LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Jeroen52
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 (Final)
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: 0
Post Switching Desktop from CentOS 6 to Ubuntu


Hi,

I have been using CentOS 6 Desktop and Server for the last few years and I understand it totally.
But I want to move my desktop environment to the latest version of Ubuntu.
What I want to know is what is better, but also all the things I can stumble upon while I am switching from CentOS to Ubuntu.
Like I know that CentOS uses YUM and Ubuntu uses apt-get.
So what I would like to know what is different.

I hope that it is not something totally different.
I know that there's some option where you can switch your Desktop in Ubuntu from Unity to Gnome easily so if I need that to get used to it then I can do that.

-Jeroen
 
Old 08-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,305
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2857Reputation: 2857Reputation: 2857Reputation: 2857Reputation: 2857Reputation: 2857Reputation: 2857Reputation: 2857Reputation: 2857Reputation: 2857Reputation: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen52 View Post
I hope that it is not something totally different.
Similarities are they both use a Linux kernel, GNU userland and come with documentation but that's about it. Centos is a RHEL derivative and Ubuntu stems from Debian. RHEL stands for stability, security and support longevity (gotta love distributions who don't give back to upstream make those claims) and Ubuntu, well, you probably know best why it appeals to you. IMHO you'll just have to learn to use the Other Distribution from scratch.
 
Old 08-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Jeroen52
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 (Final)
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
Similarities are they both use a Linux kernel, GNU userland and come with documentation but that's about it. Centos is a RHEL derivative and Ubuntu stems from Debian. RHEL stands for stability, security and support longevity (gotta love distributions who don't give back to upstream make those claims) and Ubuntu, well, you probably know best why it appeals to you. IMHO you'll just have to learn to use the Other Distribution from scratch.
Are there popular things on Linux that do run on Ubuntu but not on CentOS?
 
Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
jk07
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Kubuntu 12.04 LTS, Scientific Linux 6.3
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unless you really like to dig under the hood, it probably will not seem that much different to you, especially if you use Gnome or KDE or whatever your favorite desktop environment is. Ubuntu is really easy to learn and use. Yes, CentOS uses YUM and RPM packages, and Ubuntu uses apt-get and deb packages, but that is a difference that is easy to adjust to. My last Linux distribution was OpenSuse (RPM-based), and now I am using Ubuntu. Ubuntu is easy to adjust to ... I personally think that it is too easy.
 
Old 08-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
jk07
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Kubuntu 12.04 LTS, Scientific Linux 6.3
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen52 View Post
Are there popular things on Linux that do run on Ubuntu but not on CentOS?
While I don't know of any particular packages, Ubuntu boasts over 30,000 packages whereas Fedora (distant relative of CentOS) says it has only 10,000 or so. If that is true then, yes, there must be packages that exist in the Ubuntu repositories that are not in the CentOS repositories.
 
Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Jeroen52
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 (Final)
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk07 View Post
Unless you really like to dig under the hood, it probably will not seem that much different to you, especially if you use Gnome or KDE or whatever your favorite desktop environment is. Ubuntu is really easy to learn and use. Yes, CentOS uses YUM and RPM packages, and Ubuntu uses apt-get and deb packages, but that is a difference that is easy to adjust to. My last Linux distribution was OpenSuse (RPM-based), and now I am using Ubuntu. Ubuntu is easy to adjust to ... I personally think that it is too easy.
Well you are making it difficult for me.
I really love the layout of CentOS and how it is.
But I really want to know if it is exactly the same like CentOS and it can run exact the same.
Also I want to know what kinda commands are different like CentOS has YUM and RPM and I am already used to that and Ubuntu got apt-get and deb packages, and I am totally not used to that.
What is the difference between apt-get and yum and are there commands that are also different?
 
Old 08-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Jeroen52
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 (Final)
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
And also, on my CentOS Server (never leaving my CentOS Server behind, although I am changing Desktop) I do have the RPMForge and EPEL Repository added, I know that EPEL and RPMForge can not go on Ubuntu, does Ubuntu have any big Repositories that can be added and can you name them so I can install them once I got Ubuntu?
Also, if you go on the web and look for programs, you see far more RPM Packages than DEB packages, is Ubuntu RPM Compatible or can't it?
 
Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
jk07
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Kubuntu 12.04 LTS, Scientific Linux 6.3
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I don't know exactly what commands are different because I have never used CentOS. Both CentOS and Ubuntu use the same GNU tools so I would think that most of the commands are the same or very similar. They have different init script styles though, but again you probably wouldn't notice that if you don't do your own init scripts. As far as other differences, I don't know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen52 View Post
And also, on my CentOS Server (never leaving my CentOS Server behind, although I am changing Desktop) I do have the RPMForge and EPEL Repository added, I know that EPEL and RPMForge can not go on Ubuntu, does Ubuntu have any big Repositories that can be added and can you name them so I can install them once I got Ubuntu?
Also, if you go on the web and look for programs, you see far more RPM Packages than DEB packages, is Ubuntu RPM Compatible or can't it?
Ubuntu will automatically add its main repositories and only rarely would you have to add one.

Here is a link to an old thread that might help you:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ubuntu-634467/



I'm not trying to convince you to change to Ubuntu. I have my own problems with Ubuntu so I certainly cannot say that it is the OS for everybody.

Last edited by jk07; 08-03-2012 at 08:23 PM.
 
Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
evo2
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Debian, SL
Posts: 5,318

Rep: Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142
Hi,

other that what is already mentioned one of the big differences is probably that by default Ubuntu is setup to use sudo instead of su for getting root privileges (but there is no reason you can't modify this).

I have two questions.
1. You seem to not know much about Ubuntu: so what is motivating you to use it?
2. Are you aware that this is the Debian forum?

Evo2.
 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
Jeroen52
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 (Final)
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
1. Well I see that people that I know are using Ubuntu and they say it is easy to use.
2. I was not aware this is the Debian forum.

By the way, this can be locked and archived because I have Ubuntu installed right now.
 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,299

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen52 View Post
1. Well I see that people that I know are using Ubuntu and they say it is easy to use.
'buntu users always make this claim... until it breaks (or they break it...).

I can see no valid reason for switching from a stable distribution like CentOS to... something like 'buntu. If you want newer versions of some software, or support for some particular hardware then fair enough I suppose, but so far you haven't given any real details as to why you're switching apart from the above.

 
Old 08-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
Jeroen52
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 (Final)
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravel View Post
'buntu users always make this claim... until it breaks (or they break it...).

I can see no valid reason for switching from a stable distribution like CentOS to... something like 'buntu. If you want newer versions of some software, or support for some particular hardware then fair enough I suppose, but so far you haven't given any real details as to why you're switching apart from the above.

Well I think it is more stable than Windows and the other reason is that I could not get WLAN working on my laptop on CentOS 6.2, one more is because it is easier to install programs on (I have heard).
 
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,299

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen52 View Post
Well I think it is more stable than Windows
Well technically, no it's isn't. Windows release a stable system roughly every few years. A release gets security patches and that's it. 'buntu on the other hand releases every six months, whether it's ready or not - users then have to work with or work around the bugs and other issues, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen52 View Post
and the other reason is that I could not get WLAN working on my laptop on CentOS 6.2, one more is because it is easier to install programs on (I have heard).
Well surely if you cannot get wlan working, you'd ask a question and try to resolve it rather than switching distro? If a particular wireless adaptor won't work in one distro, but will work in another, 9 times out of 10 it's due to the one having a newer kernel (and thus driver or a newer driver for the device) than the other.

As to package management, I've not used CentOS, but presumably it uses yum much like Fedora? So:

Code:
# yum install foo
Fairly standard in 'buntu is
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install bar
 
Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
Jeroen52
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: CentOS 6.5 (Final)
Posts: 13

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
You guys really make me doubt if I should keep it.
 
Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
evo2
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Japan
Distribution: Debian, SL
Posts: 5,318

Rep: Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142Reputation: 1142
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen52 View Post
You guys really make me doubt if I should keep it.
Why don't you use it for a while and then decide for yourself if fulfils your needs?

Evo2.
 
  


Reply

Tags
centos, desktop, difference, ubuntu


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ubuntu-desktop vs. kubuntu-desktop vs. xubuntu-desktop vs. lubuntu-desktop vs. unity Kenny_Strawn Ubuntu 18 05-13-2011 09:20 AM
Problems switching desktop in centos 5.5 (redhat?) darsunt Red Hat 2 04-19-2011 12:47 AM
switching from CentOS to debian piforever Debian 8 01-03-2010 10:27 AM
ppp0 and ppp1 keep switching around centos andycol Linux - Server 2 11-23-2009 02:12 AM
KDE 3.3 Bad Monitor Switching on Desktop Switching Inchoate Linux - Software 1 05-25-2005 02:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration