UbuntuThis forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I do not know if any of you have had this problem before. The QtParted program which comes with the Dapper Drake release displayed wrong numbers for my partitions. For example, it displayed /dev/hdc6, while the actual partition is /dev/hdc8. Then based on the graphical display of the partitions on the top, I tried formatting the partition /dev/hdc6. But, it ended up farmatting the actual /dev/hdc6 which was in a different position. In fact, I lost some data due to this.
Has anyone else had this problem? I there a workaround for this problem?
My plan was to resize /dev/sda5 -> 170GB and create 30GB ext3 partition for "/home" where I could backup my home-dir from /dev/sda1. Qtparted did the job and new 30GB partition appeared as /dev/sda6 and my ntfs-partition moved to /dev/sda7. It seemed logical but then I left-clicked "Format" to new partition /dev/sda6 and result was that it formatted my 32-bit XP partition (which was originally /dev/sda6). I checked with fdisk that new linux-partition number was /dev/sda7, not /dev/sda6 like qtparted showed. So somehow I can confirm this misleading behaviour.
It would have been better for me if it had been that XP x64 partition that destroyed, which is waste of blocks in disk. Well, now I can reinstall partitions however I want...
I have posted the same post in kubuntu forums too. but no one had a solution to this. I think it is a bug in the current version of QtParted. I hope it would be fixed in the next release. Till then fdisk would be my choice.