LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Ubuntu (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/)
-   -   Can't find installed software in applications (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/cant-find-installed-software-in-applications-506095/)

klarsin 11-29-2006 11:51 PM

Can't find installed software in applications
 
I downloaded and installed: nvu, wine and gnucash. nvu was put under programing but wine and gnucash don't show anywhere in the application menus. I reinstalled them but they still are nowhere to be found.

Also, these applications don't show a Ubuntu icon by them in synaptics. What does this mean?



Using dapper w/ dial-up modem for downloads

Micro420 11-30-2006 01:14 AM

It just means you have to add them manually into the panel. not a big deal. You can still run the applications through the command line

klarsin 11-30-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micro420
It just means you have to add them manually into the panel. not a big deal. You can still run the applications through the command line

Shouldn't synaptics have done this for me? Is there a fix for synaptics? I'm not experienced in how to do this manually from the terminal. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

lin_user2004 12-01-2006 01:26 AM

Have you logged out and logged back in after installing those softwares? Cos AFAIK, GNOME doesn't show installed apps unless you log out once and relogin to GNOME.

klarsin 12-01-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lin_user2004
Have you logged out and logged back in after installing those softwares? Cos AFAIK, GNOME doesn't show installed apps unless you log out once and relogin to GNOME.

That was done but still dosn't show two of the three installs that I did on the same day.

I may have to try to it them again by deleting them in synaptics and re-download if that is possible.

lin_user2004 12-01-2006 11:21 AM

Check if you have got Debian as one the menu items and the softwares you have installed may have gone under it.
BTW, which softwares did you install and which of them don't show up. Maybe somebody will be able to point out.

klarsin 12-01-2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lin_user2004
Check if you have got Debian as one the menu items and the softwares you have installed may have gone under it.
BTW, which softwares did you install and which of them don't show up. Maybe somebody will be able to point out.

Debian is checked as 'visible' in the al-a-carte menu editor, but it does not show up in the application menus. Should this be added, and if so, how?

I intalled: nvu (shows under programming), gnucash (not shown), and wine (not shown).

klarsin 12-02-2006 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=It just means you have to add them manually into the panel. not a big deal. You can still run the applications through the command l[/QUOTE]

I found the wine and nucash files in the filing system folders, but still don't know how to add them to the menus or open them in terminal.

DragonSlayer48DX 12-25-2006 03:47 PM

To add an icon to the menu, open alacarte menu editor. Select the menu in which you wish to place the item. Click "File" on the menu bar, and select "New Entry". Browse to- and highlight the program file you wish to add, then click "Open". Add a name, comment, and icon, then click "OK". Item should now appear in the selected menu. Alternatively, if you wish to add the program to the Panel, simply browse to the program file using the "Places/Computer/File System" menu, then drag and drop the file's icon onto the Panel.

For tips and help using Wine, visit:

http://frankscorner.org

klarsin 01-28-2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonslayer48dx
To add an icon to the menu, open alacarte menu editor. Select the menu in which you wish to place the item. Click "File" on the menu bar, and select "New Entry". Browse to- and highlight the program file you wish to add, then click "Open". Add a name, comment, and icon, then click "OK". Item should now appear in the selected menu. Alternatively, if you wish to add the program to the Panel, simply browse to the program file using the "Places/Computer/File System" menu, then drag and drop the file's icon onto the Panel.

For tips and help using Wine, visit:

http://frankscorner.org

Took a long while to get to this but it worked great per your instructions.

Thanks

DragonSlayer48DX 01-29-2007 04:19 AM

No problem... Glad I could help.

fragos 01-29-2007 07:13 PM

wine isn't added to the menues because its not an application by itself. You can however add manual entries for applications such as "wine photoshop". GNUcash should have been placed in the office menu tree. That's where Synaptic placed mine.

klarsin 01-30-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fragos
wine isn't added to the menues because its not an application by itself. You can however add manual entries for applications such as "wine photoshop". GNUcash should have been placed in the office menu tree. That's where Synaptic placed mine.

I got several apps including gnucash to run via the applet 'run applications'. And from there some showed up (i.e. gnucash in alacarte menu editor. I also got Autoscketch to run from 'run applications' which is run via wine.

Thanks for the imput


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.