UbuntuThis forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and after a recent software update, I found that my web browsers crash constantly. Firefox stays open for a few seconds and then dies and won't restart. Google Chrome keeps giving me the "Aw, Snap!" screen. Seamonkey and Epiphany run for a while and then crash. After some research, I uninstalled Flash, but that didn't change anything. On a possibly related note, I've been informed of disk errors during boot and prompted to fix them twice in the same two week period. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Thanks for the response, ultimate linux. That was just what I needed to get Firefox up so I can attempt to determine the cause of the crashes and to make sure the backups of my bookmarks are up-to-date. When I deduce the cause, I'll post it here. Thanks again.
It certainly seems odd that all web browsers would crash on you.
Perhaps try running firefox (with or without a new profile) or epiphany from the terminal. When they crash they will (hopefully) report some error message that may point to a solution for the problem.
I would leave flash uninstalled until you get to the bottom of this.
Is it just certain web sites that cause the browsers to crash? Or is it more random, and happening on any web site?
I first noticed the prblem on facebook, playing mafia wars. Now the problem seems to be universal. Right now, I am running Firefox in safe mode, waiting for it to crash, so I can post the error message. Yesterday, I was looking at the plug-ins page and decided to print it out. The print window opened, but both it and firefox crashed when I clicked Print. The system as a whole has been running a little choppy lately and has run fsck at boot three times in the past two weeks. Thanks again for the input, tommcd. I will be in touch.
The system as a whole has been running a little choppy lately and has run fsck at boot three times in the past two weeks. ...
I installed a RAM upgrade last week. Could this have something to do with the crashes?
So all web browsers crash, and thunderbird and nautilus also crash. The system also has been running "choppy" and it needed to fsck the drive 3 times in 2 weeks.
This is obviously more than just a web browser problem.
I suppose if the memory is bad it could be corrupting data. That may explain what is going on.
Boot up the Ubuntu live CD and run memtest. Let memtest run for at least a few hours and see if it reports errors.
I ran memtest for 2+ hours last night and the new RAM module came up clean. I booted the PC using an Ubuntu 10.04 CD and ran sudo e2fsck -p on the Linux native partition and that came up clean as well. My guess is that some of the libraries and possibly other system files have become corrupted. I'm verifying that my back-ups are current and then I'll go with a fresh install. Thanks again to both of you for your assistance.