LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
daacosta
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 45

Rep: Reputation: 15
Exclamation Xubuntu and Synaptic




Does anybody here have experience with Xubuntu? I understand that I can simply install it using synaptic and then restart my box to choose it, am I right?

Last edited by daacosta; 03-24-2006 at 11:57 PM.
 
Old 03-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
gilead
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 4,123

Rep: Reputation: 151Reputation: 151
You call that urgent???

Some feedback, instead of just a disbelieving comment:

When you post with an inaccurate subject line you're wasting the time of the people who'd like to help you but can't. Putting in a descriptive, accurate subject gives you a better chance of getting some real help from someone who can help.

When you deliberately post with an inaccurate subject you're going to cut down the number of helpful responses as people move on to other posts instead of considering yours.

Last edited by gilead; 03-24-2006 at 11:56 PM.
 
Old 03-24-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
daacosta
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilead
You call that urgent???

Some feedback, instead of just a disbelieving comment:

When you post with an inaccurate subject line you're wasting the time of the people who'd like to help you but can't. Putting in a descriptive, accurate subject gives you a better chance of getting some real help from someone who can help.

When you deliberately post with an inaccurate subject you're going to cut down the number of helpful responses as people move on to other posts instead of considering yours.
It is called a joke...

Understand that concept? How much of your time did I waste? A couple of clicks? Be a good sport man...

I edited the post so that it is no longer offensive...
 
Old 03-25-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
b0nd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Distribution: Slackware, BackTrack, Windows XP
Posts: 1,020

Rep: Reputation: 45
hi gilead,
Actually he's gonna hanged till death tomorrow morning for not having experience with Xubuntu.

and moreover he believes in :

Quote:
Live, as you have to live forever,
learn, as you have to die tomorrow.
(its actually other way round)

Take it easy buddy...
 
Old 03-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #5
b0nd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Distribution: Slackware, BackTrack, Windows XP
Posts: 1,020

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
I edited the post so that it is no longer offensive...
Edited the post........!!!
really nice.
so that now other persons will check these post and will think that "gilead" and i'm gonna insane and firing a noob.
right man ???
 
Old 03-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
sumguy231
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: North America
Distribution: Kubuntu 7.04 - Feisty Fawn
Posts: 296

Rep: Reputation: 30
If this is a joke, it's not very funny.
 
Old 03-25-2006, 12:05 AM   #7
daacosta
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruudra
Edited the post........!!!
really nice.
so that now other persons will check these post and will think that "gilead" and i'm gonna insane and firing a noob.
right man ???

Ruudra,

To be honest with you I believe that the reaction was way out of proportion and after reading the original thread you will realize that I didn't mean any harm. Come on... Lighten up... And thanks for calling me n00b

Despite having used Linux for the past two years I still consider that I have got a lot to learn...

Lighten up and have a good laugh... Sheshhh...
 
Old 03-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #8
daacosta
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy231
If this is a joke, it's not very funny.

Well... I thought so in the beginning but now that I see the reactions...


MY DEEPEST AND SINCEREST APOLOGIES TO THE PEOPLE THAT READ THE ORIGINAL THREAD

Can we move on?
 
Old 03-25-2006, 05:52 AM   #9
mips13
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
daacosta,

Have a look here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu

1. Uncomment the universe repository
2. #sudo apt-get update
3. #sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Just leave the # marks out.
 
Old 03-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
KimVette
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Lee, NH
Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS, RHEL
Posts: 1,794

Rep: Reputation: 46
daacosta>
Check out the link in my signature. You REALLY need to watch "Posting and You"
 
Old 03-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
Thread title fixed
 
Old 03-26-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
daacosta
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimVette
daacosta>
Check out the link in my signature. You REALLY need to watch "Posting and You"
Sheshhhh!

This is idiotic... It was a joke and I tried to fix the title of the post by editing it... It wouldn't allow me to, so there...

To any moderator here: EDITING DOESN'T ALLOW CHANGES IN THE TOPIC TITLE... OK?


What else do you want from me?

An apology? I already offered it...

Take it easy guys! Don't start moralizing another person for a stupid post that was meant to be a joke...

By the way, I didn't have time to look at your signature and will not look at it... So... Sorry... It was intended as a JOKE... OK?
 
Old 03-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
daacosta
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mips13
daacosta,

Have a look here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu

1. Uncomment the universe repository
2. #sudo apt-get update
3. #sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Just leave the # marks out.
Thank you, I already have all repositories uncommented and I now know how to install Xubuntu (read that wiki... Thanks!) Is it worth using Xubuntu? How have your experiences with it have been?

NOTE: I will not entertain any more discussions about my bad joke... If you guys are ready to move on I am... I already responded to these stupid moralizing attempts in a bad manner and I am ready to do it again.
 
Old 03-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #14
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by daacosta
Sheshhhh!

This is idiotic... It was a joke and I tried to fix the title of the post by editing it... It wouldn't allow me to, so there...

To any moderator here: EDITING DOESN'T ALLOW CHANGES IN THE TOPIC TITLE... OK?
Your joke appears to have fallen on it's face. And yes, we know that you can't edit your thread title. On the other hand, I can and did.


Quote:
Originally Posted by daacosta
What else do you want from me?

An apology? I already offered it...

Take it easy guys! Don't start moralizing another person for a stupid post that was meant to be a joke...

By the way, I didn't have time to look at your signature and will not look at it... So... Sorry... It was intended as a JOKE... OK?
Really, the best thing for you to do is to accept that it wasn't funny and move on, after promising never to do it again.

Anyway, let's get the discussion back on track and get back to discussing the whole "installing xubuntu via synaprtic" thingy.
 
Old 03-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #15
daacosta
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2002
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Distribution: Fedora Core 4
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I can go for that Mr. Moderator but I ask in return that anybody moralizing and making any comment about the stupid joke have his/her post erased... Is that fair?
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Synaptic Gui ver on Suse 10.0 - error message : "command synaptic not found" suse2166 Linux - Newbie 6 04-04-2006 01:58 AM
audio player for xubuntu Tobitas Ubuntu 1 03-15-2006 07:00 AM
Synaptic torger Ubuntu 2 03-06-2006 08:38 PM
Xubuntu - desktop too wide, doesn't fit screen. NomDeGuerre Linux - Newbie 2 12-27-2005 09:59 PM
synaptic husnos Debian 4 06-28-2005 06:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration