LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
enrico_dvchp
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: firenze
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 106

Rep: Reputation: 15
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx - unable to upgrade NVIDIA Geforce


Hi all,
I've recently installed Lucid Lynx and at reboot the os suggested me to upgrade my video card: Nvidia Geforce gtx260. The first time I accepted the tip but at reboot I had only a black monitor. At a first look the gtx 260 is not configured or configured in a wrong way. And for unknown reason there isn't xorg.conf in /etc/X11. Simply it does not exist in Ubuntu.
At first, i've used the lucid lynx dvd to start a new linux session and waiting for ideas. I remembered once i've used a method to configure particular linux drivers from the nvidia website:
...
2) Open a terminal: Applications--> Accessories--> Terminal

3) sudo apt-get install build-essential

4) gksudo gedit /etc/modules
4.a) Add "nvidia" without quotes to the list.
4.b) Save and Exit

5) gksudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
5.a) Add "nv" without quotes to the restricted list. It should look exactly like this: DISABLED_MODULES="nv"
5.b) Save and Exit

6) sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ./xorg.conf.backup [no xorg.conf resident in my hard disk]

...
If you have a failed NVIDIA*.run (drivers from the nvidia.com site) run this command before you go on:

sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall

----------------------------------

8) CTRL-ALT-F1
9) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
10) sudo chmod a+x ./NVIDIA*.run
As I sayd, I have a Geforce gtx260 and from The nvidia website I've found a linux driver that seems able to configure my video card.
a.http://www.nvidia.it/Download/index5.aspx?lang=it
b.
Download di driver NVIDIA
b2.Tipo di prodotto: Geforce
b3.Serie del prodotto: Geforce 200 series
b4.Famiglia di prodotti: Geforce GTX260
b5.Sistema operativo: linux32-bit
b6.Linguaggio:italiano
The driver is found with this url: http://it.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...x86-256.35.run
I've saved it and I've done the following steps:
11) sudo ./NVIDIA*.run
11.a) Answer to the affirmative for all questions.
11.b) Be sure to specifically say you DO WANT it to write a new xorg.conf
11.c) If you somehow answered incorrectly on the last question in the installer then:
c.I) sudo nvidia-xconfig #this will write a new or attempt repair of
an xorg.conf file for you.
In my case I've answered yes because I have any xorg.conf to overwrite. Anyway the process stalls and I have some errors that make not possible to go on with installation.

12) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
12.a) You should see an Nvidia Logo, and then be put at your login screen, you should also be able to enable desktop effects.
No logo appairs in my case.
The second approach I've formatted from ramdrive the ext4-swap partitions and reinstalled Lucid. Another time The upgrade advise tells me to renew my nvidia driver to make possible to use compiz fusion,graphic effects and so on...
I have no more ideas.
Have I to uninstall badly installed or incorrect drivers?
If possible, do you know what drive is more suitable between lucid lynx and gfx 260?
And more, can you suggest the correct way to install them?

Please help me.
enrico dvchp

Last edited by enrico_dvchp; 07-28-2010 at 01:48 PM.
 
Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
tommcd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia PA USA
Distribution: Lubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 2,230

Rep: Reputation: 287Reputation: 287Reputation: 287
The nvidia driver is already in the Ubuntu repositories.
To install the nvidia driver for your card you only have to do:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot
And you should be good to go.
Is this a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04??? Or is this a dist-upgrade from an earlier version of Ubuntu???
NOTE: If you had previously installed the nvidia driver from nvidia.com, you will first need to uninstall that before running the commands to install the nvidia driver that I have provided. If you don't, then you will make a big mess of your system.
If you already have installed the driver from nvidia.com, then just install the newest driver from nvidia.com the same way.

NOTE: When using Ubuntu, the driver from the Ubuntu repos should always be your first choice. The only reason to install the driver from nvidia.com is if the driver from the Ubuntu repos will not work for you for some reason.
NOTE: If you use the driver from nvidia.com, then you will need to reinstall it when ever there is a kernel update from the Ubuntu repos.
You really need to know what you are doing if you elect to use the driver from nvidia.com. The nvidia driver from the Ubuntu repos will update itself. If you use the driver from nvidia.com, then you are responsible for it.

Last edited by tommcd; 07-28-2010 at 02:02 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
enrico_dvchp
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: firenze
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 106

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
The nvidia driver is already in the Ubuntu repositories.
To install the nvidia driver for your card you only have to do:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot
And you should be good to go.
Is this a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04??? Or is this a dist-upgrade from an earlier version of Ubuntu???
NOTE: If you had previously installed the nvidia driver from nvidia.com, you will first need to uninstall that before running the commands to install the nvidia driver that I have provided. If you don't, then you will make a big mess of your system.
If you already have installed the driver from nvidia.com, then just install the newest driver from nvidia.com the same way.

NOTE: When using Ubuntu, the driver from the Ubuntu repos should always be your first choice. The only reason to install the driver from nvidia.com is if the driver from the Ubuntu repos will not work for you for some reason.
NOTE: If you use the driver from nvidia.com, then you will need to reinstall it when ever there is a kernel update from the Ubuntu repos.
You really need to know what you are doing if you elect to use the driver from nvidia.com. The nvidia driver from the Ubuntu repos will update itself. If you use the driver from nvidia.com, then you are responsible for it.
I've tryed all the steps you've suggested but without success. First, I'll format my linux partitions another time, install ubuntu again and then I'll try to install nvidia by using the repos only. It is very difficult to change the system from a ramdrive (Try Ubuntu). I'll report the result of my efforts as soon as possible. Meanwhile I can use XP and follow my threads from there. I have downloaded the nvidia drivers of geforce gtx 260 from nvidia.com because I am not sure the avalaible repos provide a driver suitable with my video card. If yes, what kind of driver have I to install from synaptic?
EG:
nvidia 96
nvidia 173
nvidia 185? or it is the same for a gtx 260?

Thanks in advance.


enrico
 
Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,060

Rep: Reputation: 330Reputation: 330Reputation: 330Reputation: 330
did you try using jockey-gtk?
thats what I use in lucid/meerkat with old mx4000 card
and it works...

apt-get install jockey-gtk

you gotta be root to run tha app...
 
Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
enrico_dvchp
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: firenze
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 106

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Smile Cannot use Compiz Fusion - Nvidia not found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
The nvidia driver is already in the Ubuntu repositories.
To install the nvidia driver for your card you only have to do:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot
And you should be good to go.
Is this a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04??? Or is this a dist-upgrade from an earlier version of Ubuntu???
NOTE: If you had previously installed the nvidia driver from nvidia.com, you will first need to uninstall that before running the commands to install the nvidia driver that I have provided. If you don't, then you will make a big mess of your system.
If you already have installed the driver from nvidia.com, then just install the newest driver from nvidia.com the same way.

NOTE: When using Ubuntu, the driver from the Ubuntu repos should always be your first choice. The only reason to install the driver from nvidia.com is if the driver from the Ubuntu repos will not work for you for some reason.
NOTE: If you use the driver from nvidia.com, then you will need to reinstall it when ever there is a kernel update from the Ubuntu repos.
You really need to know what you are doing if you elect to use the driver from nvidia.com. The nvidia driver from the Ubuntu repos will update itself. If you use the driver from nvidia.com, then you are responsible for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
did you try using jockey-gtk?
thats what I use in lucid/meerkat with old mx4000 card
and it works...

apt-get install jockey-gtk

you gotta be root to run tha app...
Now I've installed again ubuntu on my ext4 partition and I have the same problem. The update manager warns me about new nvidia drivers useful for graphic effects but i'm tired to format-and-format again my hd. I'd like to know the consequences of my actions. After install a package like jokey-gtk, I'm going to follow the steps you suggested me some message ago:
[Code:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot]
my problem is: what kind of nvidia have I to install from ubuntu repos in order to make working a geforce gtx 260?
Synaptic give me three answers:
nvidia 173
nvidia 180
nvidia 185
nvidia 96
What of them is more suitable for my case?
Thanks in advance
Enrico DVC
 
Old 07-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
linus72
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Gordonsville-AKA Mayberry-Virginia
Distribution: PocketWriter/MinimalX
Posts: 5,060

Rep: Reputation: 330Reputation: 330Reputation: 330Reputation: 330
jockey-gtk should automatically choose the right driver....did it?
 
Old 07-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
enrico_dvchp
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: firenze
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 106

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
jockey-gtk should automatically choose the right driver....did it?
The first time I had a black screen was when I followed the suggestion of jockey-gtk. The warning was:
No proprietary driver in use ( or something similar)
[Nvidia Graphic Drivers (current version) - recommended]
[Driver description
...
If this driver is not enabled it isn't possible to enable graphic effects (Compiz Fusion I suppose) and use 3d ...video games]
[This driver is not enabled] [Enable]
I chose to enable and at reboot, and entering Ubuntu I had a black empty screen. (?!?)
I've formatted and reinstalled ubuntu for the same reason for three times and I'm going to be frustrated. Some of you has had a similar problem?
Have I to add a particular repo in Synaptic and authentication gdm?
Or can it depend on a connection problem? I explain: the first time i installed ubuntu I've chosen to enable the driver but after i discovered Firefox didn't log to the Internet. On the basis of a forum I've known that Pirelli Gate + sometimes gives problems, the solution was:
1.sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
2.uncomment #net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies=1
3. add net.ipv4.tcp_window=0 and net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0
Actually firefox works in this way. Now my prob is it is more safe to use again jockey-gtk or to follow the steps:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot
-----------------

Sorry for my english.
See you.

Last edited by enrico_dvchp; 07-31-2010 at 08:37 AM.
 
Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
tommcd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia PA USA
Distribution: Lubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 2,230

Rep: Reputation: 287Reputation: 287Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico_dvchp View Post
my problem is: what kind of nvidia have I to install from ubuntu repos in order to make working a geforce gtx 260?
What of them is more suitable for my case?
On my Ubuntu 10.04 system installing nvidia-current driver gave me the nvidia 195.36.24 driver. This can be confirmed by running nvidia-settings after you reboot. This is the newest driver in the Ubuntu repos and would be appropriate for your card.
Here is the info for the nvidia-current driver from the Ubuntu repos:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/nvidia-current
Just follow the instructions I gave in post #2 of this thread.

Last edited by tommcd; 07-31-2010 at 08:52 AM.
 
Old 07-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
enrico_dvchp
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: firenze
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 106

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx - unable to upgrade NVIDIA Geforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
On my Ubuntu 10.04 system installing nvidia-current driver gave me the nvidia 195.36.24 driver. This can be confirmed by running nvidia-settings after you reboot. This is the newest driver in the Ubuntu repos and would be appropriate for your card.
Here is the info for the nvidia-current driver from the Ubuntu repos:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/nvidia-current
Just follow the instructions I gave in post #2 of this thread.
Do you mean I can do these ops you suggested me safely?
Code
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot
/Code
If yes i'll do it now. Bowsing for solutions I've discovered that the kernel knows my video card is a Nvidia but remains a mistery the loss of xorg.conf.
Code:
djangou@ESPERYDES:~$ sudo hwinfo --framebuffer
sudo: hwinfo: command not found
djangou@ESPERYDES:~$ sudo hwinfo --framebuffer
sudo: hwinfo: command not found
djangou@ESPERYDES:~$ sudo hwinfo --framebuffer
02: None 00.0: 11001 VESA Framebuffer
[Created at bios.464]
Unique ID: rdCR.tvl4Tad3xF8
Hardware Class: framebuffer
Model: "NVIDIA GT200 Board - 0651s009"
Vendor: "NVIDIA Corporation"
Device: "GT200 Board - 0651s009"
SubVendor: "NVIDIA"
SubDevice:
Revision: "Chip Rev"
Memory Size: 14 MB
Memory Range: 0xf9000000-0xf9dfffff (rw)
Mode 0x0300: 640x400 (+640), 8 bits
Mode 0x0301: 640x480 (+640), 8 bits
Mode 0x0303: 800x600 (+800), 8 bits
Mode 0x0305: 1024x768 (+1024), 8 bits
Mode 0x0307: 1280x1024 (+1280), 8 bits
Mode 0x030e: 320x200 (+640), 16 bits
Mode 0x030f: 320x200 (+1280), 24 bits
Mode 0x0311: 640x480 (+1280), 16 bits
Mode 0x0312: 640x480 (+2560), 24 bits
Mode 0x0314: 800x600 (+1600), 16 bits
Mode 0x0315: 800x600 (+3200), 24 bits
Mode 0x0317: 1024x768 (+2048), 16 bits
Mode 0x0318: 1024x768 (+4096), 24 bits
Mode 0x031a: 1280x1024 (+2560), 16 bits
Mode 0x031b: 1280x1024 (+5120), 24 bits
Mode 0x0330: 320x200 (+320), 8 bits
Mode 0x0331: 320x400 (+320), 8 bits
Mode 0x0332: 320x400 (+640), 16 bits
Mode 0x0333: 320x400 (+1280), 24 bits
Mode 0x0334: 320x240 (+320), 8 bits
Mode 0x0335: 320x240 (+640), 16 bits
Mode 0x0336: 320x240 (+1280), 24 bits
Mode 0x033d: 640x400 (+1280), 16 bits
Mode 0x033e: 640x400 (+2560), 24 bits
Mode 0x0345: 1600x1200 (+1600), 8 bits
Mode 0x0346: 1600x1200 (+3200), 16 bits
Mode 0x0347: 1400x1050 (+1400), 8 bits
Mode 0x0348: 1400x1050 (+2800), 16 bits
Mode 0x0349: 1400x1050 (+5600), 24 bits
Mode 0x034a: 1600x1200 (+6400), 24 bits
Mode 0x0352: 2048x1536 (+8192), 24 bits
Mode 0x0360: 1280x800 (+1280), 8 bits
Mode 0x0361: 1280x800 (+5120), 24 bits
Mode 0x0362: 768x480 (+768), 8 bits
Mode 0x0364: 1440x900 (+1440), 8 bits
Mode 0x0365: 1440x900 (+5760), 24 bits
Mode 0x0368: 1680x1050 (+1680), 8 bits
Mode 0x0369: 1680x1050 (+6720), 24 bits
Mode 0x037b: 1280x720 (+5120), 24 bits
Mode 0x037c: 1920x1200 (+1920), 8 bits
Mode 0x037d: 1920x1200 (+7680), 24 bits
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
/Code
It seems that ubuntu recognize my video card but something make not possible to use 3d or Compiz Fusion, that is my real aim.
I have two ways: the first is to create a xorg.conf in some way. The second is to follow your steps. Probably the result is the same but i am not very expert and I need a confirmation.
Thanks for your patience.
 
Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
tommcd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia PA USA
Distribution: Lubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 2,230

Rep: Reputation: 287Reputation: 287Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico_dvchp View Post
Do you mean I can do these ops you suggested me safely?
Code
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot
/Code
If yes i'll do it now.
Yes, this is safe. The 195 driver is not the latest driver from nvidia, but it is the newest driver in the Ubuntu repos. According to nvidia.com, this driver supports your card:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...31-driver.html
NOTE: If you had previously installed any other nvidia driver, remove it before installing the nvidia-current driver. You should only have one nvidia driver installed at a time.
If this is a fresh clean install, without installing any nvidia drivers, then this is not a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico_dvchp View Post
... I've discovered that the kernel knows my video card is a Nvidia but remains a mistery the loss of xorg.conf. ...
It seems that ubuntu recognize my video card but something make not possible to use 3d or Compiz Fusion, that is my real aim.
I have two ways: the first is to create a xorg.conf in some way. The second is to follow your steps.
You must install the nvidia driver to enable 3D. You can't just edit xorg.conf to use the nvidia driver. The driver itself must be installed.
When you run sudo nvidia-xconfig this will automatically edit xorg.conf for you in order to have xorg.conf properly set to use the nvidia driver.

Note #2: Ubuntu uses the open source reverse engineered nouveau driver by default for nvidia cards. While the nouveau driver has come a long way (no thanks to nvidia, who still refuse to open up the source code for their drivers to the linux developers!!), it is still no match for the proprietary 3D driver from nvidia.com.
When you install the nvidia driver as I have outlined, it should create a file named /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-whatever that will blacklist nouveau so it does not conflict with the proprietary nvidia driver.

Write back if you need more help.
Sorry it took me so long to get back. I work 12 hour shifts on the weekends.

EDIT Here is the latest info on installing the nvidia driver from the nvidia wiki:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia
Note that the first command is to install nvidia-current.

Note #3: I did not purge-remove the nouveau driver as it says there. It should not hurt to remove nouveau though as per that tutorial.

I hope I have not confused you with too much info.
Please don't hesitate to write back if you need more help.
I really think that the nvidia-current (nvidia 195.xxx) is your ticket to 3D bliss though!!!

Last edited by tommcd; 08-01-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: to add more info from the Ubuntu wiki!!!
 
Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
enrico_dvchp
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: firenze
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 106

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs up Re:Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx - unable to upgrade NVIDIA Geforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
Yes, this is safe. The 195 driver is not the latest driver from nvidia, but it is the newest driver in the Ubuntu repos. According to nvidia.com, this driver supports your card:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...31-driver.html
NOTE: If you had previously installed any other nvidia driver, remove it before installing the nvidia-current driver. You should only have one nvidia driver installed at a time.
If this is a fresh clean install, without installing any nvidia drivers, then this is not a problem.

You must install the nvidia driver to enable 3D. You can't just edit xorg.conf to use the nvidia driver. The driver itself must be installed.
When you run sudo nvidia-xconfig this will automatically edit xorg.conf for you in order to have xorg.conf properly set to use the nvidia driver.

Note: Ubuntu uses the open source reverse engineered nouveau driver by default for nvidia cards. While the nouveau driver has come a long way (no thanks to nvidia, who still refuse to open up the source code for their drivers to the linux developers!!), it is still no match for the proprietary 3D driver from nvidia.com.
When you install the nvidia driver as I have outlined, it should create a file named /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-whatever that will blacklist nouveau so it does not conflict with the proprietary nvidia driver.

Write back if you need more help.
Sorry it took me so long to get back. I work 12 hour shifts on the weekends.
VVV!
Finally I have installed succesfully Nvidia X Server settings that reports of a new xorg.conf and my Geforce. I've rebooted and this time ubuntu seems work fine. 3D games like OpenArena are not slow. Moreover if I go to System>Preferences>Themes> Graphical effects are now set to "Normal" and not to "none" as happened before.
Now I will try to use Compiz Fusion.

Thanks a million.
Enrico Dini
Firenze
Italy
 
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
tommcd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia PA USA
Distribution: Lubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 2,230

Rep: Reputation: 287Reputation: 287Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico_dvchp View Post
VVV!
Finally I have installed succesfully Nvidia X Server settings that reports of a new xorg.conf and my Geforce. I've rebooted and this time ubuntu seems work fine.
Just to confirm that you have 3D enabled:
1. Open a terminal and run: nvidia-settings. In the nvidia-settings GUI, under
"OpenGL/GLX Information", on the right hand side it should say something like:
Direct Rendering: Yes.
2. While in the terminal run:
Code:
glxinfo | grep -i render
It should report something like:
Code:
bash-4.1$ glxinfo | grep -i render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
    GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image, 
    GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info,
The key info is: direct rendering: Yes
As long as you got that you are good to go!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico_dvchp View Post
3D games like OpenArena are not slow. Moreover if I go to System>Preferences>Themes> Graphical effects are now set to "Normal" and not to "none" as happened before.
Glad to hear it. Happy fragging those evil aliens!!!

Last edited by tommcd; 08-01-2010 at 10:46 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
enrico_dvchp
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: firenze
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 106

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
Just to confirm that you have 3D enabled:
1. Open a terminal and run: nvidia-settings. In the nvidia-settings GUI, under
"OpenGL/GLX Information", on the right hand side it should say something like:
Direct Rendering: Yes.
2. While in the terminal run:
Code:
glxinfo | grep -i render
It should report something like:
Code:
bash-4.1$ glxinfo | grep -i render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
    GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image, 
    GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info,
The key info is: direct rendering: Yes
As long as you got that you are good to go!!

Glad to hear it. Happy fragging those evil aliens!!!
It seems the results ar good:
Nvidia-settings:
[OpenGL/GLX Information>Direct Rendering: Yes]

[djangou@ESPERYDES:~$ glxinfo | grep -i render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2
GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, ]
In your view, can i try compiz -fusion?
 
Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
adamk75
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Posts: 3,091

Rep: Reputation: 396Reputation: 396Reputation: 396Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
Code:
bash-4.1$ glxinfo | grep -i render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
    GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image, 
    GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info,
The key info is: direct rendering: Yes
As long as you got that you are good to go!!
That is wrong. direct rendering, in and of itself, does not mean 3D drivers are installed properly. People need to stop spreading this misinformation. It is quite possible to have direct rendering with the mesa software rasterizer. You need to check the status of direct rendering along with with the OpenGL renderer string. If the OpenGL renderer string says "software" in it, then their drivers are not installed properly, even if direct rendering shows "Yes".

Adam
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
tommcd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia PA USA
Distribution: Lubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 2,230

Rep: Reputation: 287Reputation: 287Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75 View Post
It is quite possible to have direct rendering with the mesa software rasterizer. You need to check the status of direct rendering along with with the OpenGL renderer string. If the OpenGL renderer string says "software" in it, then their drivers are not installed properly, even if direct rendering shows "Yes".
Yes, that is true. I had read that before around here. Thanks for reminding me.
So would you run glxinfo any differently than this:
Code:
glxinfo | grep -i render
I used to run:
Code:
glxinfo | grep -i direct
But it was pointed out that it was better to grep "render" rather than "direct" for the reasons you mentioned.

Checking that direct rendering is enabled in the nvidia-settings dialog box is still valid though, is it not?

Last edited by tommcd; 08-01-2010 at 05:22 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply

Tags
nvidia


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx First Impressions LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-03-2010 02:50 PM
LXer: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx Release Candidate Is Out [See What's New] LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-22-2010 09:20 PM
LXer: How to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-06-2010 10:31 PM
LXer: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx beta1 Screenshot tour LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-20-2010 02:20 AM
LXer: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04 LTS) Alpha 3 is here LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 02-26-2010 01:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration