In which subforum is this posted
And Ubuntu does things different (don't ask me why).
This will probably work:
- Boot the normal way but don't login at the graphical user interface
- Switch to a console (press <ctrl><alt>Fx> where X is 1..6) and login
- Type sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop and press <enter>
- Install the driver
- Type sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start and press <enter>
- Not sure if you will get the graphical interface after the last command; if not, you can try to switch to to the graphical environment using <ctrl><alt><F7>
Please note that this applies to Ubuntu and will more than likely be incorrect for Kubuntu or Xubuntu (try to replace gdm with kdm if you use Kubuntu)
You might still have to configure X afterwards.
If it does not work, pleaae post which Ubuntu version your using (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, ...; 6.06, 7.04, ...)