hi, im trying to get xubuntu to work on an old laptop of mine but am having a couple problems...
1. i cant get my pcmci ethernet card to work. (i've tried 2)
- it worked once on the livecd (not more than once for some reason). i looked at a couple of the loaded modules (the time it worked) to see what i was missing on my install but i guess i didn't get all the necessary ones written down (didn't work). I tried to run the live cd again (and again, to get all of the loaded modules... and try them all) but the livecd wouldn't connect to the internet... i dont know why that would happen.
- anyway, i cant get my internet up and xubuntu doesn't seem to have any programs installed that can help me out ...pcmciautils etc.
2. i cant use "make"
- i transfered a kernel source (via cd) to my laptop to recompile the kernel and see if i could get it running that way, but i cant make (it says command not found)... and yes there is a Makefile present.
- i tried to install pcmciautils but same problem, cant "make".
--any suggestions... how about any decent i586 friendly, internet ready distros with good package managers?
edit... i got my ethernet card to work under the livecd again and i loaded the modules that weren't loaded on the installation but still get no internet... i assume theres a software configureation thing i must do but aside from running dhclient i dont have any ideas. (network-admin is useless.)
edit2... i have to install make seperately through apt-get... whenever i get the internet problem fixed http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ghlight=pcmcia