UbuntuThis forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am reluctant to bring this up, since I realize that 1.5 isn't officially supported yet by Breezy, but, like many people I am sure, I've installed 1.5 (now at 220.127.116.11). I put it in /opt, as suggested on the Ubuntu wiki. In any case, 1.5 frequently crashes, more often then not in the background; it will spontaneously just close, or it will freeze up and I have to kill it.
I thought perhaps it was an unruly extension. So I systematically disabled all the extensions I had installed. Nope. I thought maybe it was Gmail. Don't think so either. Tried launching firefox from terminal to see if there are any useful error message, but nothing there either. What could be maikng it so unstable?... Anyone else seeing this?
If I don't get to the bottom of this now, I am hoping that the forthcoming Dapper will solve this problem.
Yeah it crashes for me too. I think it's a conflict with java. I can click on some links with it and it just closes. If I go to the same site using another browser it ususally has java in the startup page. Firefox guys probably know about it and will fix it sooner or later.
I think it may be Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I was experiencing the same problem with 1.07 and upgraded to 1.5. If anything it made the situation worse. I don't recall ever having the problem when running Slackware.
My firefox crashes often as well. Another annoying problem is, that some sites block the whole browser. For example ebay, while loading the page, I can not use firefox on the other pages (tabs I mean). It is so annoying that I sometimes use Opera, but that has it's shortcomings as well.
The issue may not be Ubuntu/Kubuntu, but I also never experienced this problem when running Slackware and I have used Firefox since the time it was still considered Beta. Perhaps it is something installed seperately from a standard install (universe) but it still is annoying as hell and seems to be nearly impossible to track down.....