LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
YellowPlague
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Distribution: ubuntu (kubuntu)
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Problem w/ Dual Head 6600gt xorg.conf


Having a problem with an nVidia 6600gt getting dual head to work with Dapper.

Here's the Xorg.0.log file...

X Window System Version 7.0.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.15.7 i686
Current Operating System: Linux nicotine 2.6.15-27-386 #1 PREEMPT Sat Sep 16 01:51:59 UTC 2006 i686
Build Date: 16 March 2006
Before reporting problems, check (removed url)
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Sep 21 20:04:14 2006
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Parse error on line 163 of section ServerLayout in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
"nerama"" is not a valid keyword in this section.
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal server error:
no screens found
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor


Thanks...
 
Old 09-21-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
YellowPlague
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Distribution: ubuntu (kubuntu)
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
More info...

My video card is a dual head 6600GT and I have Identical Viewsonic G90fb monitors.
So the Monitor0 and Monitor1 sections are an exact copy of my working xorg.conf file which is only setup for one monitor.

It gets stuck when I tell it to restart the X-server (from the menu at the login screen) at the Kubuntu splash screen with no bar progress (which I don't think it should be showing) although the secondary monitor shows this same screen with messed up colors.

So I ctrl-alt-F1 it to a tty session and kill -9 the kdm. Then I copy my original xorg.conf back and do a kdm start command. (If I don't kill -9 it, I can't use restart. And plain old kill just takes me back to the stuck screen.) One I get back into my desktop, firefox loads and says the last session crashed, so I think it's actually running, just not updating video?

Any help will be appreciated.





Here's My xorg.conf file...

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
# path to defoma fonts
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
# Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "type1"
# Load "freetype"
Load "dbe"
# Load "v4l"
Load "vbe"
Load "xtrap"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Video0"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Video1"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-97
VertRefresh 50-160
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-97
VertRefresh 50-160
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Video0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Video1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

#Section "ServerFlags"
# Option "Xinerama"
#Endsection



Thanks
 
Old 09-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,513

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPlague
Having a problem with an nVidia 6600gt getting dual head to work with Dapper.

Here's the Xorg.0.log file...

X Window System Version 7.0.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.15.7 i686
Current Operating System: Linux nicotine 2.6.15-27-386 #1 PREEMPT Sat Sep 16 01:51:59 UTC 2006 i686
Build Date: 16 March 2006
Before reporting problems, check (removed url)
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Sep 21 20:04:14 2006
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Parse error on line 163 of section ServerLayout in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
"nerama"" is not a valid keyword in this section.
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal server error:
no screens found
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor


Thanks...

That is an error with the file did you use it exactly as I wrote it in the other thread? Because I have the Xinerama section properly commented out and it is only finding nerama with this error.
 
Old 09-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
YellowPlague
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Distribution: ubuntu (kubuntu)
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I noticed that too

I noticed the "nerama" part also, so I checked the xorg.conf file, and it was commented out properly. I also copied and pasted your post, so it wasn't a typo...

I thought it was odd also.

I'm going to comment it out after the tab to see if it makes a difference...

Last edited by YellowPlague; 09-21-2006 at 10:08 PM.
 
Old 09-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
YellowPlague
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Distribution: ubuntu (kubuntu)
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
No change,

I removed the tab before ...

# Option "Xinerama"

so now it looks like...

#Option "Xinerama"

Yet I still get the parsing error, only it says line 164 instead of 163 now.
(it's actually on line 163)

Last edited by YellowPlague; 09-21-2006 at 10:16 PM.
 
Old 09-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,513

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPlague
I removed the tab before ...

# Option "Xinerama"

so now it looks like...

#Option "Xinerama"

Yet I still get the parsing error, only it says line 164 instead of 163 now.
(it's actually on line 163)
That is strange I just copied it into Kwrite and turned on the line numbers and I only get 163 in total it looks like you may have a blank line or two at the top of the file remove them and the Xinerama section at the bottom.
 
Old 09-21-2006, 10:32 PM   #7
YellowPlague
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Distribution: ubuntu (kubuntu)
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Oh crap...

I removed the first line which was blank.
And removed the last four lines.

Here's where we are now. Starting at the last informational message before I get a warning and some errors...
Thank you for your patience.

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module nvidia
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/kbd_drv.so
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 7.0.0, module version = 1.0.1
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.5
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/mouse_drv.so
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 7.0.0, module version = 1.0.3
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.5
(EE) No drivers available.

Apparently I'm missing the nvidia module?
 
Old 09-21-2006, 10:46 PM   #8
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,513

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPlague
I removed the first line which was blank.
And removed the last four lines.

Here's where we are now. Starting at the last informational message before I get a warning and some errors...
Thank you for your patience.

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module nvidia
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/kbd_drv.so
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 7.0.0, module version = 1.0.1
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.5
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/mouse_drv.so
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 7.0.0, module version = 1.0.3
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.5
(EE) No drivers available.

Apparently I'm missing the nvidia module?
Well that suggests that you have not installed the nvidia driver. Have you installed it if so which driver did you use official Nvidia or distro packages?
 
Old 09-21-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
YellowPlague
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Distribution: ubuntu (kubuntu)
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
You're right

I hadn't installed nvidia's drivers.

I have it downloaded now, and gotten the linux header files I need after getting an error message about not having them.

Wish me luck...

Thanks for your help, I bet I'll be back tho...
 
Old 09-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
YellowPlague
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Distribution: ubuntu (kubuntu)
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Rock 'n Roll

Thanks for the help,

I finally got it going after installing nvidia driver from their site, getting the sdk for xorg, and using your xorg.conf file.

You've been a real help.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't dual head Xorg with PCI-e NV7600GS under Dapper 6.06 srodden Linux - Software 2 08-27-2006 03:26 AM
Independent resolution Dual Head Xorg on 6600GT PCI-E kojo_chaos Linux - Software 0 05-18-2006 12:46 PM
xorg.conf - Dual Monitors rizhun Linux - Hardware 0 04-14-2006 11:47 AM
ATI driver refuses dual head in xorg.conf sectorz Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 12-20-2005 04:39 PM
xorg.conf x800 radeon and dual head matttah Linux - Hardware 0 12-03-2005 03:17 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration