LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Zenwalk
User Name
Password
Zenwalk This forum is for the discussion of Zenwalk Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
Briggzee
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Laptop queries


I'm fairly new to linux and have just installed Zen onto my IBM Laptop.

I'm having trouble with a few things.
1. Wireless
2. Dialup
3. Power management

I'm thinking the wireless is going to be my most difficult challenge.
After checking through dmesg I cam across this;

ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
ipw2200: ipw2200-bss.fw request_firmware failed: Reason -2
ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: -2
ipw2200: failed to register network device
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:04:02.0 disabled
ipw2200: probe of 0000:04:02.0 failed with error -5

Would this be part of my problem? How do I go about fixing it?

2nd problem with Dialup Connection. What can I use as the dialler? I cannot find anything in the menu's. I ran 'pppsetup' which created a few config file under /etc/ppp but I dont know what to do from there.

3rd problem, how can I manage power settings, or at least check my battery power for my lappy?
 
Old 09-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
Brian1
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu
Posts: 5,700

Rep: Reputation: 61
Check out the HCL section here located at the top and to the right. Also check the following links for info. Check other models close to yours if not listed. Even if not same model you may be able to learn what to look for.
http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html
http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Brian1
 
Old 09-21-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
guth
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: France
Distribution: Zenwalk
Posts: 132

Rep: Reputation: 15
i don't have time to check sorry, the link i gave you sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggzee
I'm fairly new to linux and have just installed Zen onto my IBM Laptop.

I'm having trouble with a few things.
1. Wireless
2. Dialup
3. Power management

I'm thinking the wireless is going to be my most difficult challenge.
After checking through dmesg I cam across this;

ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
ipw2200: ipw2200-bss.fw request_firmware failed: Reason -2
ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: -2
ipw2200: failed to register network device
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:04:02.0 disabled
ipw2200: probe of 0000:04:02.0 failed with error -5

Would this be part of my problem? How do I go about fixing it?
download the firmware from ipw2200.sf.net and install it as they say. (i don't remember if i's 2.4 or 3.0 version), this question was anwser here(i think) and on support.zenwalk.org(i'm sure)
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,1909.0.html
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,1114.0.html
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,2083.0.html
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,2113.0.html

Quote:
2nd problem with Dialup Connection. What can I use as the dialler? I cannot find anything in the menu's. I ran 'pppsetup' which created a few config file under /etc/ppp but I dont know what to do from there.
i think you can check :
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,870.0.html
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,1149.0.html
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,1489.0.html
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,2245.0.html

Quote:
3rd problem, how can I manage power settings, or at least check my battery power for my lappy?
thereis a battery monitor in xfce (something like : right click on panel, add, attery monitor)
you can check in the official forum for "suspend2" too
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,1022.0.html
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,2113.0.html
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,2113.0.html

In most cases, the "search" button on the "official" forum can help
 
Old 09-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
Briggzee
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Hopefully I can figure things out from here.

I'll remember to check the official forums too next time.
 
Old 09-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
CrownAmbassador
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.10
Posts: 374

Rep: Reputation: 30
Just in case someone who has more or less the same setup as me and doesn't have a /boot/grub/grub.conf file has the same problem with the battery indicator, here is what I did to sort it out:

Very simple actually. I just installed acpi and acpid. Thats it. And it works!

I'm running Debian 3.1 with GNOME on a Dell Inspiron 5150.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent queries reeshimanu Linux - Networking 3 07-18-2006 09:02 AM
help with basic queries? stuartmcgeown Linux - General 4 05-22-2006 08:50 AM
python queries LAdProg2005 Programming 0 11-14-2005 10:38 AM
***Queries for all of u***** LinuxRam Linux - General 6 08-02-2004 01:09 PM
Mandrake 10, many queries suicidal_orange Mandriva 3 06-10-2004 08:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration