SUSE / openSUSEThis Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Hi is there anybody who have the same problem, and know how to fix it ?
I have Suse 10 ( full version ) runing as a file server, and I have five workstations also with SuSe 10 installed, now when any of the workstations try to open a document from the server they get " General input/output error " but the same document opens perfect with Kword from the server and others, I have totally disabled the firewall on the server, I can read and write to the server from the workstations no problem, if I copy the document to the workstation then I can open it with openoffice, but from the server no luck.
If you configured with CLI, trust SuSE YaST for configuring and use NFS for all Linux networks. YaST is good about setting all the obscure parameters that might be in associated applications or client server relationships.
I'm not using samba I'm using nfs which was exported using Yast and option configured to rw, now the strange thing is that if I re-install to fedora FC3 then everything works, but when I re-install suse10 then everything works I can read and write to the NFS share, but not open any documents from the server with open office or staroffice 8, but Koffice no problems there I can open and modify documents from the server, only open office and star office 8 has this problems, I wonder if it is a DNS issue ?
Hi I installed redhat rhel4 on the server and now everything works 100%, very strange problem with Suse, redhat worked first time and I can open all documents direct from the server.
Thanks for your replies
I have the exact problem described at the start of this thread. I have searched the Internet & found a few references to it, but no solutions.
For me a new distro/version is not an option. To use Openoffice I currently copy the file accross the network to a local partition, edit & copy back. Not a very efficient solution, but the alternative is to use windows & MS Office.
I can offer you a solution that will ease your tedium but perhaps not solve your problem. Use unison or rsync to update across the network. These can be run by command or even be a cron job. Only files that changed will be copied and both the server and desktop will have a copy. I use unison with a memory stick for sneaker net between sites. Unison will tell you if both copies of a file have changed and then its up to you to sort it out. I haven't used rsync but it might be a better choice when changes come from multiple machines. This may not be ideal but anything is better than MS Windows and Office.
My solution was simple and it works, I installed Fedora 4 as server and that works, and suse 10 as workstations, everything works just fine, I can open and edit documents direct from the server, openoffice 2.0 and staroffice 8 all works perfect, from the fedora 4 server.
Why it has to be like this I don't know ? Whby can Novell not fix this problem ? I would be better is the whole network was using the same OS.
It appears we keep coming back to running something other than SUSE.
I have reinstalled SUSE on the server & the workstations. I have checked the NFS shares, options etc & they are spot-on. They mount Ok & i can perform everything, I can even edit documents with Openoffice (Yes it WAS working).
Then I broke it again.. How?? After installation I copied my test documents across to the server & they had root.root ownership. I did all my tests & everything was working. I then finally put sensible permissions on the home document folder & .... It stopped working. I changed the ownership back & it still doesn't work. It seemed to work after fresh installation until I changed permissions on the files.
Please don't ask me to check the permissions, they are correct & every other application I try (except Openoffice) works.
One final clue. If I open the document READ-ONLY (from the openoffice open dialog) the file opens ok. If I then save to a new name I get the error. But looking on the folder the new file is there but 0 bytes (only the directory entry). To me it looks like openoffice had enough permission to create the file, but didn't have WRITE access.
Maybe I can go to bed now.. I can't remember thinking of anything else for days... But I have a fix that is fully working on my system.
I removed the SUSE Novell version & built & installed the official Openoffice.org version to make sure the fault wasn't in the novell version. I got the same problems so *** I think everyone can stay with their own distro version. ***
I then found this fault report in the OpenOffice.org site