LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
abhishekgit
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, Rhel5,openSUSE
Posts: 165

Rep: Reputation: 12
Linux ltsp client failing to boot. After ubuntu splash screen, it dumps me to busybox


Hello everyone,
I have installed ubuntu ltsp from ubuntu 12.04 alternate cd in VMware workstation 10. The client is also a VM for testing purposes. The server has 2 nics. DHCP and Network interface for eth0 are properly configured. The client even picks up the ip from the dhcp pool and boots upto a point. After Ubuntu splash screen, this is what i get.
Code:
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default    ok
mount: mounting /dev/nbd0 on /root failed: Input/output error
/scripts/init-bottom/ltsp: line 27: panic: not found
chroot: can't execute '/usr/bin/test': No such file or directory
mount: mounting /root on /rofs failed: Invalid arguement
mount: mounting /rofs on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed
.
.
.
.
.
Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init-ltsp
No init found. Try passing init= bootarg

(initramfs)_
I have googled a lot and found this as one of the most common issues. Being a newbie I am not able to resolve this issue as per "one or two" successful resolutions on the web. Kindly help me on this. Thanks!
 
Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,082

Rep: Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekgit View Post
Hello everyone,
I have installed ubuntu ltsp from ubuntu 12.04 alternate cd in VMware workstation 10. The client is also a VM for testing purposes. The server has 2 nics. DHCP and Network interface for eth0 are properly configured. The client even picks up the ip from the dhcp pool and boots upto a point. After Ubuntu splash screen, this is what i get.
Code:
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default    ok
mount: mounting /dev/nbd0 on /root failed: Input/output error
/scripts/init-bottom/ltsp: line 27: panic: not found
chroot: can't execute '/usr/bin/test': No such file or directory
mount: mounting /root on /rofs failed: Invalid arguement
mount: mounting /rofs on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed
Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init-ltsp
No init found. Try passing init= bootarg

(initramfs)_
I have googled a lot and found this as one of the most common issues. Being a newbie I am not able to resolve this issue as per "one or two" successful resolutions on the web. Kindly help me on this. Thanks!
You HAVE INSTALLED, or you are TRYING TO INSTALL via PXE boot??? Based on what you posted, it's not clear. Also, you don't say what the "one or two" things you've tried are, or what the results were. And what guide are you following to get this to work? And why are you loading 12.04 LTS, when the latest is 14.04?? And after two years, 'newbie' isn't accurate.

Last edited by TB0ne; 07-24-2014 at 09:50 AM.
 
Old 07-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
abhishekgit
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, Rhel5,openSUSE
Posts: 165

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 12
@TBone
I have followed a tutorial from ubuntu forums. I have already installed. The client is also booting successfully from the image generated by the ltsp server. After ubuntu splash screen, I get that error. Its like a shell prompt where everything works but a login screen is expected. I've seen some successful tutorials on 12.04 thats why i didn't go for 14.04.
 
Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,082

Rep: Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekgit View Post
@TBone
I have followed a tutorial from ubuntu forums.
And AGAIN...you don't tell us WHAT guide you followed.
Quote:
I have already installed.
Doesn't look like it, since the very first line of your output says you're loading the pxelinux config, which is what you do when you're doing the install...after that', it's INSTALLED, and runs off your hard drive.
Quote:
"The client is also booting successfully from the image generated by the ltsp server. After ubuntu splash screen, I get that error. Its like a shell prompt where everything works but a login screen is expected. I've seen some successful tutorials on 12.04 thats why i didn't go for 14.04.
Again, 12.04 is OLD...use the latest versions of things, and your problem may go away. Since this is a new installation, and it already doesn't work, you certainly won't lose anything by upgrading.

Again, unless you tell us what you've done/followed, we can't guess as to why things are failing. You still haven't answered the questions from the first post either.
 
Old 07-28-2014, 04:01 AM   #5
abhishekgit
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, Rhel5,openSUSE
Posts: 165

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 12
@TBone,
"Its already installed" I meant the ltsp server is installed as I've mentioned. What I was trying to install was the client. And 14.04 doesn't provide alternate-iso. The couldn't get the download file which is the reason i went for 12.04. Anyway, this problem is solved too because i switched to Vsphere from workstation. As the virtual switch is already configured, the clients booted up with no problem. I need to get my dhcp configuration concepts clear. I think that was the reason the boot process on clients was failing in VMware workstation
 
Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,082

Rep: Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekgit View Post
@TBone,
"Its already installed" I meant the ltsp server is installed as I've mentioned. What I was trying to install was the client.
Right...which brings us right back to "it IS installed, or you're TRYING to install"...and the answer is now revealed to be you're TRYING to install it via PXE boot.
Quote:
And 14.04 doesn't provide alternate-iso.
No idea what you mean here. There are many 'alternate' images on the Ubuntu site, for different architectures, different install methods, etc. Not hard to find.
Quote:
The couldn't get the download file which is the reason i went for 12.04. Anyway, this problem is solved too because i switched to Vsphere from workstation. As the virtual switch is already configured, the clients booted up with no problem. I need to get my dhcp configuration concepts clear. I think that was the reason the boot process on clients was failing in VMware workstation
Glad it's working, but you're wrong...there is NO reason to use 12.04 for a new installation.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Splash screen during Linux kernel boot ba_kirang Linux - Software 1 05-31-2014 04:20 PM
LTSP client or PXE boot client Ipolit Linux - Server 2 09-09-2013 11:46 AM
Cant login,boot splash screen problems in ubuntu. juillet Linux - Hardware 1 11-25-2009 02:23 PM
Ubuntu failing to load after splash? burgergetsbored Linux - Software 3 06-06-2009 06:45 PM
how to change boot screen,splash screen,login themes while custmzing ubuntu cd project_sap Linux - Newbie 1 04-07-2008 08:12 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration