LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Ubuntu (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/)
-   -   I Like Kubuntu 11.04 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/i-like-kubuntu-11-04-a-878388/)

jazpaisley 05-02-2011 02:20 PM

I Like Kubuntu 11.04
 
You guys realy out did your self, very nice
and looking good too.

kindofabuzz 05-03-2011 06:53 AM

linuxquestions.org had nothing to do with kubuntu 11.04.

arizonagroovejet 05-03-2011 11:59 AM

Maybe try
http://www.kubuntu.org/contact-us

Tinkster 05-03-2011 05:46 PM

Moved: This thread is more suitable in <Ubuntu> and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.

Mr. Bill 05-04-2011 07:56 AM

I haven't yet upgraded to 11.04, but I do like the new KDE 4.4.5 on 10.04. :cool:

Booboo 05-06-2011 01:35 AM

Although this is not the best place to congratulate the folks from the Ubuntu team, its still nice to see that there are people that enjoy their new release.

By some time in the past I got annoyed by the Fedora OS, so I switched to Ubuntu which at that moment seemed great.
But in version 11.04 got annoyed by Unity, but fixed easy by choosing Ubuntu Classic at the GDM login screen, Sun Java JRE(or JDK) is not in the default Canonical Partners repositories anymore (maybe they'll fix that later) I've searched, found, and applied a fairly easy fix to that, but I am still not too happy about that change.

Applications that I miss but still managed so far to install until 10.10:
Grip - for converting audio CD's to OGG or mp3
BUOH - the only comic book reader on any platform! its dying on Linux, not on windows(never was), and I think its also not available on Apple too.
XMMS - Audio player, the player that fits my needs, these new players of today have way too many options that I don't need

The fact is that I'm getting older and older, and the older I get I'm more unsatisfied with different stuff.
Whatever you enjoy, enjoy it wile it lasts, until you're not too old ! :)

Tinkster 05-06-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booboo (Post 4348062)
Applications that I miss but still managed so far to install until 10.10:
Grip - for converting audio CD's to OGG or mp3

grip ... yes, I remember ... because of its increasing GNOME
dependencies I gave up on it many moons ago because compiling
it on Slackware w/o dragging tons of gnome stuff in became
impossible. Can't really blame its absence on the buntu guys,
it may simply not be maintained anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booboo (Post 4348062)
XMMS - Audio player, the player that fits my needs, these new players of today have way too many options that I don't need

I'm almost certain that's still available via some backport.
Installed it on debian squeeze the other day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booboo (Post 4348062)
The fact is that I'm getting older and older, and the older I get I'm more unsatisfied with different stuff.
Whatever you enjoy, enjoy it wile it lasts, until you're not too old ! :)

Heh. I hear yah ;D

utahgirl 05-08-2011 09:49 PM

desktop interface changing
 
Is it just me or what...

I wish there was a static desktop interface option that would only minimally change from one Ubuntu version to another. I don't have time to explore what is where every time they decide to "improve" its interface.

Just looking at the pictures of the new Ubuntu makes me want to go to Mandrake 9 years ago.

For example, Windows 7 annoys me even more than XP because everything tries to look so pretty and fluid that it is distracting me. Everything is semi-transparent, expanding, contracting and floating as if I was delirious. Same with their latest Office... its menu system is out right idiotic. What was wrong with the old pull down menus? Gosh I hope OpenOffice does not try to copy that.

Anyways, if Ubuntu could add a button that says "switch to an ugly, plain, simple and quick desktop interface" I would be ecstatic. Call me a dinosaur!

widget 05-08-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utahgirl (Post 4350459)
Is it just me or what...

I wish there was a static desktop interface option that would only minimally change from one Ubuntu version to another. I don't have time to explore what is where every time they decide to "improve" its interface.

Just looking at the pictures of the new Ubuntu makes me want to go to Mandrake 9 years ago.

For example, Windows 7 annoys me even more than XP because everything tries to look so pretty and fluid that it is distracting me. Everything is semi-transparent, expanding, contracting and floating as if I was delirious. Same with their latest Office... its menu system is out right idiotic. What was wrong with the old pull down menus? Gosh I hope OpenOffice does not try to copy that.

Anyways, if Ubuntu could add a button that says "switch to an ugly, plain, simple and quick desktop interface" I would be ecstatic. Call me a dinosaur!

You could stick to the LTS or, better yet, shitch to Debian. Debian testing is what the LTS is based on. For 10.04 that was Squeeze which is now the Stable release. Has the advantage over the LTS in that it is not as bloated and works somewhat faster.

Debian testing is what I use but I do nave an install (just in case) of Squeeze. Very nice OS. Debian is not much into eye candy. They figure you can add that yourself.

widget 05-09-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booboo (Post 4348062)
Although this is not the best place to congratulate the folks from the Ubuntu team, its still nice to see that there are people that enjoy their new release.

By some time in the past I got annoyed by the Fedora OS, so I switched to Ubuntu which at that moment seemed great.
But in version 11.04 got annoyed by Unity, but fixed easy by choosing Ubuntu Classic at the GDM login screen, Sun Java JRE(or JDK) is not in the default Canonical Partners repositories anymore (maybe they'll fix that later) I've searched, found, and applied a fairly easy fix to that, but I am still not too happy about that change.

Applications that I miss but still managed so far to install until 10.10:
Grip - for converting audio CD's to OGG or mp3
BUOH - the only comic book reader on any platform! its dying on Linux, not on windows(never was), and I think its also not available on Apple too.
XMMS - Audio player, the player that fits my needs, these new players of today have way too many options that I don't need

The fact is that I'm getting older and older, and the older I get I'm more unsatisfied with different stuff.
Whatever you enjoy, enjoy it wile it lasts, until you're not too old ! :)

Both xmms(2) and grip are in the Debian testing repo. You are just using the wrong OS. If it is not fancy Ubuntu does not want it.

Edit;
There are 2 comic book readers, know nothing about them or if they are in the Ubuntu repo, but there is "comix" which is GTK and "qcomicbook" which is qt.

tommcd 05-09-2011 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booboo (Post 4348062)
Grip - for converting audio CD's to OGG or mp3

Try using asunder. It is in the Ubuntu repos. Asunder is a good CD ripper that is light on resources and works well. Install lame as well for mp3 support.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Booboo (Post 4348062)
XMMS - Audio player, the player that fits my needs, these new players of today have way too many options that I don't need

The closest thing to XMMS in the Ubuntu repos is audacious. Audacious is much lighter than the bloated Rhythmbox or Amarok, and does everything I need a music player to do.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Booboo (Post 4348062)
The fact is that I'm getting older and older, and the older I get I'm more unsatisfied with different stuff.
Whatever you enjoy, enjoy it wile it lasts, until you're not too old ! :)

Try using Lubuntu, which uses the LXDE desktop. I have ben using Lubuntu since 10.10 came out, and I have been very happy with it. Lubuntu is fast and light and has a clean and simple interface with the LXDE desktop. There have been no big changes to the Lubuntu desktop since 11.04 came out. That is the way I like it. (I am getting older too!)

tommcd 05-09-2011 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utahgirl (Post 4350459)
Is it just me or what...
I wish there was a static desktop interface option that would only minimally change from one Ubuntu version to another. I don't have time to explore what is where every time they decide to "improve" its interface.

No, it is definitely not just you! I feel the same way.
You also may want to have a look at Lubuntu. The LXDE desktop on Lubuntu is uncluttered and simple. It is also much faster than the increasingly bloated Ubuntu.

widget 05-09-2011 11:23 AM

Lubuntu is coming on fast. The folks there are doing a great job.

You can try it on your current install as I believe the Lubuntu desktop environment is in your repo. Just install it and then choose it on your next reboot on the bottom panel of the login screen.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.