I just had to fix my Ubuntu install - thought I'd try and warn others. I just installed Ubuntu on my Armada M700 laptop - I followed the improvements on ubuntuguide.org and got it all going swimmingly. Then I got cocky and installed a 686 kernel. Even that went okay, but not when I put the "linux-restricted-modules-686" and "linux-restricted-modules-2.6.10-5-686". Suddenly, on next boot, Gnome wouldn't start - some sort of problem with the elf headers in libgcrypt.so.11.
I just went to the failsafe terminal and "sudo apt-get remove linux-restricted-modules-686" and "sudo apt-get remove linux-restricted-modules-2.6.10-5-686" and all seems well... so far.
This is one reason I went mainly to Slackware - when something like this happens, you know that it was something that you did by hand, there isn't any behind-the-scenes f**kery going on as there seems to be with these package managers.