SUSE / openSUSEThis Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I recently changed my network from one IP address to another. I changed all my computers and file/rsync server to the new address.
All my other computers work be it windows/mac some static some dynamic but for the life of me I don't understand why my Linux desktop does not.
When I use DHCP (dynamic address) everything works, but when I use a static address it does not.
My mac and windows boxes have no trouble connecting using a static IP.
This linux box worked fine until I made this change. I know I screwed up something, but for the life of me I don't know what.
I used Yast to change the interface, I turned off the firewall on the linux desktop, but that does not seem to be it.
The hosts file is fine since I can SSH to my server via the server name. But here it is in any case.
# special IPv6 addresses
::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
127.0.0.2 tot100.tot.com tot100
192.168.XXX.5 tot900 tot900
192.169.XXX.75 tot700 tot700
By the way I replaced XXX for the real number.
Any hints on what could be the issue. I ran into a wall.
That was a typo on my part. I was showing the Hosts file to show that I can access the local network when using a static IP, I.E I can access the 192.168.XXX.5 computer but I can not access the Internet. I can also access my router 192.168.XXX.1.
I suppose there is an issue with the eth0 configuration, but since I am using YAST I really don't know what could have gone wrong to the point that it can't correct the issue even using that interface.
So there must be an issue with either Yast or something got corrupted while I was going through the process of changing the IP from 192.168.YYY/24 to 192.168.XXX/24.
All other machines work just fine, and this one as long as it isn't a static IP.
I am going to try to post this on the networking forum as well.