You both must be having the follow files..
Of the format .tar.gz
Try the following steps..
1. Copy the files from your floppy* to your home directory(preferably)
2. Open the terminal..
3. Locate the directory in which these files are present and use the following command..
tar -xzf <filename.tar.gz>
4. Theoretically, the above command will create a directory with the same name as the filename minus the extension.
5. Use CD and enter the directory..
6. Use the ls command to list all the files in that directory..
7. You will have to run these commands (if they exist) at the terminal prompt..
$ ./make install
8. Run the above commands in that order according to their existence when you do ls..
9. Your programs are INSTALLED
* I hope you know how to mount the floppy drive.. If not, read this