My test in VirtualBox went really well AFAICT.
After the command above, I took all the .deb files from /var/cache/apt/archives and did a:
When the smoke cleared, everything seemed in order, except for a few broken dependencies (one was libc6 and the rest were OpenOffice.org-related). I took care of those with a:
sudo apt-get -f upgrade
They were fixed from the cache (apt-get didn't download anything), so I should be good when I do this on the real system. I'm gonna do a few more tests in VirtualBox to make sure everything is fine, and if so then I'm all set to do this for real.
Thanks for the tip, acid_kewpie
. I would have wasted a lot of time if you hadn't nudged me in the right direction. Doing this with DPKG is kinda cool, felt like I was on Slackware for a minute. Of course, I wouldn't have had these broken dependencies on Slackware!