LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
pheonix991
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: NW AR
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: 15
Xubuntu Alt. install hanging problems


I'm installing xubuntu 6.06 on a legacy machine(400mhz celly) I already have to use the "acpi=off apm=on" thing to get the installer to start. But, it says it is starting the partitioner, gets to 100%, then it stays at the blue screen. Any tips?
 
Old 07-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
kshymkiw
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04, Debian
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix991
I'm installing xubuntu 6.06 on a legacy machine(400mhz celly) I already have to use the "acpi=off apm=on" thing to get the installer to start. But, it says it is starting the partitioner, gets to 100%, then it stays at the blue screen. Any tips?
How much RAM?
Bios is default?
 
Old 07-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
pheonix991
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: NW AR
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
128 ram, and yeah, bios is default(but, powermanagement changed to apm because the other setting isn't supported by ubuntu).
 
Old 07-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
kshymkiw
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04, Debian
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix991
128 ram, and yeah, bios is default(but, powermanagement changed to apm because the other setting isn't supported by ubuntu).
System Requirements

Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit and Mac architectures. CDs require at least 256 MB of RAM. Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.

I am sure it has been done on less, but it could be the reason for the hanging application. Maybe you need to bypass the mem check?

Crap i didn't see you were doing 6.06 NM what i said then. You still may wana do the bypass mem check

Last edited by kshymkiw; 07-06-2007 at 05:15 PM.
 
Old 07-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
kshymkiw
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04, Debian
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw
System Requirements

Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit and Mac architectures. CDs require at least 256 MB of RAM. Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.

I am sure it has been done on less, but it could be the reason for the hanging application. Maybe you need to bypass the mem check?

Crap i didn't see you were doing 6.06 NM what i said then. You still may wana do the bypass mem check
Here we go for xubuntu:

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install.

So it is running for you, but can't install. The Alternate Install CD only required you to have 64 MB RAM. This is a super minimal, no live cd install. Try installing from that, then all xubuntu requires is 64MB of RAM

http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso...rnate-i386.iso There is the link for 6.06

Last edited by kshymkiw; 07-06-2007 at 05:21 PM.
 
Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
pheonix991
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: NW AR
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw
Here we go for xubuntu:

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install.

So it is running for you, but can't install. The Alternate Install CD only required you to have 64 MB RAM. This is a super minimal, no live cd install. Try installing from that, then all xubuntu requires is 64MB of RAM

http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso...rnate-i386.iso There is the link for 6.06
I've already downloaded the Cd iso(no dvd drive on old comp). And the new version 7.xx won't install at all.

So, we are on the same page now. Sorry, I forgot to mention the alt. install earlier.

Last edited by pheonix991; 07-06-2007 at 05:32 PM.
 
Old 07-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
kshymkiw
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04, Debian
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix991
I've already downloaded the Cd iso(no dvd drive on old comp). And the new version 7.xx won't install at all.

So, we are on the same page now.
you stated you were running the live cd, on 6.06. I was suggesting the alternate install cd, which only needs 64MB of memeory, whereas the Live CD needs 192MB of RAM to install.
 
Old 07-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
pheonix991
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: NW AR
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw
you stated you were running the live cd, on 6.06. I was suggesting the alternate install cd, which only needs 64MB of memeory, whereas the Live CD needs 192MB of RAM to install.
I know, sorry about the misinformation.

How do I pass the mem. requirements?
 
Old 07-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
kshymkiw
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04, Debian
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix991
I know, sorry about the misinformation.

How do I pass the mem. requirements?

You can do that by using the Alternate CD. I am assuming though, you would need to do a text only based install to pass the mem check, if you run from the Live CD.

I would recomend getting the Alternate CD, and burning that to a CD, and then installing it that way.

Alternate CD Image for 7.04 http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/r...rnate-i386.iso

Alternate CD Imange for 6.06 http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso...rnate-i386.iso

Hope this helps you!

Last edited by kshymkiw; 07-06-2007 at 06:47 PM.
 
Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
pheonix991
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: NW AR
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks for all this help man. I've already got the alt. intall cd's. the 7.04 won't intstall, it won't even get to the partitioner. And the 6.06 won't load the partitioner.
 
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
pheonix991
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: NW AR
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Almost done installing. The reason why it wouldn't work the first time was because the hdd wasn't plugged in all the way.

Got xubnutu 6.06 installed!!! Now, I'm trying to get automatix2 installed...

Last edited by pheonix991; 07-06-2007 at 10:42 PM.
 
Old 07-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
kshymkiw
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04, Debian
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix991
Almost done installing. The reason why it wouldn't work the first time was because the hdd wasn't plugged in all the way.

Got xubnutu 6.06 installed!!! Now, I'm trying to get automatix2 installed...
Glad to hear! It generally is something as simple as that. Hope it runs well for you. Automatix is a great tool.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samba problems (under Xubuntu) pandronic Linux - Networking 0 12-21-2006 10:25 AM
Xubuntu and WPA config problems mikefinlay Linux - Wireless Networking 1 12-05-2006 11:59 AM
gcc problems xubuntu 6.1 bayonetblaha Linux - Software 1 10-20-2006 10:17 PM
Mandrake 10.1 Install Problems - Hanging evad Mandriva 7 04-04-2005 06:59 AM
Installation problems, system hanging during install vidual Red Hat 0 10-06-2004 04:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration