LXer: Will an open source router replace your Cisco router?
Syndicated Linux NewsThis forum is for the discussion of Syndicated Linux News stories.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
* Add the Quagga routing software package to make an OSPF/RIP/BGP router
* Install the Apache web server with Perl/PHP/Python/etc scripting environments
* Use the Asterisk software for a cheap VoIP server for a remote office
* Web content filtering via the Squid proxy package
* Make a captive portal system for wireless networks in cafes or other public access areas
* DNS server using the venerable and always popular BIND software
* Create a network sniffer with the tcpdump utility which writes data to a remote NAS or other storage device
* Combined with a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or an NFS server, a DebRouter can do most anything.