SUSE / openSUSEThis Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I used YaST earlier this evening to update Firefox to 1.07. Since that time, I have not been able to get FF to execute in my personal account or with root. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, wiped the entire .mozilla directory in every user account on the sytem, etc. Nothing. What's more frustrating is that FF does load in other user accounts.
Using the Konsole, the error I am getting when loading is:
(Gecko:15101): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1579 (g_object_unref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/usr/bin/firefox: line 259: 15101 Segmentation fault $MOZ_PROGRAM $MOZ_LANG
I'd like just to go back to 1.06, but when I wiped everything again, then tried to reinstall 1.06 from scratch, the same issue arose. Same with 1.05 and 1.02.
Twenty-four hours ago, using 1.06, FF worked fine. With zero changes to anything on the system aside from those involved with the upgrade, the only version I can get to work now is 1.0, the one that came with the SuSE distro. And, when I try to upgrade that, we start all over again.
I tried it both ways, using YaST first, then wiping and starting with the tar.gz file I got from Mozilla.
Obviously, I've bungled something, but I can't for the life of me figure what. I am assuming I did something wrong during the installation of the update and have since left some rogue file or directory somewhere and don't realize it is there.
This evening, I set up an entirely new user account for myself, then copied all my files and directories over from the original except anything having anything to do with Mozilla. Everything is working fine with this account, including FF and Thunderbird. This actually fixed a few other minor problems I'd created for myself when I first installed SuSE not really knowing what I was doing. I suppose one of the joys of Linux is that if you break it, fixing it can be a learning process.
Anyways...I'm still curious, if anyone has any ideas, because I'd like not to repeat this problem again.
hi guys im having the issue also i used yast to upgrade to ff 1.0.7 cause it works on ubuntu i figured hell it should be ok weel how wrong i was now is there a way i can bring old one back and get rid of ff 1.0.7?
ok hi again i reinstalled suse 10 the final release and now is firefox 1.0.7 working?????????? its still in my updates but im not gonna update it if it doesnt work. if noone knows if its been fixed can you atleast steer me in right direction? ive tried irc channels #suse #firefox #mozilla #mozillazine the only one i got an answer on was #suse and they told me they use telnet not firefox. i dont have first clue on what telnet is.
I don't know if I can help because I'm not entirely certain what I did differently the final time, but I did get it to work. I think I may have screwed up the order of things the first time around.
In any case, I wiped all traces of the profile in the home directory of the user that had the problem. Just to be safe, I wiped any profile (the entire .mozilla directory actually) that had been created in any other user's profile and in root. Then I downloaded the tar.gz file directly from mozilla, followed the instructions for installing it that are present there into the <user>/bin directory of that user, and when I was done, it worked.
I'd used the rpm initially, of course, which did an install for all users on the system. I suspect one of the extensions in my user directory didn't like something about the 1.07 version and borked it for that user. Why my initial attempts to fix that didn't work, I don't know. I may simply not have deleted everything I thought I did. (It was late when I was doing this, and I wasn't expecting a problem, so I wasn't organized in my thoughts.) Either that, or something was wrong with the rpm YaST grabbed for the update.
Anyway, I erased everything again, then re-installed it, again from the tarball, into the shared directory under root so that all users could use the browser. It's worked fine ever since.