and your website www.tuxgames.net. I would like to start out by building a zenwalk rt61 wireless module. I saw on your website that you already have rt2500
You only need to understand the very bacics of BASH. C++ is not needed to package games.

We have written a few things in C and Perl, but for the most part BASH is the most widely used.

If you want to build games, contact me from the list at TuxGames. To build any other packages contact us at ZenCommunity.

TuxGames: http://tuxgames.net/index.php
ZenCommunity: http://users.zenwalk.org/



-Michael
 
Old 09-06-2006, 08:28 AM   #24
AxXium
Zenwalk Admin
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Louisiana, U.S.A.
Distribution: Zenwalk Gnu/Linux
Posts: 258

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy_2005
Well i lost my fist impression about zenwalk flavor when i tried to install it on my system since it didnt had any eye catching GUI support for intallation process like suse or mandriva supports, so i didnt installed the os at all.
I think developers should provide agud gui for zenwalk to make it more interesting to use as well as attractive.
No offense, but that is the silliest thing I've heard in a long time. Would you turn down a box filled with money if there was no pictures on the box? We have an online installation guide with pictures. Our entire installation process takes 20 mins and is the easiest I've see in quite some time. SuSE and Mandriva have much more confusing installers.

Take a look at our manual here (Printable PDF version): http://manual.zenwalkers.tuxfamily.org/manual_en.pdf

Also, our next release, Zenwalk-3.0, is in testing now with an even easier to use installer.

I really hope I did not offend you because that was not my point, but you really need to think about how important a "pretty GUI installer" is when you will see it only once. You will not use it everyday, therefore what is the point?



-Michael
 
Old 09-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #25
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,054

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxXium
No offense, but that is the silliest thing I've heard in a long time. Would you turn down a box filled with money if there was no pictures on the box? We have an online installation guide with pictures. Our entire installation process takes 20 mins and is the easiest I've see in quite some time. SuSE and Mandriva have much more confusing installers.

Take a look at our manual here (Printable PDF version): http://manual.zenwalkers.tuxfamily.org/manual_en.pdf

Also, our next release, Zenwalk-3.0, is in testing now with an even easier to use installer.

I really hope I did not offend you because that was not my point, but you really need to think about how important a "pretty GUI installer" is when you will see it only once. You will not use it everyday, therefore what is the point?



-Michael
If they are going to change the installer around do you think they could give you an option to use either the new installer or use the old one. I prefer the cli install as it seems to blow past all these gui installers.
 
Old 09-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #26
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,054

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxXium
You only need to understand the very bacics of BASH. C++ is not needed to package games.

We have written a few things in C and Perl, but for the most part BASH is the most widely used.

If you want to build games, contact me from the list at TuxGames. To build any other packages contact us at ZenCommunity.

TuxGames: http://tuxgames.net/index.php
ZenCommunity: http://users.zenwalk.org/



-Michael
Will Do. Probably in the next couple of months. Right now I just can't devote the time I want to as other priorities have taken over.
 
Old 09-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #27
AxXium
Zenwalk Admin
 
Registered: May 2005
Location: Louisiana, U.S.A.
Distribution: Zenwalk Gnu/Linux
Posts: 258

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens84
If they are going to change the installer around do you think they could give you an option to use either the new installer or use the old one. I prefer the cli install as it seems to blow past all these gui installers.
The installer still uses cli/ncurses as it did before and is still blazingly fast. What was changed was the ability to partition while still being in the installer. Before you had to partition your discs via cli/fdisk or cfdisc, then run the command "setup" at which time the installer would begin. There are some other nice changes as well but no ribbons, pink ponies and smilies to slow you down or get in your way.

You'll like it.

;-)

-Michael
 
Old 09-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #28
AtomicAmish
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: East coast, USA
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 139

Rep: Reputation: 15
New user here, very happy with Zenwalk

I'm glad to see that a distribution like Zenwalk is available. SUSE has been my distribution for about 15 months, and I've been surely but slowly moving towards Slackware.

xfce is quite a change from KDE, but I do like its simplicity. I would love to see WindowMaker as an option, but in any case I will continue to use Zenwalk.

Great work!
 
Old 09-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #29
coolguy_2005
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: india
Distribution: zenwalk,suse,mandriva
Posts: 56

Rep: Reputation: 15
@Zenwalk admin
Well its okey it didnt offended me at all by your point, but what you pointed out in your words was worthy thought. Well i wanted to ask a question to the developers of zenwalk.
Why didnt they develop this zenwalk as like other distros yes may be i am talking about the GUI installers or any other thing which might be missing??
> Just becoz zenwalk should be less is space (MB)
OR
>Developers dont wish to provide it.
OR
>Do developers things its useless .
OR
>Developers thinking that making zenwalk more eye catching and iteractive will cause more overhead to them???

I ask apolozies if any one got annoyed by this post, as i am just curious to know.
 
Old 09-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #30
jstephens84
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: (Home)Opensolaris, Ubuntu, CentOS, (Work - AIX, HP-UX, Red Hat)
Posts: 2,054

Rep: Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy_2005
@Zenwalk admin
Well its okey it didnt offended me at all by your point, but what you pointed out in your words was worthy thought. Well i wanted to ask a question to the developers of zenwalk.
Why didnt they develop this zenwalk as like other distros yes may be i am talking about the GUI installers or any other thing which might be missing??
> Just becoz zenwalk should be less is space (MB)
OR
>Developers dont wish to provide it.
OR
>Do developers things its useless .
OR
>Developers thinking that making zenwalk more eye catching and iteractive will cause more overhead to them???

I ask apolozies if any one got annoyed by this post, as i am just curious to know.

nothing wrong about being curious. I don't have a true answer but I would venture to say that since Zenwalk was built from slackware, They wanted it to reamin as close to it as possible but still make it a very user friendly system at the same time.
 
  


Reply

Tags
zenwalk


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there as good Linux programming forum as LQ forum? kornerr LQ Suggestions & Feedback 5 04-29-2007 03:22 AM
chance for a Zenwalk forum. jstephens84 LQ Suggestions & Feedback 6 08-24-2006 10:03 AM
Linux - Programming Forum , Linux - Tweaks Forum .. is it a bad idea ??? UsualTuxpect LQ Suggestions & Feedback 7 01-16-2006 03:33 AM
LXer: Review: Zenwalk Linux 2.0.1 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-30-2005 07:31 AM
zenwalk linux on toshiba satellite 3000 x4 laptop jimjamjahaa Linux - Laptop and Netbook 0 12-22-2005 08:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration