SUSE / openSUSEThis Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am posting this in case someone else has similar problems.
I had installed Suse 9.1 on a friends computer and there service provider was Telus (Alberta, Canada). All worked well. They went away for a couple of weeks during December and when they came back they could not log on to Telus (they use dialup). I tried a few things but nothing seemed to work. Watching the log as it dialed in, I could see that it kept sending and being rejected at the password. I deleted all the modem settings through Yast and reconfigured every thing as new, still no go. I then set up my account and password and tried logging in with my provider (995.ca). It logged on just fine.
So I kept poking around and finally checked "stupid mode" in the configuration setup. Logged on with no problem.
Two days later I get a phone call from another friend who had setup Suse 9.2 for someone else and he asked me if I might know why he could not log on to Telus (he had been called because of this). I laughed. I said I could solve the problem, but it would cost him big bucks ( I got lunch out of him). I explained what I went through. He checked "stupid mode" and his problem was solved.
Sometime in December Telus must have done something with their scripting to cause this problem to come up. I really don't think it was Suse's fault. Telus is very Microsoft Windows centric I believe. Any way I hope that this may help someone if this problems crops up again.