SUSE / openSUSEThis Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
update 9.3 > 10.0 OSS; yet still says 9.3 [solved]
because my harddisk with Slackware 10.0 let me down lately, I needed a running system asap.
So I found a SuSE 9.3 DVD which I today updated to SuSE 10.0 OSS (nearly) without problems. (from DVD)
But YaST and Grub still think that it's a 9.3, which looks confusing at the bootscreen, and confuses YaST, because it neither let's me do an online update nor can I add a 10.0 repository.
So how can I tell my box that it is now on 10.0?
BTW: I installed the system with another configuration. The DVD was on /dev/hdb, now it's on /dev/hdd.
YaST is still always looking at /dev/hdb and complains till I enter /dev/hdd manually.
How can I make that change permanent?
Edit: Found the solution myself. ;-) That's where the fun is in Linux!
Because it seems to happen more often here's what I did:
The Grub Problem is solved by using yast>System>Bootloader
cp /var/adm/YaST/InstSrcManager/IS_CACHE_0x00000001/DESCRIPTION/description to /var/adm/YaST/ProdDB/prod_00000001
I had more than one entry as IS_CACHE_0x00000001 as one exists for each source. So I deleted all sources and added the dvd again. So it became Nr. 1 and the cp command works.
then I had a problem someone else had too: in /var/adm/YaST/ProdDB/ only 1! entry will work. So move your backups of the original files somewhere else or it will not work.
It is not necessary to restart Yast. just click on Patch CD and you will see if it works.
while I was at it I changed the DVD entry to /dev/hdd (see problem above)
Now everything works fine.
This is my first post here, but I got a lot of help from the forums here for my Slackware box during the last year. Hope I can give something back.
Last edited by Runlevel51; 11-12-2005 at 03:33 PM.
As far as your YaST problem is concerned, every program I've used links to the DVD drive through /dev/dvd which is a link to the actual device, /dev/hdd if you open a terminal window and cd to /dev then type "ls -al dvd" I am betting you will show the link is still pointing to /dev/hdb if you go in and recreate the link pointing it to /dev/hdd (ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/dvd) you should also check to see where the /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrecorder point as well, if you have a combo drive and no other optical drives they will all point to /dev/hdd once thats done you should no longer have that problem.